Minutes of the June 21, 2012 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz, Natalie Borisovets, Theo Haynes (remote and recorder), Jane Otto, Bob Warwick and Invited Guest: Melissa DeFino.
- Ellen Calhoun, Joseph Deodato
1. Defining a new local note field
A new local note (591) has been approved for notes that don't need to be visible in the default display
(e.g., notes for PDA records).
ACTION: 591 will be described as "Local staff note" and become part of the display for all record
formats at RUL. It will not display in the default, but will be visible in the complete display with
the label "Local staff note." Once problem 590s have been moved to the 591 or are otherwise cleaned up
the 590 field will become part of the default for MARC-FULL.
2. Finalize VM-Full changes
Jane Otto's recommended order for fields in the VM-FULL display was reviewed.
- Although not needed for visual media, removing the hyperlinks from the 246 (Variant title) and 490 (Series) fields would have ramifications for all record formats, so these issues will be considered as we continue the review of default displays.
- The 655 (Genre index term) can’t be hyperlinked unless we add it to a browse index (currently it is only in a keyword index). A new browse index for genre terms would have to be defined and we’d need to add additional options to the search menus. The discussion will continue as a separate agenda item at a future meeting to which additional catalogers will be invited.
- The remainder of the recommendations were approved.
ACTION: Bob will generate a report on 490s so that we can determine how many untraced series there are.
ACTION: Bob will move all Jane’s recommendations, with the exception of the 3 hyperlink questions, into
ACTION: Continue the discussion on the 655 and the steps needed to hyperlink it at a future meeting.
3. Project chart review
The project chart has been moved into the committee’s LibGuide. Stephanie will further reorganize it so
there is a single tab that includes action items, issues to investigate, and new features to look at.
The tab that cover completed items will be broken out into academic years.
- The wording for the E-ZBorrow button mouseover will be changed to “Not currently available at Rutgers. Click here to request from another library."
- A small number of users have been submitting missing book reports and account related questions via the Error Report form. LCC will review the button and page to decide whether changes should be made (e.g., the addition of text to suggest the use of AAL or a call to a service desk).
- The Media Booking button has been in the test catalog for some time, but still needs review by Media staff. The current button links to the existing Media Booking page, but we can also create a form internal to the Library Catalog. An internal form would automatically populate from a bib record and be hooked to NetID login. Jane will take the topic to the Media Team to determine the acceptability of the current button, the desirability of an internal form, and the suggested language for the button (if approved).
- Permalinks generated from our call number search don’t work. Bob is investigating.
5. Information Sharing
- It was announced at User Services Council that RUL will be moving to VuFind with a potential 2013 rollout. A new committee, chaired by Joseph Deodato, is being constituted.
- Agenda items for the next meeting: annual report, goals for 2012/2013, the serials default display (with Elizabeth Leister as guest), and 655 hyperlinks.
Next meeting: July 19, 2012, 1:30 p.m.
Theo Haynes, recorder