STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of June 20, 2005 Meeting

Present:
Natalie Borisovets, Susan Beck, Jeanne Boyle (Chair), Tom Frusciano, Marty Kesselman, Patricia Libutti (Meeting Recorder), Bob Sewell, Karen Wenk, Myoung Wilson.

1. AUL Report - Jeanne Boyle.

Council Rotation Incoming members to the PSC were welcomed (Marty Kesselman, Jeris Cassel, Eileen Stec, Kevin Mulcahy, and from Special Collections Bonita Grant.) Rotating off the Council are Patricia Libutti, Sara Harrington, Karen Wenk, and Tom Frusciano. The new Planning and Coordinating Committee representative will be chosen from the new members.

1A. Brochures

Both LibQUAL and The Communications Audit included the observation that language problems (e.g., terminology) made it difficult for users to understand how to use databases and “connect from home”. One thing recommended in the communications audit was “catchy phrases”. Brochures are being prepared with attention to language.

1B.Citation Management Software

In April, Patricia Libutti and Dave Hoover went to an EndNotes training provided by the Center for the Advancement of Teaching (CAT) and the Office of Instructional and Research Technology (OITE). The University is not at this time ready to recommend one software for site licensing. Discussion included the rate of complaint re EndNote, according to S. Beck. Also discussed were issues on being able to help users, no matter what the choice of software was; ways a citation manager is used; considering this kind of software as a personal purchase, as well as previously discussed difficulties or ease with technical issues with EndNotes and RefWorks. The software evaluation group, led by Marty, will speak with RefWorks at ALA to learn more and will post information about the session. J. Boyle was most interested in what it would take to make a proposal for a site license (i.e., training, file configurations, questions from users). R. Sewell spoke about funding from the student computing fee. There is, at this time for 2005-2006, a first announcement for New Brunswick in the amount of $175,000 to maintain electronic resources and $119,00 to support computer labs. Figures of 205K-225K were declared for New Brunswick if S. Bartz’s grant funding for computers were taken into account.

2. RAPID - Judy Gardner

RAPID is an expedited interlibrary loan service for article delivery developed by librarians at Colorado State University. Participants contribute serial holdings (title, year) information, and can limit which campus libraries participate. RAPID does not emulate EZ Borrow from the user’s standpoint; it is not a user-initiated service and users do not place requests directly from bib records within a catalog. Rutgers patrons will continue to use the ILL article request form, but ILL staff will not locate owning libraries and verify holdings. With one keystroke we can send article requests into the RAPID system, which identifies an owning library and sends the request on. The system incorporates load leveling. Participants agree to a 24-hour turnaround (excluding weekends). The cost involved is $9,000 for the initial set up and $8,000 annual fee. Judy Gardner will meet with RAPID staff at ALA.ILL staff are planning a visit to Penn, where RAPID has been implemented.

3. Legacy Round Robin- Everyone

Sara Harrington: (via e-mail) Firstly, for the foreseeable future, I think that PSC should pay close attention to the Rutgers-New Brunswick Curriculum Working Group, and the developments of the new core curriculum that would allow the Libraries to partner more fully in how information literacy is to be brought into the classroom. Then, the challenge would be how the Libraries can play a comprehensive, concrete, and evolving role in this initiative. Secondly, (and I know this is challenging) I think we need to recognize the integrative way that students work by recommending the installation of Word on all library computers, as well as other actions that work to break down the barriers to the fluid use of library resources.

Marty Kesselman: foresees beyond the library becoming even more important, such as chat reference. We should look at Q & A NJ, other ways of delivering reference (i.e., Instant Messenger).

Natalie Borisovets: We need to keep an eye on undergraduates' needs. We need to look more at course management software, and integrate library resources with faculty. Several members noted beginnings of such.

Karen Wenk: We need to be more open to helping people in the spirit of public service. I think it is important for us to be able to try to work with our patrons on individual issues instead of relying on the line that we don't support a particular browser or a piece of software. A willingness to help each person is important. Google Scholar was a big development this year and getting this resource listed on our Website has been particularly difficult. We should be able to respond to this kind of new development more quickly in order to be a leader among our peers. We need to be more forward thinking instead of waiting until everyone else is already doing it. Meta-search is probably going to be the next important development that we will need to address.

Judy Gardner: Reaffirmed our commitment to service to undergraduates; continuing to strive to help users find and make sense of the myriad electronic resources we offer on the Web, through federated, meta searching, website design, etc.; improving basic information and public services.

Patricia Libutti: It is essential that we keep the connections going with faculty across the university and communicated to all RUL. The attention given to the liaison reports last year, if done regularly, provides us with the views we need. The attention to the first time library user will continually need reviving, since there is major turnover every year.

Tom Frusciano: We have a lot of resources we actually own. Patrons suffer from the perception that we do not own materials. With respect to bibliographic instruction, there is an overload for some when classes show up on the spot. Allocation of time to either digital projects or collections means that resources are being divided. A suggestion was that "Special Collections" should be added to the form for instructors when requesting BI.

Myoung Wilson: Myoung finished up her sixth year as Chair of the New Brunswick Libraries Information Services/Steering Group and on PSC. She expressed the sentiment that there were some disagreements but she feels one does not learn anything from someone who always agrees. We should identify different user groups that need different service. Discussion resulted in the following list of groups: transfer students, first year students, honors students, returning students, off campus students, and commuters. For example, we need to understand the impact that Part Time Lecturers have on students. We also need a sequence of our own courses [levels] with Searchpath; this can help manage the succession of instruction. Ensuing discussion included the view that Critical Thinking, mentioned in the undergraduate curriculum revision, wasn’t a course, it was a way of thinking, as well as the need of transfer students to be introduced to the Libraries.

Susan Beck focused on service and place issues. She wished to keep the undergraduate as a priority. Their perspective was "I want it now, want it fast." We still need to be more users centered, friendly, and identify what constitutes good service. LibQUAL doesn’t provide that information, although she believes that the data need to be mined for what is present on this issue. People want information control, and when they do not have it (as in past problems in remote access) they perceive the Libraries to be difficult. Discussion included the observation that Public Services should drive everything here.

Bob Sewell: concurred with others on the need for undergraduate service to be a priority, and voiced the intention materials to help that priority. The OmniFile database will be purchased with cancellation of other materials. He believed that "getting to the student means getting to the faculty." Members discussed ways to do that, including presentations at Faculty Councils Another area of concern was an assessment of the impact that Google Scholar would have on everything we do. People are not aware of what we have digitally. He is waiting to hear about the budget, and brought up concerned about stabilization of funds.

Jeanne Boyle believes that having librarians with more face-to-face time with departments will help. Continuing to collaborate with teaching faculty in development of the new undergraduate curriculum and the incorporation of information literacy will be important. In the fall, the undergraduate teaching conference may focus on the new curriculum. A list of service projects requiring technology support that she is developing for Cabinet will help PSC develop goals.

4. Round Robin - Everyone

Marty Kesselman: We are going ahead with Scopus, with one year to assess its impact. Mei Ling will be the main contact.

Natalie Borisovets: PAC continues to meet and tweak the IRIS release. Also, Dana is excited about looking for a Social Sciences Librarian.

Karen Wenk: WAC indicates that the Google Scholar page for the Indexes and Databases list is coming soon.

Judy Gardner: An electronic tutorial on ILL will be released via email, created by staff at the Paul Robeson Library (Vibiana Cvetkovic, Julie Still, John Gibson, Teri McNally, Debra Goldberg, and Katie Anderson), with feedback from the Electronic Reserves Working Group and Web Advisory Committee. Also, new student ID cards will be needed in February 2006.

Patricia Libutti: The ISC will be releasing information about Searchpath to faculty and instructors to coincide with their syllabus construction in August. Also, there has not been an appreciable amount of use of Searchpath yet to continue with the assessment plan prepared. It will be adjusted for upcoming anticipated use.

Tom Frusciano: The NJDH Workshop for educators will take place from July 5 through July 9.

Susan Beck: Our users on a daily basis use Yahoo, Google, etc.

Bob Sewell: spoke about the water disaster in Special Collections. A small amount of materials were sent out for freeze-drying; however, the reassembling and putting back of materials is progressing well. We are looking at a gas suppression system for Special Collections. The Director's Station now helps us create reports from SIRSI easily for various assessment activities. The Fund Code Review Task Force determined that the fund code ELPX will go away; being reduced to subject codes.

Jeanne Boyle: thanked all for their contributions and the web page will be updated with new member listings.

Meeting adjourned: 11: 40 a.m.

Next Meeting: Thursday, July 28, 2005, University Librarians Conference Room, Alexander Library

Meeting Recorder:
Patricia O'Brien Libutti



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/psc/minutes/pscmin_05_06.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)