STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of June 14, 2012 Meeting

Present:
R. Becker (for M. Joseph), K. Hartman (co-chair), T. Izbicki, B. Lipinski, K. Mulcahy, L. Mullen (co-chair), J. Pilch, R. Sewell, G. Smulewitz, G. Springs, A. Watkins, M.B. Weber (recorder), T. Yang
Absent:
G. Agnew
Guests:
J. Gardner, M. Just, F. Puniello

1. Approval of the Agenda and Approval of April Minutes- K. Hartman

The agenda was approved as distributed. The minutes were approved as distributed.

2. Chair's Report- K. Hartman

B. Fong is the new sciences team representative. G. Springs is the new social sciences representative. A. Watkins is the new general/reference area representative, in addition to continuing as campus coordinator for Newark.

K. Hartman and L. Mullen will convene the July 19 meeting and run the election for LRC chair(s). They had recommended to the Rules of Procedure Committee that the RUcore Collection Manager and Copyright and Licensing Librarian become standing members of LRC. The current co-chairs are unsure if the Bylaws have been changed to accommodate new members. If not, the two proposed new standing members can attend LRC as guests for one year.

LRC's representative to the Planning and Coordinating Committee will be chosen at the July 19 meeting.

3. Wrap up, Future Planning and Systemwide Vision for the Print Periodical Collection Across RUL- All

Newly revised policies and the Annex manual were reviewed. The review was followed by a structured discussion of the current state of library buildings and projects in light of on-going weeding projects and in terms of future vision for RUL as a system.

Alexander- K. Mulcahy

Large scale weeding presents challenges, particularly in terms of space. Sending a large number of older volumes to the Annex will free up space. Items should be sent to the Annex when their physical condition merits a more protected environment. It is possible to send more materials to the Annex, and humanities and social sciences resources can be obtained from other RUL libraries when needed.

A fair number of print indexes could also be sent to the Annex; sending them to the stacks is not an option.

There are annuals and directories currently in the stacks. Moving them to the Annex could create a lot of space, but would be a significant amount of work.

Dana- A. Watkins

Dana's weeding has focused on the circulating book collection. A complete review of the book collection will be conducted. There will be an item by item review to check for relevance plus recon.

There will also be a review of the reference collection. It may be helpful if journals are also reviewed.

Bound periodicals are filling up the stacks and there is little space left. There are less than 300 current titles. Journal weeding was done five years ago. The reference room is slated for renovation. This is not contingent on space gained.

Douglass- T. Izbicki

The Music Library's collections have moved to a location outside the Douglass Media Center. Music retains its own journals, and there is some overlap with the Institute for Jazz Studies. The carpeting installation has prevented further examination of the collection. Film journals may be kept at Douglass.

Kilmer- G. Springs

There will not be any print journals located in Kilmer after weeding has been completed. Kilmer is not a research library for any subject, and Dana is the research library for business. The periodical collection is mixed between bound and current materials, and has been moved into a service area. It contains some unique journal titles.

There are a few indexes in the reference collection, are mostly in African-American studies, and are outdated.

Kilmer will retain print subscriptions to the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, which are heavily used.

There will be no space gained since periodicals have already been moved. If Kilmer were to keep their bound periodicals, they would need to create space for them. Print can be cancelled for the most part since many of the print titles are available electronically.

SMLR- G. Springs

The plan for the Carey Library is to move the circulating monographs collection to Kilmer. The labor studies collection will move from Cook into Levin. Programs will be on Livingston Campus. It makes sense for the collection to remain at Kilmer. SMLR will be retained as a meeting place for unions. Kilmer is unable to take SMLR's archival periodical collections due to lack of space.

LSM- L. Mullen

LSM will be the library where most consolidated journal runs for the sciences will end up. The third floor journal shelving is packed, so it will be challenging to absorb many periodical runs. Chemistry and Physics' collections are likely to move into LSM one day, but there are no firm plans at present. LSM started to cancel its print journal subscriptions ten years ago. There currently are 700 print subscriptions and this number is down from 7,000. The third floor formerly was a full-service periodicals area with a fully staged imaging services office and distributed technical services department. It has been repurposed as a quiet zone for studying. LSM is weeding the first floor reference stacks at present; many print abstracts and indexes are being sent to the Annex. This is a large scale project that will open up space on the first floor for other uses.

Print indexes and abstracts are intermingled with books on LSM's first floor. A few indexes and abstracts will remain at LSM where backfiles are lacking and they are needed on-site for research purposes. An eating area is being created on the first floor and includes vending machines.

Robeson- J. Still was not available to report for Robeson

G. Smulewitz noted that Robeson's print journals collection is very small, and they have already discarded a lot of their print collection.

Workflows and Planning of Periodicals, Abstracts and Indexes- G. Smulewitz

Douglass Library crisis weeding will take place and will be ongoing. DTS is using a projection for a pilot to determine how an A to Z weeding project can be conducted.

A joint Access Services/DTS group has determined that weeding projects will follow established guidelines. A web page has been created and will be posted under the collection development portion of the RUL web page. The group has systemwide representation, and met to discuss how the process will be defined and how to disseminate that information. A template has been created for the process, and they are focusing on Douglass' periodical collection.

There is a Douglass project in progress for the collection of film journals. Jane Sloan has made a decision to remove duplicates from Alexander and move them to Douglass. The next step after completion of this project is to implement an A to Z weeding for Alexander that will follow the pattern set by Douglass. The group will determine how to identify priorities and to balance them with crises.

Annex Status and Update- J. Gardner

The revised Annex Manual was discussed. Major changes that have been incorporated into the document include noting that the AUL for Collection Development and Management will serve as arbiter when there are duplicates in the libraries and the Annex, and whether microforms are considered duplicates when they are housed in the Annex. The document addresses what circulation status means for Annex materials. The Annex has also started to house special formats materials.

A suggestion was made to provide a pointer to the Annex Manual on the collection development page.

The state of the Annex was discussed; 15,000 items have been transferred to the Annex this year. This number is considerably higher than the last two years. A total of 732 duplicates were detected in the Annex, and their removal created much needed space. The top priority is to ensure that Annex materials are represented in the Library Catalog.

The Annex is at about 71 percent capacity, and will run out of space in about ten years if items continue to be added at the current pace. Sage Library will remove their materials from the Annex this year, freeing up much needed space. University Records will move out of the Annex within the next two years, freeing up additional space.

Integration of space/reuse projects/issues alongside weeding - F. Puniello

Facilities planning is a reflection of the changing service and collections needs of the University Libraries.

Planning is difficult because of not knowing if year end funds will be available.

An RFP has gone out for possible compact shelving for the Art Library and Special Collections reading room.

F. Puniello is working with Alexander librarians on a research and learning commons. A preliminary estimate for compact shelving for the bound periodicals is $700,000 although some question if that is necessary.

LRC members reiterated the importance of facilities planning during weeding projects so that spaces are not left empty or without vision.

Research and Instructional Services (RIS) issues about weeding/space - M. Just

M. Just's goal is to consider how space lost or gained impacts us and how to accommodate users. Consideration also must be given to usage and resource changes and how this impacts delivery of service. A clearer vision is needed regarding how the libraries should move forward in terms of space.

L. Mullen expressed a request to get RIS input for collections and planning. RIS' input will factor into weeding, transfers, etc.

4. AUL Reports

Collection Development and Management- T. Izbicki

T. Izbicki will meet with N. Hendrickson and G. Smulewitz to review year end funds. It is likely that there will be no year end funds. Future agenda items for this group will need to examine our ability to sustain our current models of purchasing.

All large periodicals packages are up for renewal. There will be a second round of collection development training and the focus will be on subscriptions and journals.

Any continuing payments for monographic series and standing orders should be reviewed, particularly when they are "inherited" arrangements.

The recently issued ARL report, larger picture items, future planning, policy review (collection development strategies) are all future discussion topics for this group. Other future discussion items are monographs acquisitions and future directions, PDA, gift policies (including tightening up on what we accept and in what condition).

The topic of e-book donations was raised. We need to determine if this is possible and legal.

L. Mullen noted that RUL lacks a policy for self-published books, and she would like to be able to point people to one. Special Collections and University Archives collections this type of books in some cases, and the challenge is to determine what we will collect.

5. Distributed Technical Services and Central Technical Services Updates- G. Smulewitz, M.B. Weber

Distributed Technical Services Report- G. Smulewitz

G. Smulewitz reported that she attended the NASIG Conference, where the big deal was the hot topic. She also reported that Rutgers is not alone in terms of budget problems. It seems that everyone is trying to determine how to pay for things. Mississippi State University cut $400,000 mid-year and returned this funding to the university. This was done without consulting with selectors or departments. The decision was based solely on usage, which turned out to be in areas where their faculty publish.

The Wiley and Science Direct contracts are coming up for renewal. G. Smulewitz will do detailed analysis in advance and will look at how tools (LibGuides, for example) influence usage.

Central Technical Services Report- M. B. Weber

A total of 1,239 orders were created in May. This includes 692 approvals, 511 firm, 25 recurring and 11 subscriptions. The number of orders received totaled 2,941 and includes 700 approvals, 2,061 firm orders, and 180 recurring. Ninety-five orders were cancelled; 3 approval, 69 firm, 3 recurring, and 20 subscription orders.

Acquisitions ordered approximately 1,200 tiles and received almost 3,000 titles. With the help of the Cataloging Sections (Monographs Cataloging and Serials Cataloging), they were able to receive all incoming items. Since January, they have been steadily receiving nearly 2,000 titles a month, with this month surpassing that amount by nearly 1,000. Having extra assistance has helped to quickly receive material and route invoices to the Budget Office insuring they will be paid by the close of the fiscal year. This is important as outstanding invoices that do not make the cut-off date of June 25, 2012 will be paid against FY13 funds.

We have received written permission from Coutts to short pay invoices for items being returned. This is an improvement over the previous workflow of having to hold invoices until a credit memo was issued. Invoices were being held for up to two months or longer. Funds remained encumbered for months before a credit memo was issued and the funds were released allowing a selector to order other material.

In June and July, Acquisitions will focus on Rollover Clean up reports. Additionally, Acquisitions will be helping Cataloging with end processing once ordering and receiving slows down.

The oldest materials in the backlog of newly purchased monographs date back to January 2012. The Monographs Cataloging Section (under the guidance of Carla Zimmerman since February 2012) is keeping up with the 2012 purchases.

Monographs Cataloging cataloged this year's faculty/staff publications from the Faculty Authors program (66 items) and a donation of books via Tom Izbicki from the United Sikhs and Amitoj Singh Malik (22 items).

Monographs Cataloging received 447 gift and unit receipt items this month. The backlog count for newly purchased monographs is 731 items. The total number of purchased monographs that were shipped to RUL libraries (which includes Acquisitions' cataloging and excludes EAL and Special Collections,) was 1,785 items.

6. Announcements- All

Ron Becker

Due to a re-organization, records management will no longer be an RUL function. SC/UA will lose a position with this change.

R. Becker noted that there is a new exhibit on supermarkets.

SC/UA has been busy working with outside researchers who are using materials on Millicent Fenwick and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Installation of compact shelving will alleviate space issues in the reading room.

There is now access to the Rutgers Newark Oral Histories Project form the 1960s and 1970s via streaming audio.

SC/UA will soon process the Bloustein papers.

It appears that SC/UA will have a stable budget with no cuts in general operations from the state.

There will be a Civil War exhibit and series on public programs in the fall.

R. Sewell

R. Sewell reported that this was his last LRC meeting. He will begin a research leave on July 1 and will not be in the office on a regular basis.

G. Springs

G. Springs reported that Joseph Deodato is the new LibGuides administrator and will serve a two-year term. He also reported that he conducted a poster session at NJLA on the LibGuide implementation process with Katie Anderson and Michelle Oswell.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lrc/minutes/lrc_12_06_14.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)