Minutes for April 22, 2010 Meeting
- H. Glazer, G. Sandberg (recording), T. Yang, R. Barbalace, M. Tokar, S. Mikitish, C. Wu, J. Brennan, J. Madden, D. Roberts
1) Rutgers Day Promotional DVD (Glazer)
The team viewed the Libraries' promotional DVD for Rutgers Day. Reaction was unanimously positive. Production
values were high and content was appropriate to the event.
2) Reaching Out to Student Leaders (Glazer)
Harry reported on University Librarian Marianne Gaunt's meeting with student leaders in New Brunswick in March, on
the invitation of Vice President Blimling. This meeting, held on the suggestion of the Marketing/PR team, went
well. Here is a review of comments from the student leaders:
- Signs in libraries work well to publicize service changes, such as increased hours
- Need more seating
- Targum articles work best for promoting assessment surveys' results
- Faculty should promote RIOT
- Meebo and group study rooms are very popular
- Would prefer to have a café in Alexander Library
3) Rutgers Day Update (Barbalace)
Rose reported that she has 32 volunteers for Rutgers Day on Saturday, April 24. The Libraries will offer
activities at Alexander, Art, Douglass, and Kilmer libraries. Giveaways are in place. The scavenger hunt at
Alexander Library is ready to go. The RUL banner has been hung outside Alexander Library.
4) Promoting Library Assessment: Metrics Update (Glazer)
Harry updated the team on the work of Glenn and Stephanie in promoting the Library Assessment Survey. Marketing
the survey has helped attract more people to take the survey; however, it is difficult to gauge what specific
element of the marketing worked best.
5) RUL at Reunion Weekend (Glazer)
Judy Gardner has recommended that the team pursue an opportunity for marketing and public relations at Alumni
Reunion Weekend. Tao is heading up this initiative. Harry is working to create an alumni services handout for this
event. Staff can work this weekend and receive comp time.
Jean Madden is working the Camden campus alumni reunion on May 7-9.
6) Ongoing Projects – Review (Glazer)
a) Writing Assignments
- Daphne is working on an article publicizing RU Core and the 50,000 download there.
- John is writing an article on a New Brunswick Women's Literary Club and their papers; these papers are already in RU Core.
- The Camden campus newspaper has been carrying an article on the Libraries almost every other week.
b) Identifying University-Wide Events for RUL Involvement
- Daphne, Glenn, and Harry have been working on this project. They hope to bring a recommendation to the team at the next meeting.
c) New Faculty Orientation
- Michele attended last year and will attend again this year. She will be accompanied by Connie Wu and Tom Glynn.
d) Counting Opinions
- Stephanie Mikitish will work on this project. She and Harry plan to meet with Georgina Alonzo in the summer, to make plans for the fall 2010 semester.
e) Brand Vitality
- John Brennan will reach out to Natalie Borisovets, to see if any relevant feedback on the Libraries' brand touch-points (enriching knowledge, essential service, friendly service, higher education focus) was received via Ask A Librarian. Harry will inquire about the same, at a meeting of the Users' Services Council in May.
Next Meeting: Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:00 pm.