STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of January 16, 2014 Meeting

Present:
Bonnie Fong, Tom Izbicki, Michael Joseph, Barry Lipinski, Rhonda Marker, Kevin Mulcahy (chair), Vincent Pelote (via videoconference), Elizabeth Sosnowska, Gracemary Smulewitz, Julie Still (via videoconference), Ann Watkins, Mary Beth Weber (recorder), Tao Yang
Guests:
Manuel Jusino
Excused:
Grace Agnew, Janice Pilch

1. Approval of the Agenda- All

The agenda was approved as distributed.

2. Approval of the Minutes from the December 19, 2013 meeting

The following changes will be made:

3. Chair's Report- Kevin Mulcahy

Mulcahy posted three spreadsheets to Sakai:

The spreadsheets were compiled during the Library Catalog downtime, and provide an older picture of the funds. An accurate picture won't be available until February 2014.

The spreadsheet on all funds shows trends for a ten-year period, and includes the ten-year total, the average, and highs/lows. The current budget total is $9,780,734.60, and is almost $600,000 less than the previous year. The continuing effect of inflation has led to erosion of our funding. The total budget for this year could change as the year progresses if we receive gifts or additional funding.

Non-state funds are the lowest we have had during the ten-year period.

The number of books purchased on approval and monograph funds has declined, but we may need to account for e-books we receive through large packages like Sage and Wiley (which are primarily science titles). The actual acquisition of books is low and is fairly stark for some disciplines, especially in the humanities. Decreased funding to purchase resources will have an impact on our ability to serve faculty and our students.

Smulewitz reported that publisher packages are set up by us as a subscription, and money rolls over each year. We have received all the e-books (math, computer science, etc.) published by Springer for the last 5-6 years, and the past year for behavioral sciences. Rutgers has a one-year subscription with Wiley, and we may consider doing the same for Project Muse. Mulcahy requested usage data for e-books by title/collection and turnaways.

The Collections Analysis Task Force is reviewing our database subscriptions. They are looking at the networked resources teams to make sure the rosters are current.

4. AUL Report- Tom Izbicki

Izbicki met with Special Collections and University Archives to get their input on the Strategic Plan before he submits this information to Marianne Gaunt.

Izbicki is waiting to see if there will be adjustments to the state budget later this month. This will tie in with the Elsevier negotiations. Elsevier has been asked to provide alternatives to our current arrangement, and it is notable that they are willing to do this.

Izbicki will attend the CIC Collection Development Managers Committee during the 2014 ALA Midwinter Meeting, where CIC shared purchases will be discussed. He will question if a better use for money is to create open access platforms, for example, rather than for mid-range purchasing.

CRL purchase decisions were made with the input of selectors who nominated resources.

A study of Alexander spaces will be conducted, and the current least used places will be considered. The fate of bound periodicals is unresolved, and ties in with weeding decisions.

Mold problems at the Physics Library have been resolved. Unique resources from the Chemistry Library are being remediated. The Collections Analysis group is conducting a database review. Izbicki is not sure how much we will recoup in savings. Smith Library has been designated the library of record for the health sciences. We are still waiting to see what the university will do about the various nursing programs. Some consolidation seems likely.

HathiTrust has not yet provided additional information on shared collections, costs, etc. Ernestine Young, who reports to Farideh and handles book repairs, will retire in February 2014. Her workload and how it will be handled must be considered.

Megan Lotts, Nancy Kranich, and Izbicki met to discuss how they can partner with the Zimmerli' Museum library. Lotts will review their X collection. There are major issues regarding their special collections. Weber stressed that any cataloging should be directed to CTS, particularly Melissa De Fino. No further action will be taken until an interim director for the Zimmerli has been appointed.

5. AUL Report- Grace Agnew

Agnew's report was tabled.

6. CTS Report- Mary Beth Weber

CTS is handling both orders and cataloging, following the conclusion of downtime for the Library Catalog during migration to Unicode.

Weber and Izbicki are meeting with Ingram during ALA Midwinter. Rutgers moved 130 recurring orders to slip notification. This included a conference call with Ingram, which addressed account specific details such as duplication concerns among approvals and firm orders, requested split invoicing, and established an OASIS account for Kati Ritter to receive and manage slip notifications. After six months, only a handful of slips have been received, and selectors need to be notified about new publications. Since we are not getting notified about new publications, we are unable to convey this information to selectors.

7. DTS Report- Gracemary Smulewitz

DTS is analyzing the cost of the integration with the former UMD. Funds are not yet merged into our account. This means that all costs have been paid from Rutgers' budget. Smulewitz has supplied the Budget Office with figures for all our continuing resources and costs until 2014. Abbey Bake will review the costs; there is hope that the former UMD will cover new costs. Smulewitz has been asking vendors about straightforward costs (adding IPs) and has figured in inflation. New unique subscriptions have been added for RBHS, both print and electronic.

The Webscale Implementation Team and DTS analyzed content for web-scale discovery. They determined what it in webscale, and what is not available. Joseph Deodato has asked for feedback regarding the webscale product, which will be available on January 21, 2014. DTS will be posting two Library Associate positions; one is for holdings management, and the other is for electronic resources management.

Smulewitz announced formation of a systemwide holdings team the New Brunswick Collections Group. Someone from collection management will co-chair the team with Jamie Maguire (DTS). Their work can be discussed at LRC if people forward requests to Smulewitz. DTS is receiving lists of requests for small projects, and it is not effective to bring these to LRC. Smulewitz asked LRC members for a cut-off in the size of the project, which will determine whether it should be discussed at LRC. One thousand items was suggested.

DTS has been handling journal consolidation in anticipation of the CIC shared print repository.

Barry Lipinski reported that a compact shelving analysis was done for Kilmer Library. One promising future direction for Kilmer would be to aggressively weed its circulating collection, currently on the upper level, and transfer what remains to compact shelving on the lower level. This would permit space development of the upper level. Kilmer's highly successful quiet study area on the upper level, which now consists of 207 carrels and no tables, could be expanded and additional group study rooms could be built.

Mulcahy reported that Rob Krack is developing a database that provides a dynamic, actual view of current space and a projected view. This is a live database that will be automatically updated. Content is currently limited to Alexander Library (Floor 2 A only), and will eventually be extended to other buildings. With the growth of e-books in our collections, space may not be as critical an issue as in a purely print environment, but there are still space constraints in many buildings.

Ella Sosnowska noted that the Health Sciences Task Force is reaching out to faculty about using their resources. Faculty members currently seem confused about resources in the new integrated library system, and Dana Library has reported that they are getting questions on health sciences topics from users traditionally served by the Smith Library.

8. Reports from SC/UA or IJS

Michael Joseph reported that there have been no major acquisitions.

9. Webscale Discovery Implementation- Grace Agnew

This item was tabled as Agnew was not available. Smulewitz noted that this is a oft roll-out, and that the full implementation will take place in September 2014. She encouraged people to test the new system and to provide feedback.

10. Weeding Projects and Priorities- Tom Izbicki

This agenda item will continued at the next LRC meeting.

Smulewitz said there is a queue for weeding projects that must be addressed now.

The LSM REF weeding project is complete, and there is another large-scale weeding project underway at LSM. SMLR and the Music Library are slated for small weeding projects that can begin if Smulewitz doesn't have to vet LRC first. Questioned whether DTS can handle this workflow in addition to their other responsibilities, she noted that DTS will be hiring additional staff in the near future, and thus can handle additional projects.

LRC needs to provide criteria regarding how a small project is defined. For example, does it mean 1,000 titles versus 20,000? Proposed projects should include a rough estimate of the anticipated staff hours required to complete it. Resource type also needs to be provided (serials versus monographs, for example).

Smulewitz, Mulcahy, and Izbicki will meet before the next LRC meeting to establish parameters for projects. Smulewitz suggested including a representative from Access Services; Lipinski volunteered.

11. Future of the Book: Possible Program and Activities- All

Mulcahy had originally suggested, at the January LRC meeting, a relatively narrow proposal-gathering data demonstrating the use of books in RUL-for example, what percentage of books purchased in a given period or in a specific call number range has circulated. His notion was to use such data to argue for an appropriate level of funding for books. Lipinski suggested checking EZ Borrow and ILL statistics as a useful adjunct. Mulcahy and Melissa Gasparotto in Alexander Library are also each conductiong citation analyses of Rutgers dissertations to assess what kinds of resources graduate students are using. G. Agnew had suggested a broader and more inclusive approach at the last LRC meeting, including possible programs featuring relevant faculty exploring the future of the book in the digital age.

M. Joseph noted that the Book Arts Symposium will celebrate its 20th anniversary and wants to do something more spectacular this year. We can use this formation to consider the future of the book as a form of artistic expression.

A. Watkins reported that Dana is hosting an artist in residence, who authored the book Future of the Book. Dana has a collection of his book covers, and he's working with Krista White. Mulcahy suggested LRC hold a meeting at Dana when the exhibit is on display.

There will be a program at ALA Midwinter in Philadelphia on the future of the book and the future of publishing.

M. Joseph stressed that we also need to consider the future of writing. The book is a vehicle that's evolving as the art of writing evolves.

Lipinski noted that the future of the book should be tied to the future of resource sharing.

Additional discussion and planning will continue at the next LRC meeting.

12. Announcements

R. Marker asked if RUL has plans for Open Preservation week, which highlights preservation and the importance of making things available because they've been preserved. Izbicki was unsure.

13. Possible Agenda for February Meeting

Mulcahy will issue a request for agenda items.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lrc/minutes/lrc_14_01_16.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)