Minutes of the July 19, 2012 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (chair & recorder), Natalie Borisovets, Ellen Calhoun, Joseph Deodato, Jane Otto, Bob Warwick
- Theo Haynes
1. Annual report
The draft version of LCC's annual report for 2011/2012 was reviewed. Stephanie will make revisions as suggested
and submit it along with the LCC goals year-end update.
2. Goals for 2012/2013
Draft goals for the new academic year were reviewed. Three goals will carry over from last year and two new goals
relating to request buttons/options and bibliographic record displays will be finalized at a future meeting.
3. Updates to Book Special Request page
- Language on the Book Special Request page needs to be updated to accommodate the delivery of reference books among the New Brunswick libraries. Stephanie will draft a revised version of the text and send it Bob for posting in the test system. LCC will review once there's something new to look at.
- Is it possible for a program to be written that will automatically reject inappropriate Book Special Requests? Complex, but may be considered for the future.
- While changes to Book Special Request are taking place, the button will also be renamed Item Special Request (in the test catalog) in order to make it more apparent that it can be used to request materials other than books (e.g., scores). LCC will ask for feedback on the change before implementing it in the production catalog.
- For the longer term, a separate button for requests from the law libraries and other non-RU Libraries will be considered. The form would essentially duplicate the Book Special Request form, but the descriptive language on the two versions of the form could be simplified for the relevant population of users. Button name is, as always, an issue.
4. Button review
The Book Special Request button currently displays on all bibliographic record displays, and must remain on most
because it's used for all requests from the law libraries and other non-RU Libraries. The logic will be changed so
that the button no longer displays if all items have a status of MISSING, OVD-RECALL, any RESV option, or
TEMUNAVAIL. Stephanie will also contact Special Collections and IJS to determine whether the button is appropriate
on records for their materials.
5. Project Chart review
The Project Chart on the LCC workspace Libguide has been updated to reflect format decisions made at the last
meeting. Tasks completed since the last meeting have also been annotated and will be moved as appropriate.
6. Feedback and fixes
None since the last meeting.
7. Information sharing
- Bob received a sample Media Booking form from Jan Reinhart and will be working with Jan to try and develop a request form internal to the Catalog.
- An upgrade to Symphony 3.4.1 is likely to take place later this year. LCC will need to participate in testing.
- There was a general discussion of the website refresh. LCC members were encouraged to submit comments.
8. Next meeting
Originally scheduled for August 16, 1:30 p.m., University Librarian's Conference Room, but will need to be rescheduled. Stephanie will send a Doodle poll.
[Topics for the agenda: goals for 2012/2013, serials default display, 655 field.]