Minutes for September 22, 2011 Meeting
- R. Barbalace, H. Glazer, G. Sandberg (recording), M. Tokar, B. Fong, T. Meyer, J. Madden, J. Still, T. Yang, C. Wu, R. Martinez, K. Kaiser, L. Langscheid
- Harry Glazer introduced new team members Bonnie Fong (Dana Library), Linda Langscheid (Alexander Library), and Julie Still (Robeson Library).
- Harry bid farewell and expressed thanks to Connie Wu, who is leaving the team because of other obligations.
1) Summer Branding Validation Activity (H. Glazer)
- Harry distributed the report (prepared by John Brennan) on the Branding Validation Activity
conducted by John Brennan, Daphne Roberts, and Harry Glazer over the summer. Harry mentioned that
the metrics are somewhat different based on a new approach to certain keywords appearing in the RUL
Counting Opinions survey responses. Enriching Knowledge and Friendly Service both continue to score
well, but Essential Services and Higher Education Focus received only moderately positive feedback.
The team discussed methods for seeking input, to broaden the definition of Essential Services.
2) New Faculty Orientation (M. Tokar)
- Michele reported on the New Faculty Orientation. Michele was able to refer several new engineering
faculty to Connie Wu. However, Michele was unhappy with the venue of the orientation, the new
Welcome Center on Busch campus. Several team members suggested using the fourth floor of Alexander
Library as a new venue for this. Harry plans to share this suggestion with Marianne Gaunt and
explore if it is feasible.
3) E-ssentials Newsletter (R. Martinez)
- Rebecca distributed the latest E-ssentials Newsletter to the team members. Marianne Gaunt and Gene
Springs have been encouraging faculty to subscribe to E-ssentials, and subscriptions are up. The
next issue is coming out in November. The newsletter focuses on resources, services, and events of
interest to faculty.
4) Marketing & Public Relations Team and the new Libraries Strategic Plan (H. Glazer)
- Harry informed the group of the team's projected role in the context of the new strategic plan,
specifically point 4a: "Develop a marketing plan to inform residents and state agencies and
institutions on New Jersey of the availability of RUL's resources and services." The team responded
with the following recommendations of resources & services to promote:
- Alumni Digital Library
- US Patent & Trademark Resource Center (@ LSM)
- NJ Environmental Digital Library
- Genealogy materials in Special Collections & University Archives
- East Asian Library
- JerseyCat (interlibrary loan platform)
- Meebo/Reference chat/Ask A Librarian
- Institute of Jazz Studies
- New Jersey Digital Highway
- Government Documents
- RUL Media Experts list
- Specialized materials & subject specialist librarians (promote via public libraries)
- Thematic resources, such as 'NJ history' and 'Gov't & Gov't related'
Harry suggested that there are two questions to be considered in assessing these recommendations:
- Will promoting ‘location-bound' resources be discouraging to potential (but geographically distant) users?
- Which resources/services can accommodate increased demand?
Harry plans to share these ideas with Marianne and Francoise at their next meeting and seek their
input on the top 3-4 resources/services to promote.
5) Miscellaneous Business (H. Glazer)
- Kim Kaiser will lead the RUL team at Rutgers Day in April 2012.
- Ray Balter is developing a major news story for the Libraries' news pages.
- Harry and Rebecca are working with an undergraduate marketing class project team on marketing the Scarlet Latte to the undergraduate community.
- Connie Wu suggested putting the multi-language RUL welcome page in brochure format. Rose Barbalace seconded this suggestion, pointing out that new international students are unable to access the RUL home page because they do not yet have a Net ID or a password.
Thursday, October 27, 2:30 pm
University Librarian's Conference Room
[NOTE: This meeting was subsequently canceled]
Thursday, December 1, 2:30 pm
University Librarian's Conference Room
Minutes prepared by
September 26, 2011