Minutes for August 7, 2012 Meeting
- Kalaivani Ananthan (in place of T. Purger), Isaiah Beard, Vibiana Cvetkovic, Kayo Denda, Matt Gallagher (recorder), Jane Otto (chair), Megan Ruszala, Jane Sloan
- Michelle Oswell, Tibor Purger, Gracemary Smulewitz, Mary Beth Weber
1) Approval of the Agenda and General Notes
- M. Ruszala was not on the Media Team email list or Zimbra calendar. J. Otto will add her accordingly.
- September meeting is being rescheduled; J. Otto will send a doodle poll to determine the date
2) Media Team Presence on RUL page
- J. Otto updated Media Team's information, meetings and minutes on RUL's 'Committee and Task Forces' webpage.
3) Technical Update (K. Ananthan & I. Beard)
- The streaming server has been purchased. Installation has not yet begun because of a generator installation taking place on Aug. 12. That installation will affect IIS servers and they are busy ensuring this installation will not affect pertinent services during that 12-hour period.
- D. Hoover will be a point person on the installation and administration of the Wowza streaming server.
- The Media Team needs to specify access use cases to IIS. These were tentatively identified as 1) no access restrictions, 2) restricted to RU community, and 3) restricted to a specific course. There may be others, for example, for Camden County College, UMDNJ, or Camden-Rowan users.
- There were also questions about responsibility for transcoding, requirements for statistical reporting, and training. It must be decided whether a staff member at TSB or Media Services will be responsible for transcoding non-reserve content prior to its ingestion on the streaming server. Some content must be transcoded at the Media Center and this will require training.
- J. Sloan will talk to J. Gardner and M. Just about calling a meeting to discuss training requirements and use cases. The meeting should include (at least) I. Beard, D. Hoover, J. Reinhart, and the Media Team. K. Ananthan will discuss training with T. Purger.
5) Licensing/ERMS Issues
- Daphne Roberts (Media Services) is currently systematically contacting distributors in the ProCite database, requesting/asking about their respective streaming rights clauses to already purchased titles. M. Gallagher will forward the list of titles he has purchased within the past year with streaming rights to D. Roberts to consolidate the list of streaming titles ready to be transcoded and uploaded onto Wowza server upon installation & configuration.
- M. Ruszala & M. Gallagher met with G. Smulewitz & C. Pecoraro regarding the ERMS. From this meeting, it appears the ERMS is currently unable to meet the needs for maintaining the rights associated with the streaming titles being hosted on the Wowza server; it is not integrated with SIRSI, cannot link to electronic documents (e.g., a pdf of an executed contract), and can't flag expiration dates for notification purposes. A larger discussion will need to take place between DTS & TAS regarding the ERMS and its potential for non-EBSCO titles. There appears to be a need for an interim solution for streaming media.
- J. Sloan will talk to G. Smulewitz about sharing responsibility for future contract negotiations with non-database streaming video vendors, particularly where there is no charge for the streaming. All contracts need to be centrally managed, be they signed contracts, click-through agreements, or email chains pertaining to contract negotiations. For ready access, M. Gallagher is maintaining a copy at T:\Streaming Licenses/[vendor name]/[title name]
- There are still some workflow issues to resolve; recently a vendor payment was delayed when the cataloger was not notified that a contract had been signed. It's unclear whether emails between DTS and the vendor are meant to go to the full Media Orders discussion list, or how this is handled by the Serials and E-Monographs teams. J. Otto will follow up with G. Smulewitz. In the meantime, M. Gallagher will continue to forward each contract to G. Smulewitz, who negotiates with the vendor and forwards the final contract to T. Izbicki for signature.
- M. Gallagher has begun to learn serial controls in SIRSI to prompt the takedown or renewal of term-licensed streaming video content six months prior to their expiration. Effective immediately, he will add serial controls for limited term licenses and discuss if any reports need to be generated with C. Sterback. This is to prompt decisions about renewal/cancellation decisions.
6) Media Usage Statistics
- The Team looked at the usage statistics for Journey to Planet Earth and discussed why usage was so high. SAS purchased this set itself, tied it into the curriculum and other programs/events, and heavily promoted it through a website.
- There is a need for more comprehensive streaming video usage statistics, for vendor-hosted titles (e.g., Alexander Street Press), NJVid titles, and titles to be hosted by RUL on the new streaming server.
- Media Team needs to report to IIS on anticipated types of usage statistics reports so they can configure the installation & implementation accordingly.
- J. Sloane will request a complete video usage statistical report from Mary Siegel at Alexander Street Press.
- NJvid usage statistics distributed by D. Smith conflict with those J. Otto gathered for G. Agnew from the NJVid website. J. Sloan will forward Smith's reports to the Team and craft something to send to M. Gaunt and/or G. Agnew about following up with D. Smith, who last spring requested a meeting to discuss future plans for NJVid. J. Otto will distribute her statistics as well, and ask Sujay where/why there is a discrepancy.
7) Order Forms Update and Current Ordering Workflow
- Order forms update moved to next meeting due to absence of M. Oswell & M.B. Weber
8) Media Booking Request Button in OPAC
- J. Reinhart & B. Warwick invited to next Media Team meeting to discuss progress on the development of Media Booking Button in IRIS.
9) Dynamic List of Streaming Titles
- Dynamic list of streaming titles to be placed on the library website and its implementation to be discussed next meeting.
10) Commercial video streaming metadata application profile
- G. Agnew will be meeting later this month with J. Otto, M. Gallagher, T. Purger, and I. Beard to discuss a curriculum-focused metadata application profile.
11) RU-tv Contacts
- A brief discussion about contacts within RU-tv concluded the meeting. This will potentially be a matter for further discussion regarding a collaboration of resources. RU-tv uses Swank as a source for streaming video and certain parts of its archive (i.e. its interview series) may be of interest to RUcore.
- The Media Team may want to revisit the possibility of using Swank as a source for streaming video.
- J. Sloan will be attending a meeting about the Knowledge Network and will report at the next Media Team meeting. [The Knowledge Network is a television consortium whose mission is to broadly communicate science and research; it was founded in 2011 by the NSF and a pilot group of universities, including George Mason University; see "Growing the Knowledge Network" at http://tinyurl.com/8mw7w93.]
Michelle Oswell will be the recorder for the next meeting.