STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of February 20, 2014 Meeting

Present:
Bonnie Fong (recorder), Karen Hartman, Tom Izbicki, Michael Joseph, Barry Lipinski, Rhonda Marker, Kevin Mulcahy (chair), Vincent Pelote (via videoconference), Janice Pilch, Elizabeth Sosnowska (via videoconference), Gracemary Smulewitz, Julie Still (via videoconference), Ann Watkins, Mary Beth Weber, Tao Yang
Guests:
Manuel Jusino
Excused:
Grace Agnew

1. Approval of the Agenda- All

The agenda was approved.

2. Approval of the Minutes from January 16, 2014 meeting

The minutes were approved with a revision concerning shelving at Kilmer.

3. Chair's Report-K. Mulcahy

K. Mulcahy shared an updated spreadsheet of the overall RUL collections budget. At 60%, the free balance of non-state monographs is much too high for this time of year. Selectors are encouraged to spend it. An increase of $545,067 (since 1/15/2014) was observed in the total budget, with almost all of the increase coming from state monies; however, the very large negative free balance figure of $563,867 is worrisome. G. Smulewitz indicated that some of the negative balance comes from funds not having been applied yet.

The following website has been updated with the current membership of the Networked Resources Evaluation/Selection Teams: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/networked_resources/members.shtml

Selectors have many questions about streaming media - the general landscape of who offers what, how much RUL money is available to purchase it, policies, licensing issues, etc. Training on streaming media will be coming soon. There was also some discussion about the Media Team's charge.

LRC members were asked to read the charges of both the Media Team and the Networked Resources Team, and consider possible changes for them (e.g., consolidation).

The staggering of elected disciplinary representatives on LRC and USC was discussed. This year, two members from LRC and two members from USC will serve for an extra year - one representative from each of the four disciplines. R. Marker suggested having the disciplinary representatives from LRC and USC contact each other to discuss who would be staying on the extra year (e.g., have the LRC humanities representative and USC humanities representative chat about it).

4. AUL Report-T. Izbicki

T. Izbicki shared some updates:

5. AUL Report-G. Agnew

G. Agnew's report was tabled (due to her absence).

6. CTS Report-M. B. Weber

Yu-Hung Lin is now the Metadata Librarian for Continuing Resources, Scholarship and Data.

There was brief discussion about the CIC shared print repository. A lot of information must be verified before transferring (e.g., barcoding, etc.) - who would be responsible for this? CIC is looking for us to fill gaps. Perhaps we can consider offering duplicate copies of our items.

7. DTS Report-G. Smulewitz

DTS is continuing to work on a database review spreadsheet. There are issues with EBSCO usage statistics. Publishers are being asked in which journals Rutgers faculty are publishing and in which databases these journals are indexed.

COUNTER4 was just released and will change how usage statistics are gathered.

Two lines have been posted.

Articles+ training sessions were announced: 2/20/2014 at 1 pm, 3/3/2014 at 10 am.

One-time monies are available for Wiley journals, backfiles, and e-books. Discipline representatives are being asked to submit a prioritized list. G. Smulewitz will provide these team leaders with a list selectors can choose from and a list of what RUL already owns.

G. Smulewitz will also provide team leaders with a list of unique Elsevier titles and usage statistics for items for which we've already paid. Discipline representatives are being asked to submit a prioritized list of ones they would like to move from the UTL into the subscription category.

8. Reports from SC/UA or IJS

There will be a panel discussion program in the spring on occult literature (e.g., alchemy and astrology books) in conjunction with an exhibition of books from the Fairweather Occult Collection. At the Dana Library, a calligraphy exhibition will open next week and will include student work. In IJS, noted jazz musician Curley Russell's bass has been restored.

9. Webscale Discovery Implementation-G. Agnew

G. Smulewitz indicated that a very bare bones implementation of EDS is almost complete. There will be a discussion within the next week about what to do for the full-scale implementation. Experiences from and suggestions gathered from the two training sessions will be incorporated into the planning.

10. CIC Shared Print Repository-T. Izbicki

There are a number of questions to consider regarding the CIC shared print repository. One concern with a single last copy is that there is no completely safe place on Earth due to potential hazards such as fire, flood, tornadoes, theft, etc. Another consideration is whether we will remain a CIC member in the future. In terms of what to contribute, duplicate copies are a possibility. In addition, we may want to focus on items for which we have perpetual access of electronic content.

11. Digital Humanities Report-T. Yang

The Digital Humanities report was endorsed by LRC. Next steps are to correct typos and submit the report to PlanCo.

12. Future of the Book: possible programs and activities-K. Mulcahy et al.

This discussion is being postponed until the next meeting.

13. Announcements

The fourth Special Collections candidate will give a presentation on 3/10/2014, 11 am.

14. Agenda for March Meeting

Suggested agenda items for the March meeting include:

15. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 11:51 am.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lrc/minutes/lrc_14_02_14.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries