Minutes of the September 26, 2013 Meeting
- Stephanie Bartz (chair); Melissa De Fino (recorder); Theo Haynes (remote); Maria Saimbert; Bob Warwick
- Natalie Borisovets; Ellen Calhoun
- The Committee welcomed new member Maria Saimbert, representing the Health Sciences libraries. A discussion of some of the
questions/issues related to the Health Sciences Catalog and health sciences materials in the Catalog ensued:
- The Health Sciences Catalog ignores the existence of material in libraries other than Smith and RWJ. This needs to be explained fully
- Labels that refer back to UMDNJ (e.g., UMD-ONLINE) are confusing to both users and librarians.
- Are there a substantial number of E-ZBorrow and ILL requests being submitted by users of the Health Sciences Catalog because they
canít see that another Rutgers library holds the material?
- Many health sciences librarians are bypassing the separate catalog in favor of the full Library Catalog. Less confusing and provides
access to material thatís otherwise hidden. Is the HS Catalog an interim measure or intended to be maintained for the long term?
- The need to use the Go Back button is confusing. If the function canít be changed, it needs to be made more prominent.
2. Next steps
- First priority will be to review changes made to the Library Catalog to accommodate UMDNJ integration and website redesign to insure
that all of the information is up-to-date and in agreement and any outstanding issues are addressed. Item special request and book
delivery/recall pages need to have wording revisited to reflect the new campus structure. Stephanie will send updated URLs to Bob so
that links broken with the website redesign can be fixed. Other problems will be fixed as theyíre identified.
- Manuscript, map, and MRDF default displays will be reviewed in the order listed.
- Existing buttons and request options within the Library Catalog will be reviewed to improve the logic that tells the system which
buttons to display, streamline the text, and promote E-ZBorrow. Stephanie will draft a new version of the Book Delivery/Recall page as
a first step.
- Keyword indexes for individual tags need to be reviewed to see whether there are any that can be freed up for new RDA tags.
- A discussion of LC vs LCPER and NLM vs NLMPER classification schemes is also needed.
- The remaining goals/objectives will be undertaken as time permits.
3. Project Chart Review
- Bob is removing field 776 from the browse index. He is about halfway through the reindexing.
- Bob will reindex field 240 to remove brackets from the titles in the index. The brackets have already been removed from the record
- Bob investigated the possibility of changing subject links within records so that they go to a subject browse instead of only to
items with the exact same subject heading. He determined that this cannot be done. Only a hit list can be generated, not a browse list.
- Export to Endnote button is in the works and will be implemented in both the Library Catalog and the Health Sciences Catalog.
- How can National Library of Medicine (NLM) call numbers be displayed on the This Just In page? Should we have a second list or
integrate NLM call numbers into the already existing Library of Congress call number generated list? Melissa will discuss this with the
Health Sciences catalogers.
- Natalie sent a question about whether multiple 856 fields could be reordered to put certain vendors at the top. Because 856s are
added to the catalog from a variety of vendors, we have no control of their order.
- Two people asked why double quote phrase searching no longer works in the catalog. However, the catalog has never been equipped for
double quote phrase searching. It has always been a single quote search.
- A question was raised about collection-level lists on Special Collections records. Remote users have not been able to access these
lists. It appears to be a proxy issue. Melissa will inquire about this.
5. Information sharing
- Stephanie updated our membership list and is waiting for feedback about our charge.
- The LIS Committee is meeting with Grace Agnew tomorrow (9/27) regarding beginning preparations for OLE.
- Bob announced that RUL is moving forward with Unicode, and a webscale discovery product has been recommended.
6. Next meeting
- The next meeting of LCC will be October 17th.