STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of December 10, 2012 Meeting

Present:
Stephanie Bartz, Paul Cabelli for Gracemary Smulewitz, Judy Gardner, Jane Sloan, Christopher Sterback (recorder, chair), Bob Warwick, Mary Beth Weber
Excused:
Nancy Hendrickson

1. Review and sign off on upgrade to Symphony 3.4.1 SP2

LIS members reviewed the changes introduced in the upgrade. There were very few changes and nothing was reported as a showstopper. This means that IIS can now schedule the upgrade. Based on schedules, library hours, and holidays, IIS is planning to load the upgrade on Saturday night, January 12, 2013 beginning at 9:00 pm. Chris anticipates that the system will be down for four hours and should be back up and running by 1am on Sunday, January 13, 2013.

2. UMDNJ acquisition plans

Chris and Mary Beth reported on their planning meeting with Grace Agnew in which they identified project tasks, milestones, and timelines to add UMDNJ to our ILS. The plan included a list of major tasks, identification of the individuals responsible for completing the tasks, and a spreadsheet that included task completion dates. Chris reported he has already asked our UMDNJ colleagues for a marc dump of their bib records from their Voyager ILS in order to begin analysis of their bib records. Mary Beth and Chris will be meeting with their counterparts next week to continue the plans for the migration.

Some issues that LIS raised were:

a. What is UMD's OCLC symbol and will they need to change their holdings symbol to NjR?

b. Can we accommodate different displays in our library catalog depending on workstation location? UMD may wish to relabel or suppress certain tags.

c. Will records for their faculty, staff, and students come from ESS in time for migration of any transactions or will we need to develop a process to create these manually? What circulation policies need to be created or updated to accommodate the new categories of UMD users?

d. What libraries, locations and item types will need to created in our ILS to accommodate their physical locations?

e. What percent of their records have OCLC IDs and what percent match or duplicate our records? How will the records overlay? Are any changes needed to our format and indexing policies?

3. Last meeting for Jane Sloan

Now that the responsibilities for Materials Booking are handled by Access Services, beginning in 2013 Judy Gardner will also represent this module on LIS. This was Jane's last meeting and team members thanked Jane for her eleven years of service on LIS.

4. Information sharing, announcements

Mary Beth - along with Fay Austin, Chris, and Bob will be holding a conference call with SirsiDynix this Friday to discuss their plans to implement RDA; Mary Beth is planning to visit LCC and USC to discuss RDA implications; three new staff members were recently hired in CTS - one in Acquisitions and 2 in Cataloging

Bob - observed their will be implications for Rutgers by joining the CIC

Paul - many on DTS are working on the UMDNJ acquisition project

4. Next meeting

The next LIS meeting will be held on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 1:30 p.m. in the TSB conference room.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lis_implementation_com/minutes/lisimp_12_12_10.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)