STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of August 21, 2014 Meeting

Present:
G. Agnew, A. Baker (guest), E. Gorder, T. Izbicki, K. Mulcahy (co-chair), L. Palumbo, A. Watkins (co-chair), V. Pelote, J. Still, J. Sauceda (recorder), J. Sloan, G. Smulewitz
Excused:
E. Sosnowska, R. Marker, J. Pilch, B. Lipinski

1. Approval of the Agenda

The agenda was approved as distributed.

2) Approval of the Minutes from July 17, 2014 meeting (posted in Sakai on 7-14-14)

T. Izbicki suggested amending his report to "Funds for monographs will probably be reduced from previous years." Approved with that correction.

3) Chairs' Report--K. Mulcahy & A. Watkins

Budget still unknown. Faculty petition distributed. Tweaked with minor changes. Comparative data in two tables looking at peer and aspirant institutions--spending per student, spending per faculty member--to be turned to graph that is accessible via link. To be sent out in September.

4) AUL Report--T. Izbicki

Nothing has been heard regarding interim UL appointment. It is necessary to discuss budget issues with the candidates.

Meeting pending among M. Just, T. Izbicki, and G. Agnew regarding preservation issues: what we will do with physical and digital items. This has implications for Hathi Trust. We need to resolve access issues and decide how we can use contributions to Hathi for our preservation efforts.

K. Mulcahy: Have we paid Hathi any money? If so should we ask for a prorated discount? T. Izbicki a contract has been signed.

G. Smulewitz: is it a subscription? K. Mulcahy et al: it's an annual membership. A. Baker: We have made a payment, will speak with Marianne; overall fee of several hundred thousand dollars is already prorated. K. Mulcahy: Hathi will probably be the only good news this year about collections so we should pursue establishing full access for our faculty and students, especially the ability to download PDFs.

T. Izbicki: we don't have a mold policy on the website-a gap in our preservation policy. I have updated an old policy, but it doesn't mention remediation.

Next cabinet meeting J. Boyle and T. Izbicki will bring a "challenged library materials" policy for endorsement. The policy gives a contact point on each of the campuses.

T. Izbicki: PALCI wants RUL to buy into a PDA program, but the cost would be prohibitive if we contribute based on size of institution.. Distributed print repository steering committee has opposite policy of CIC, and it is unknown whether PALCI libraries are keeping track of things they are committing to. G. Agnew: it would be helpful if people had numerical standards for preservation quality. G. Smulewitz: a concern I have is if we participate with CIC and we need to fill in the gaps with the sciences, how can we participate with PALCI? T. Izbicki: PALCI is still nebulous. Penn State, Penn, and Rutgers shouldn't have to shoulder the preservation burden. G. Agnew: Will there be a cost in participating; is this shared storage? T. Izbicki: No this is just distribution. Agnew: we can't indiscriminately participate in these initiatives. We should do these kinds of activities with libraries like us in the CIC. T. Izbicki: We should be involved in this because PALCI is one of our heaviest targets with collections. T. Izbicki wants PALCI to factor in both the condition of last copies and the need for accurate recording keeping by all institutions. The Philosophy Department is very eager to subscribe to PhilPapers, which includes a large open access archive of papers. This was once free, but now requires a subscription. Funding would come by cancelling other philosophy subscriptions.

T. Izbicki acknowledged G. Agnew for data on the use of the coins project: 91 downloads per coin. While there are probably not exactly 91 downloads since there could be multiple downloads by one user it shows we're heading the right way on a major project. G. Agnew: most importantly the resources are being used by our own faculty like Cory Brennan.

5) AUL--G. Agnew

Smulewitz and Purger to meet to work on technical aspects of VuFind to be rolled out hopefully July 2016. Moving to VuFInd provides a lot of functionality like Bento Box. Some might find it annoying, but they can click to see more just in Article+. Tradeoffs include the fact that many student users cannot distinguish between books and articles. Better opportunity to service media that can be buried. Lehigh and Chicago have successfully implemented OLE. We should save $160,000/year from our budget for a couple years after our contract with Sirsi/Dynix

T. Izbicki: a demonstration would be helpful. Agnew: right now there's nothing to demonstrate because we don't have a functional model, but when we can we will show others.

Wikipedia project proceeding well and now moving into its second phase. In the first phase L. Todorinova and Y. Lin studied how students used Wikipedia. Pre and post tests showed students made progress in becoming more critical. Students said they went to Wikipedia then to Google; the Library Catalog was fourth or fifth item down on the list. VuFind has a schema.org header that Google can traverse and pull to create tags that Google could harvest. We could put our records in Google so students would know what we have in Rutgers. Next step is to work on New Jersey articles with visiting scholars. Visiting scholar Daniella Mejia created a sandbox. T. Yang and others are writing articles. Grace expressed a concern that Wikipedia's policy of excluding original ideas (everything must be sourced) could be a dangerous model for students who are supposed to be striving for originality. L. Todorinova and Y. Lin might hold a faculty discussion about how to use Wikipedia down the road. Wikipedia has its own subculture and editors who know each other, and is not totally anonymous.

6) CTS Report--M. B. Weber

T. Izbicki, K. Mulcahy, M.B. Weber, and M. Ruszala have scheduled a conference call with Ingram to discuss the future of our approval plan.

Fay Austin is working with Chris Sterback to eliminate duplicate OCLC records.

C. Zimmerman has worked to put book backlogs at historic lows. There are no longer limits on how many gift items can be sent to cataloging.

7) DTS Report--G. Smulewitz

There has been a coordinated examination of faculty and student usage for more holistic look at different disciplines. Weeding continues but held up by task force to evaluate science and medical collections.

Duplicate record project: There were 7,000+ titles duplicated in the catalog between Rutgers and UMDNJ, only 600 left.

Negotiations continue with database renewals. Cleaning up encumbered records has found some money. DTS continues to prepare data for budget cuts.

The diversity intern M. Jusino has served a two-week rotation in DTS, assisting in usage analysis projects.

8) Reports from SC/UA and IJS--E. Gorder & V. Pelote

T. Frusciano, C. Radick, A. Cuervo, and E. Surles attended the annual meeting of the Society for American Archivists in Washington D.C. T. McDonnell organized a "road show" with Rutgers alumni in the DC area. Planning for Rutgers 250 is underway, and UA is heavily involved with calls going out to Alumni for memorabilia.

Christie Lutz has started as New Jersey Regional Studies Librarian. No formal reception yet. Eventually she might serve on USC, and might be invited to an LRC meeting.

Nothing to report from IJS.

9) Demonstration of OCLC Connexion browser--M. Weber

LoC has a program dealing with Latin Americanist bibliographers that may suffice for M. Gasporotto to replace WorldCat.

OCLC Connexion has several access points that can be integrated into a web browser or a computer program. MARC-based and other displays are available. Weber has some unused accounts that could be assigned to DTS personnel or selectors. G. Agnew: if someone has a need that can't be addressed by the public search it would be possible to provide them with an account. M. Weber: We can request more accounts without a charge, but we wouldn't want everyone to be able to access it because you can make changes to the catalog.

M. Weber demonstrated the functionality of Connexion. It is possible to look at holdings by region, but the interface will require training. It is possible to populate an ILL request through WorldCat.org. There is a help menu and tips. The command line is clunky.

G. Agnew noted that Weber will provide Connexion Browser training for DTS staff and suggested inviting interested selectors.

10) Budget Planning --T. Izbicki et al.

T. Izbicki: The Collections Analysis Group met yesterday, preparing for cuts. Our new approach is to involve all selectors in a broad discipline, rather than our past practice of a small team of selectors. Business resources listed as generalist should be included with the social sciences in discussions of allocations and cuts.

A. Baker: Budget recap. In FY14 there was a $750,000 deficit resulting from the UMDNJ integration. University Administration declined to fund it and instructed RUL to use its reserves. As far as we know, no unit's merger costs were covered centrally--including OIT, University Accounting, and Human Resources. RUL reserve funds are now badly depleted. Without a budget for FY15 uncertainties remain. University Administration may provide funding, keep budget level, or make the cuts outlined in the three scenarios the Libraries were asked to model in the spring.

Although the costs of the integration were covered (in FY 14) by reserves, another deficit of around $700,000 remains, because of inflation in journal and database costs. Thus the need for subscription cancellations. M. Gaunt will meet with Chancellor Edwards next week for FY15's budget.

T. Izbicki: Has the Foundation reported on the performance of endowments? A. Baker: the endowment returns remain between 4.2-4.3%; but in 2 years they may decrease returns. Phonathon funds are being de-emphasized, apparently because parental giving isn't as important for ranking as alumni giving. Alumni tend to give in a more targeted way, so the Libraries are likely to be adversely affected. Historically there is an underutilization of gift accounts; A. Baker did an inventory identifying the subjects for which gift & endowed funds are intended. Mulcahy requested that this information be sent out to everyone. T. Izbicki: awareness the subjects to which endowments are dedicated will help new people so they know the purpose of their funds.

T. Izbicki: We were asked to model three budget scenarios: 1) 1.5% increase in the budget; 2) a 4% budget cut and 3) a 2% budget cut (returning half of the cuts in the second scenario). The budget cuts memo came out of discussions for these scenarios.

Historically 70% of expenditures are in the Sciences with the remainder in other areas. Cuts should be proportional to historic expenditures. The memo covers everything that would come out of Humanities and Social Sciences. We are also planning to aggressively negotiate with vendors at renewal.

Access World News was taken off the table as a possible cut. Web of Science is on the table because SCOPUS has been added and offers many of the resources and services provided by Web of Science. SCOPUS approached Rutgers with an offer at a reasonable price for a product that was in high demand among Rutgers faculty. Science selectors will discuss Web of Science. T. Izbicki will meet with the vendor tomorrow. DTS has created a spreadsheet of remaining print journal subscriptions, which still cost more than $500K; we can probably cut print titles with less impact than by cutting digital subscriptions. We will be asking selectors to prioritize cancellations. Izbicki assumes we will have a flat budget.

Smulewitz: We are exploring possibly shifting resources between subscription agencies to effect savings.

J. Sloan: with a discovery layer will it matter if we go with EBSCO? Smulewitz: items with EBSCO will rank higher in searches if we go with EBSCO because they have better metadata for their system. Agnew: there needs to be more study. Lehigh and Chicago are partnering with OLE.

J. Sloan: Relationship of selectors to databases: more librarians and selectors should be more involved with the negotiating process, not just to provide input, but to be informed. More communication needs to happen all the way around. K. Mulcahy: it would be helpful to have a selector involved. G. Smulewitz: only the Science Direct negotiation took place without the selectors; everything else is presented to the selector first. Science Direct was a merger of the packages at RUL and the former UMD and thus a special case. J. Sloan: the perception that selectors are left out of the negotiations needs to be dealt with whether it's correct or not. T. Izbicki: we should be careful not to undermine ourselves by having too many voices in negotiations with vendors.

L. Palumbo: there seems to be more emphasis placed on dollars rather than content. G. Agnew: we need more nuanced ways of evaluating what's critical and irreplaceable for faculty.

Process and deadlines:

G. Smulewitz: selectors should list possible cancellations in priority order. Beginning of fund code determines discipline highlighted to the right. We also have usage statistics and whether something is electronically available. We can also request if we would like to move to electronic if available. There will also be a notes field to give information. Smulewitz will write up instructions. Team leader will collect responses. Cambridge, Oxford, and Taylor & Francis are targeted because we do not have a contract with them.

Mulcahy: We need percentages to get our rough targets. We also need to know how quickly this needs to happen. Suggested we apply the disciplinary spending ratios to the deficit of $700,000-roughly 70% for the Sciences and Health Sciences, 15.3% for the Social Sciences, 6% for the Humanities, and about 8% for General. The cancellations already announced (WorldCat, Wilson Omni File, Literature Resource Center, etc.) can be subtracted from the disciplinary targets (cancellations in General databases have already reached that target)

Smulewitz: List needs to be finished by 9/30. We need to have prioritized cuts available by 9/15. Meeting scheduled for discussion on 8/28 and 9/11

11) Announcements

Mulcahy: Alexander Recreational Reading Collection is now available.

12) Agenda for September meeting--All

K. Mulcahy will issue a request for budget items.

13) Adjournment



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lrc/minutes/lrc_14_08_21.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries