STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of April 16, 2015 Meeting

Present:
K. Mulcahy (co-chair), A. Watkins (co-chair), E. Gorder, T. Izbicki, B. Lipinski (recorder), R. Marker, L. Palumbo, V. Pelote, J. Sauceda, J. Sloan, E. Sosnowska,, J. Still, M. Weber
Excused:
G. Smulewitz, G. Agnew, J. Pilch

1. Approval of Agenda-All

The report from DTS was omitted because of Gracemary Smulewitz's absence. With that change, the agenda was approved.

2. Approval of the Minutes from February 19, 2015 meeting--All

The minutes were approved.

3. Chair's Report-K. Mulcahy and A. Watkins

Our free balance on non-state funds for monographs is 29.9% as of April 15th. We are in much better shape than we were two months ago. Non-state funds account for just under 8.1% of the total collections budget. Kevin distributed a spreadsheet showing RUL all funds over the last decade. While the raw numbers suggest an upward trend, with occasional down years, adjusting for materials inflation, increased enrollment (32% increase over the decade), and the addition of the legacy UMD libraries complicates the picture and indicates a significant loss of buying power. Kevin will update this spreadsheet at the end of the fiscal year and include a column for inflation adjusted dollars.

We have decided to develop a study of how our students and faculty use books.

Gil Cohen, a librarian at the Newark Dana Library for 40 years before retiring, passed away on April 6th at the age of 86.

4. AUL Report-T. Izbicki

We still don't know our budget for the next fiscal year. The university is expected to fully implement RCM (Responsibility Centered Management) in the coming year, with the impact on the Libraries as yet unknown. Membership in HaithiTrust will greatly influence our efforts in preservation in the future-perhaps allowing us to withdraw damaged print copies of items with little or no artifactual value, so long as they are available through Hathi. We are trying to make book repair more efficient (J. Teichmann will report on this later in the meeting). For the future, it would be a good idea to hire a preservation officer. We are in the process of interviewing for the new University Librarian. Two questions for the candidates: 1) What is your experience in consortia? 2) What is your development experience? RUL has a need for more endowments and support from the larger community.

K. Mulcahy asked if Cabinet is considering what to do about several vacant lines, particularly with several retirements coming up. J. Sloan said she would bring this question to the Planning & Coordinating Committee.

5. CTS Report-M. Weber

The department is working on appraisals now. C. Zimmerman has produced the following backlog report: 716 gift items; 138 purchased monographs; and over 14,000 catalog records. The records are expected to be cleared up when we move to OLE. We are close to our three million record limit with Sirsi. DTS and CTS are doing a workflow analysis. We have had a session on the cataloging process. The Haithi Trust group is working on a report. Charlotte Toke is retiring after 40 years of service. M. Weber recently had a new book published as the editor: "Rethinking Library Technical Services."

6. The Future of Media Collections at RUL-J. Sloan

Old materials are problematic in terms of access as streaming media. Cost is excessive for streaming media, usually 150% of the price for physical media. For example, a reserve item to be streamed may cost $450 and the disc $300. We get much of our video through the Alexander Street Press distributor. NJVid is an important group for us. Its Digital Media Committee is connected to VALE. There are other distributors such as Telecom, a conglomerate of California Community Colleges; they provide the Great Courses series online. But there is not a great interest in this at Rutgers. Professors here tend to produce their own material. Swank was introduced this year for feature films, leased for six months. Criterion and Canopy are two other distributors that are competitors to NJVid. Criterion material though would have to be put on our Wowsa server; it would be more complicated to handle. Canopy does offer current titles-feature films and documentaries-on an on-demand basis that we can't get through NJVid. We might want to try them. SAGE has begun to offer a video package. But it appears that about 90% of it is canned lectures and marketing/business videos.

All is very fluid at this moment. We are moving more to reserves, videos on demand, rather than purchasing titles for the collection. Streaming video is difficult to find in our catalog; people do not know what we have.

One solution to meeting the needs of our faculty and overcoming the excessive cost of streaming video is to have our copyright policies changed. UCLA, for instance, puts streaming videos on course reserves, accessible through NetId. New Jersey schools such as William Paterson are following this model. They are using the ARL guidelines for fair use. (K. Mulcahy asked if any CIC members are doing this? T. Izbicki said we could do a survey with the CIC collection development officers). (J. Pilch added subsequent to the meeting that no libraries are making all of their videos available for streaming and that selection on a case-by-case basis is the norm.) . But, it is a solution to the cost issue. Consortial purchases may be done; VALE does this. J. Sauceda pointed out that music librarians in the CIC met and worked together to purchase Met Opera. E. Sosnowska said that there has been increasing demand for streaming video at the Health Sciences Libraries but the prices have been prohibitive. T. Izbicki commented that our science instructors are asking for more streaming media such as the Journal of Visual Experiments project.

7. Book Repair Policy and implications for preservation-J. Teichmann (document posted in Sakai on 4-14-15)

There are 4,800 books, some since April 2006, in Preservation awaiting decisions/repairs. J. Teichmann's proposal addresses handling this backlog. Lists will be produced and sent out to Access Services staff requesting verification of duplicate copies. Staff will check to make sure these books are on shelf and examine them for condition. Selectors will then get lists for decisions regarding whether the books should be withdrawn or repaired. Lists for Access Services will be emailed to the appropriate staff. Lists for selectors will be posted on the NBCG Sakai site and an announcement will be made. LRC endorsed this book repair policy as a pilot to be run through December 2015. At that point, it will be evaluated to see how well it is working. Next, the proposed book repair policy will be brought to Cabinet.

8. Agenda for (and location of) May meeting

After some discussion, we agreed to meet in Alexander in May and Smith Library in Newark for our June meeting. Possible agenda items for May include a report from the Digital Humanities Team and a review of our goals and objectives for 2014-2015.

(amendment in Future of Media Collections section added 7/21/2015 by avw with LRC approval)



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/lrc/minutes/lrc_15_04_16.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries