Minutes of July 16, 2009 Meeting

Grace Agnew, Ron Becker (recorder), Mary Fetzer (chair), Kevin Mulcahy (substituting for Tom Izbicki and Ryan Womack), Laura Mullen, Robert Sewell, Cathy Pecoraro, Vincent Pelote (teleconferenced from Newark), Gracemary Smulewitz, Julie Still (teleconferenced from Camden), Mary Beth Weber.
Karen Hartman, Tom Izbicki, Ann Watkins

1. Approval of Agenda

The agenda was approved with a revision that the Council also needs to select the LRC representative to the Planning and Coordinating Committee.

The minutes of the June 18, 2009 meeting were distributed and approved.


Mary Fetzer was re-elected as LRC Chair for 2009/10. Tom Izbicki was re-elected as LRC representative to the Planning and Coordinating Committee. Both elections were by acclamation.

Chair's report

The LRC membership list for 2009/10 was distributed. The new representative to LRC from the Committee for Scholarly Communications will be appointed by that committee next month. Chairperson Fetzer will compile the LRC annual report. The group agreed that meetings for the coming year will continue to take place on the third Thursday of each month, with the November 19, 2009 meeting to be held at the Robeson Library in Camden, and the May 20, 2010 meeting to be scheduled for the Dana Library in Newark. In the future, minutes will be distributed to LRC members, with a firm deadline for comments, and approved by e-mail rather than waiting for the monthly meeting. Once approved, they will be distributed to RUL_everyone. Our August meeting will begin with a segment on NJVid by Grace Agnew and Jane Sloan; the TLH is scheduled, but depending on the status of renovations, Fetzer may need to change the venue.

AUL updates

Robert Sewell reported that the last fiscal year's materials expenditures totaled $10,086,531. Approximately 85% of these expenditures were from State funds and 15% from non-State. The State funds included those accrued from salary savings which were spent for the prepayment of Lyrasis (formerly PALINET) and VALE subscriptions. A total of $5,113,322, or over 50% of the total budget, was spent on electronic resources on RU-ONLINE, all from State funds. E-resources now represent 82% of our serials expenditures. System-wide purchases (such as RU-ONLINE), institutional memberships (such as CRL), ILL, reserve collections, shipping and service charges, thesis binding, etc. totaled approximately $4.5 million. One-time large purchases of electronic resources totaled $565,000 and were funded by cancellations (over $300,000) and encumbrances that were never received. Gracemary Smulewitz distributed a working list of these resources showing the titles purchased together with the price, selector, fund, and current status of access. Status of access will be updated (and the selectors and team leaders will be notified) as more titles are being made available for use. It will placed on the libraries' T -drive.

Robert Sewell reported further that this year's (FY2010) State allocations have been made. They are exactly the amount spent during the previous year. There is a total budget reduction target of $1.8 million for RUL, the collections portion of which is $725,000. We have the $300,000 already saved through cancellation of duplicates, and the University Librarian is contributing $250,000 from her development (non-State) funds. The latter will be allocated for ILL, memberships, reserves, thesis binding, etc. The new fund code for course reserves will be DREMX. We are still short $175,000 however. To close the gap, we will do additional cancellations and continue to consider switching providers and packages that include similar databases to maximize the use of our funds. We will perform a review of major databases including a title by title cost analysis. A task force will be established soon. Non-state allocations will be done soon with the interest to be posted in September 2009. We purchased less on approval in 2008/09 than we had in the last six years and need to continue to tighten our profiles. It was noted that the University of Maryland has stopped its approval plan and gone to bulk purchases from the vendor instead. Other creative cooperative ventures have been launched and will be studied. Kevin Mulcahy noted that the number of books added at RUL is less than the dip in circulation. Circulation has dropped somewhat, but not significantly. Recent purchases generally circulate very well. He will share this analysis as it is developed with Bob Sewell, Mary Fetzer, and Ryan Womack.

The Committee on Scholarly Communications has three elected members representing arts and sciences, social sciences, and the sciences, plus appointed members from special collections, digital systems, SCC staff, the repository collection manager and three AULs: Bob Sewell (co-chair), Valeda Dent Goodman, and Grace Agnew. Representatives will be also appointed from Newark and/or Camden, and a co-chair will be elected who will represent the committee on LRC. There will be a scholarly communications symposium on October 9th. An RUL Newsletter will be devoted to it as well.

Grace Agnew reported progress on the recruitment for the Director of Integrated Systems position which will replace Ann Montanaro. There are two strong candidates who will be interviewed during the first week in August. The candidates will meet with the search committee, Technical and Automated Services heads, the University Librarian, Cabinet, representatives from Systems, and others. It is anticipated and desired that the successful candidate will begin in September.

We hope to "go live" with NJVid in September. The materials will be available in Fedora and will also have MARC records.

Future plans for the Open Library Environment (OLE) were announced with anticipated funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. The Vale Conference on January 8th, 2010 will focus on OLE. When we have a single statewide catalog, RUL's purchasing patterns will likely change so as to not overlap with other academic libraries in New Jersey. We will also be negotiating for electronic subscriptions as VALE rather than as RUL.

Goals for 2009/2010 preliminary discussion

LRC needs to re-establish a group to study our long-range goals. Preparing for OLE and furthering our development work will be priorities. Since, as previously noted, there is a lack of stable funding for approvals, Grace Agnew recommended that we develop projections of what we will need for the coming years and the benefits of the approval plan to see if we might get a collection endowment started. Fetzer said that a development spot is being added to RUL's website to include solicitations for donations of materials and funds and to include our Drop-off Book Donation policy. We may wish to continue to review policies, and to look further at issues such as de- accessioning, what to do with weeded materials, and last copy policies vis--vis VALE. A fuller goals discussion will take place at the August LRC meeting.


LRC member Vincent Pelote has been elected President of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections.

Julie Still reported on the major renovations at the Robeson Library in Camden which includes the installation of compact shelving. Robeson hopes to have its shadowed collection back on the shelves by mid-October. LRC will hold its November meeting there. Also, Vib Cvetkovic and Katie Anderson, as co-editors of the recently published book Teaching Generation M: A Handbook for Librarians and Educators, are doing a "cappuccino academy" talk at the local Barnes & Noble.

Mary Beth Weber reported that Technical Services is reducing paperwork by automating the notification process. The backlog of newly purchased monographs has been reduced through the efforts of Robert Hilliker; she also noted the previous contributions of Fay Austin to reducing the backlog. Carla Zimmerman is streamlining the gifts process. Technical Services has reorganized its website, which includes links to new documentation and contact lists (see http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/technical_services/technical_services.shtml). Weber also reported on programs she attended at the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, including the ALCTS Heads of Technical Services Interest Group and a program on the Open Knowledge Commons.

Laura Mullen has been appointed chair of the Psychology Committee of the ACRL EBSS section. There was much discussion at ALA on best practices at the discipline level, on consolidation and weeding issues, and on information literacy standards for the disciplines. She is on sabbatical now, but will continue serving on LRC.

Gracemary Smulewitz reported that Distributed Technical Services has a new website (see http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/dts/dts.shtml). Their operations will be consolidated at the Alexander Library, but staff will still be going to the Library of Science and Medicine to work on projects that cannot be consolidated. Usage is being measured of current unbound journals in the Alexander Library and will also be done for LSM. She also reported on ALCTS meetings and programs that she attended at the annual ALA in Chicago. All ProQuest products will be on a single platform but they will stage release dates. Other providers will likely follow which will facilitate federated searching.

Ron Becker reported that Tom Frusciano has been elected to the Council of the Society of American Archivists. The next exhibition in SC/UA will focus on women artists and will be accompanied by a public program on October 5, 2009. Ron also reported on the IMLS funded Connecting to Collections grant to do systematic statewide preservation planning. A survey has been conducted and is being analyzed. Focus groups were constituted and met in late June including two at the Rutgers Library attended by about 40 librarians, museum professionals, and other interested people. A statewide conference will be held at the Newark Museum on October 2, 2009 to discuss the survey and focus group findings. Ultimately, an implementation proposal together with other public and private fundraising for a statewide preservation and storage center is anticipated.

Bob Sewell will temporarily relocate to the Library of Science and Medicine during the Alexander renovations.

Next meeting

The next council meeting will take place on Thursday, August 20, 2009 in the TLH, Alexander Library, and then move to 3rd floor conference room after the presentation on NJVid (unless renovations at Alexander require a change of venue).

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Becker

URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lrc/minutes/lrc_09_07_16.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy
© Copyright 1997-, Rutgers University Libraries