STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of March 7, 2002 Meeting

Present:
Ruth Bogan, Judy Gardner, Nancy Hendrickson, Ann Montanaro, Mary Page, Gracemary Smulewitz, Christopher Sterback (recorder)

1. Save toolbar on server

Chris reported that some staff members were choosing the option to save toolbar on server. This option was made available to logins at the Supervisor and System Administrator in the upgrade to Unicorn 2001 (U2001) run on 1/1/2002. In order to prevent this from occurring, Systems implemented a change (reported on one of the SIRSI lists) so that anyone that chooses this option will now see a message "You are not authorized to save the toolbar on the server."

2. One-day SIRSI conference

RUL will host a one-day SIRSI conference specifically geared for small to medium academic SIRSI DRA Classic customers that SIRSI would like to convince to migrate to Unicorn. The conference will be held on March 22, 2002 in the Alexander Library Pane room from 10:00 a.m. to approximately 3:30 p.m. Details are listed below:

a. All visitors must park in College Ave. lots #26 or #30. Chris emailed to SIRSI a copy of the parking pass that visitors must display when parking in those lots.

b. Ann Montanaro will welcome the group and will introduce Joe Lucia of Lehigh University, the incoming UUGI president. Joe will give a short speech

c. The days events will consist of:

  1. Demonstration of Unicorn LINK
  2. Sirsi-hosted catered "working" lunch
  3. Discussion of the Unicorn migration process by SIRSI's Director of Implementation and Training
  4. Informal dessert and coffee reception for interested DRA classic customers so they can chat with RUL LIS staff about migration issues in a live environment.

d. SIRSI is catering the event using one of the caterers RUL recommends.

3. Database conversion

Chris reported on the details of the SIRSI database files conversion from D-ISAM to C-ISAM to be run on Saturday, March 16

a. The conversion routines are estimated to run from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

b. Systems will run a preconversion full backup, right after the morning notices are generated, from 6:30 to 8:30 a.m.; run the conversion from 8:30 to 4:30; verify the conversion ran successfully and run database checkers from 4:30 to 6:30; then run a post conversion full backup from 6:30 to 9:00.

4. Response Time/Workflows launching problems in U2001

Chris reported that the following has been observed and reported to Systems by some individuals since upgrading to U2001:

a. the length of time from launching WF to completion of startup is taking longer than in the previous version

b. the length of time from clicking on IRIS (Webcat) to the initial search screen is taking longer than the previous version

c. Workflows logins sometimes stall during the login process requiring the staff member to CTRL-ALT-DEL to end the task and relaunch Workflows

d. Execution of Workflows commands occasionally stalls or runs slowly

e. Workflows crashes with a communication failure

Systems has taken the following actions so far:

a. Reported the problem to SIRSI and asked them to examine system configuration files and make recommendations to improve performance - SIRSI did this and recommended changes to the server's kernel parameters; these changes were implemented with a reboot Saturday night (3/9)

b. During the MLK/Annex power shutdown a network switch was "fried" and replaced with a pre-owned spare by TD; there is a possibility that this pre-owned switch may be causing the slowdown; Systems will install a spare switch during Spring Break to test whether performance improves

c. The IRIS server system load is peaking during the middle of the day; should the two steps above not improve response time, Systems will purchase additional memory to handle increased load

5. Dave Hoover asked if old SIRSI Reports at the url below could be removed.

http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rulib/abtlib/libtas/sys/iris/

LIS reviewed these reports and only recommended keeping:

Duplicate materials held in the Annex
Languages in IRIS (98-11)

Please note that the report titled:

Various indexing-related policies (99-04-08) is an outdated version and was removed at the url above. The more current version is under Staff Resources/Systems/Policies and is labeled Various indexing-related policies (12-07-00). (The date on this entry is incorrect and should be 12-07-01)

6. Announcements

a. Judy Gardner - planning to work with Systems on patron initiated holds and automated billing process using SIRSI reports during the second quarter of 2002

b. Gracemary Smulewitz - the Serials Working Group found a way to manipulate items created prior to using Marc Holdings so they sort correctly with items newly created through Marc Holdings

c. Ruth Bogan - requested policy table changes for authority control in the bibliographic formats; will set defaults for provisional authority records in SIRSI authority tables and/or by using keyboard express; issues need to be discussed regarding receiving authority records from Marcive for our government documents records

d. Mary Page - will begin working with Systems on interface between Blackwell Connection Manager and SIRSI; will meet with Bob and Chris the week of 3/11 to configure then test ability to send email notification to Selectors of items ordered by Acquisitions

e. Nancy Hendrickson - continuing to work on Rias project

7. Next meeting

April 4, 2002, TSB conference room

Since Chris will be attending UUGI, the May meeting has been rescheduled to May 9.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lis_implementation_com/minutes/lisimp_02_03_07.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)