STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of May 27, 1999 Meeting

Present:
Susan Beck, Natalie Borisovets, Jeanne Boyle, Ilona Caparros, Ellen Calhoun, Jeris Cassel, Tom Frusciano, Judy Gardner, Harriette Hemmasi, Ron Jantz, Jackie Mardikian, Penny Page, Bob Sewell, Thelma Tate
Absent:
Ben Beede, Ann Montanaro, Ann Scholz-Crane

Agenda and Minutes - Accepted as presented

AUL/PSC Report

Jeanne Boyle reported on the following:

The Networked Printing Task Force met with Gail Schmidt, university purchasing, to review the responses to our RFP. Selection has been narrowed to two vendors. The plan for the coming year has been modified to focus on the pilot at the Alexander Library and standalone printers in each library. Gail Schmidt will notify the bidders and arrange for a trial. Funding must be found for the standalone printers.

Cabinet has discussed concerns about open Internet access on library workstations, particularly regarding anonymous email and access by minors. Jeanne reviewed library polices and relevant laws, and it appears that access cannot be denied based on what anyone, including minors, is viewing. We may, however, need a policy on minors' access to the libraries based on equipment availability and general behavior concerns, or perhaps an overall code of conduct. SACOPS has previously said that the university policy on appropriate use of technology was adequate for the libraries, but it may be time to revisit that recommendation. Jeanne will prepare background for a future discussion.

Cabinet accepted the Extended Campus Services Task Force report with support. Cabinet has agreed with the integrated approach recommended. The web pages recommended are being prepared for the new web site and will be called Off-Campus Support. Cabinet will discuss further when recommendations for the instruction component are available.

Jeanne and Judy Gardner will be visiting Sage Library tomorrow morning, Friday, May 28. They will have a tour and meet with Renee House, library director and dean, to work on a statement confirming the services available to the constituencies of each institution at the other institution's libraries.

Several librarians will be visiting the Western Monmouth Higher Education Center tomorrow afternoon to meet with Barbara Fiorella, Rutgers program coordinator, David Murray, Director of the Brookdale library, and other Brookdale personnel. The purpose of the visit is to tour the facility, review the first year experience of the Rutgers/Brookdale partnership, and discuss plans for the coming summer and fall semesters. Those attending will be Jeanne Boyle, Jeris Cassel, Judy Gardner, Rebecca Gardner, Kevin Mulcahy, Ann Montanaro, and Ann Watkins.

Continuous Education has contracted with eCollege, formerly called Real Education, to produce asynchronous courses. There will be meetings and demonstrations June 17 and 18, and Jeanne is putting together a group for a scheduled library session.

At the next meeting, there will again be a legacy round robin, and Jeanne will invite any new members who have been identified. All current SACOPS members are requested to be ready to speak for about 5 minutes on public service accomplishments in their areas and challenges they recommend that the new council address. Jeanne will also be contacting committee chairs about annual reports and membership for the coming academic year.

Systems / LIS Updates

Harriette Hemmasi reported for Ann Montanaro. She noted that the RUCS maintenance schedule has changed to Tuesday evenings. Penn State and CUNY are potential SIRSI customers and will be making site visits to Rutgers. A test database has been sent to LTI, the authorities vendor. A cleaned up file with heading changes and authority records has been returned. References will be available beginning with the second semester in the coming year. References can be seen in the test catalog now. Harriette is sending a charge to PAC and the authorities control task force to work on documentation. There will be a presentation for SACOPS.

Judy Gardner reported that circulation and access services staff began using Workflows this past Monday, May 24. All has proceeded smoothly so far. E-reserves will be introduced this summer systemwide. Reserve staff had a meeting this week, and staff instructions will be issued the first week in June. An example of a reserve course is in the test catalog. The readings will be presented in pdf form, and they will take some time to load when requested. All is being tested.

Impact of Not Loading RUL Cataloging Records into OCLC

Harriette Hemmasi reviewed a discussion document titled "Impact of Not Loading RUL Cataloging Records into OCLC" that was distributed before the meeting and shared with SACCDM and SACOTAS. Judy Gardner presented additional background information on the status and use of RUL records in OCLC for interlibrary loan. Highlights of the discussion were: It is uncertain what the OCLC charge of $.5 million for reloading our records covers. Serials holdings are a particular difficulty. Some of our important borrowing partners are OCLC libraries. The statewide Ameritech request service will have a transition schedule for getting all New Jersey libraries on the new system, and it is uncertain when Rutgers will be included. Special Collections and others have noticed a marked increase in use, both in person and through interlibrary loan, since the tape loads of the retrospective conversion project. OCLC is an international resource with many libraries abroad using it heavily. It is a trend in interlibrary loan services to move to using OCLC because of its robust interlibrary loan management features. IRIS is available worldwide. Continuing to load Rutgers records into OCLC is an important contribution internationally, nationally, and to New Jersey. We experience equal amounts of inaccurately directed requests from RLIN and OCLC. Our OCLC lending is primarily to New Jersey libraries. We should continue to load our records into OCLC.

In a similar discussion, SACOTAS thought here would be a big impact on interlibrary loan and that it was important to continue to contribute as a sign of Rutgers status. SACCDM found no impact on the work of collection development.

Judy Gardner suggested that future funding for continued tape loads might be found from within the existing statewide interlibrary services grant.

It was noted that direct user requesting will have a higher rate of fulfillment because known and located items are being requested. In a service program that includes direct user requesting, interlibrary loan staff will work on requests for titles that are difficult to identify and to find.

The recommendation is that Rutgers continue to load records into OCLC.

Y2K Contingency Plan

Jeanne noted that Ann Montanaro represents the Libraries on the university Y2K committee, and she referred to the draft "Y2K Contingency Planning" distributed before the meeting. The university committee has asked each university agency to prepare a plan. Harriette reported that all microcomputers have been checked for Y2K compliance. It was suggested that we might also need patches for such software programs as Microsoft Office. This is an entirely new level of Y2K readiness to consider.

In the plan outline, there is a team for the first day of the year 2000. After that date, systems staff would provide troubleshooting and support. It was suggested that we need a checklist for each person for his or her machine. RUCS provides a service to check personal microcomputers for compliance, and there is software at the RUCS site to download for checking personal machines.

Elevators are essential in some libraries if users with disabilities are to get to the restrooms. The Douglass Library is an example. Harriette noted that all personal computers and servers are Y2K compliant but that two pieces of software are not: student payroll and media booking. Judy will ask the Access Services Committee to draft text for circulation concerns. "Civil unrest" in the draft outline presented was changed to "emergency".

The draft outline will be amended and sent to Cabinet.

Free Internet Databases Demo

Ellen Calhoun demonstrated several free government databases available on the Internet. Some titles are available as depository items in multiple formats, some are online versions of titles discontinued in paper, some exist in several versions with differing content, and some are web pages. We do not yet have a consistent approach to providing access either through IRIS or our web pages.

The Federal Depository Library Program Internet (FDLP) collection is available via GPO Access (www.access.gpo.gov). We do have a link from IRIS to the official GPO Monthly Catalog, but we do not have links in IRIS to all databases on the FDLP list. For example, the Code of Federal Regulations is available in paper, microfiche, and online with separate item numbers for each format. We have selected the paper and online item numbers, and the paper version is cataloged in IRIS but the online version is not. We have provided a Proquest link to the Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, but not yet to the GPO PURL. There is a list of 20 titles comprising a basic collection for all depository libraries, and a list of the URLs is available in the GPO online tools. The Monthly Catalog has separate item numbers for paper, CDROM, and electronic formats. Within the Monthly Catalog itself are URL/PURLs for 8500 titles.

The DOE Information Bridge (www.doe.gov/bridge) is an online version of the discontinued Energy Research Abstracts. This is an executive branch publication. How should we catalog such items? We cannot add them to the record for the paper version.

We have a confusion of Monthly Catalog choices. The government information web guide takes users to the telnet UnCover version. The Autographics version is available from the Dana and Alexander Library pages. There is a web version available through GPO Access.

A number of ERIC files are available from various sources. The search engine Google (www.google.com) is especially useful to find them. ERIC is a great resource for government publications. Rutgers is listed in the Department of Education Resource Collections because we select Resources in Education. Our listing there is somewhat misleading, because our access to the ERIC index is from a commercial vendor and, therefore, restricted. Other libraries in this directory offer access through the freely accessible ERIC Clearinghouse on Information and Technology web page.

Selected Water Resources Abstracts ceased in paper and was issued in CDROM form. The CDROM is produced by a commercial firm and is available for $1,283/year. This commercial product contains more than just government publications, and LSM subscribes. Now a version that is just USGS publications (water.usgs.gov) is available to depository libraries as a depository item (same item number for the online version as the previous paper). A version is also available from the university water resource network. These resources are not in IRIS.

DOTBOT (search.bts.gov), a US Department of Transportation index, is not available as a depository item and is not in IRIS. DOTBOT indexes titles from the various operating units of the DOT that are depository items.

NASA has an Internet index (www.sti.nasa.gov) that replaces STAR. LSM receives microfiche of the technical reports it indexes via GPO.

There was discussion about how government information can be accessed through the libraries web pages. The possibility of a link from the top page was viewed favorably. Full text databases are of particular interest. Perhaps the question is: do we catalog web pages? The Information Bridge is a web page. We are now adding URLs to IRIS for government document serial titles that have already been cataloged in their paper format. We need to pull together work being done by WAC, New Brunswick, the Autographics subscriptions, the earlier exception we made for adding URLs to catalog records for documents, a Sirsi demo, and the work of the Common Knowledge Database team.

UUGI Conference Panel Discussion

Harriette Hemmasi asked for help preparing for a Sirsi user group meeting panel presentation on the future of library automation. She referred to a previously distributed draft and gave the example of Sirsi as a gateway using Z39.50 for searching the web and indexes. Web search engines present more primitive search functions. Would it be a service for Sirsi to address this problem?

Comments were: Sirsi could work with other vendors, like Ovid, to create one search platform and provide links to holdings. Sirsi could design a system to show users where they are. There needs to be a local information link so access policies or search guides can be provided from the bibliographic record. Truncation and wild cards symbols could be standardized. It was noted that truncation in Z39.50 is standardized as a "$".

Harriette said there would be a later program on this topic, and she requested everyone to email her if additional thoughts occur after the meeting.

Discussion Topic: Reference in Our Digital Environment; Information Services PSAM 18

Jeanne introduced the discussion topic by noting that she has heard various opinions over the past year about reference and its importance to our program and our users. At issue is how we can move forward and do new things if we must also continue to provide all our traditional library services. Where does reference fit in this discussion? We have created a well-received online reference service. Also, we do need to update PSAM 18, "Information Service At Rutgers University Libraries", which presents an interesting organization of how we thought about reference and information services in 1992, when the PSAM was approved. The term "Information Services" was used because we were trying to get on the bandwagon of computer technology, and we saw reference as a subsidiary to information services, and instruction as subsidiary to reference. Is that still how we view these services?

The discussion that ensued included the following points: Reference is basic. We are not just a building. Reference is basic "customer education". Do we want to continue to have a reference desk? It was thought there is a deemphasis on reference in many libraries. Except for Newark, we are pushing people away from reference through our deemphasis on providing printing, and pushing people away from email on our workstations. We should be integrating services. Instead, we are determining what we will do in our buildings and what we will do outside. This is part of the trend to devalue who we are and what we do. We participate in university activities rather than merely provide support for the university mission. We need to make that point in our mission statement, or we are actively lowering ourselves, as when we talk of our users as "clients". In Ask a Librarian, the basic questions are the small minority. It is a problem when a major research library in the system is not open for reference on Saturday. That implies reference is not considered seriously. Other service desks and libraries pick up the slack. Reference summer hours in New Brunswick are all different and confusing. Creating reference desk tools makes the work more complex because then librarians need to know how the tools work. Graduation could require an information literacy test. Reference is part of instructional services rather than the other way around. Reference should be above information rather than the other way around. There is a difference between directional, quick reference, and questions that take 5 minutes or more. It was noted that there are formal definitions for the statistical categories directional and reference, and Jeanne will send the definitions to SACOPS members.

Jeanne asked for leadership ideas she could pass to the new Council on this topic. It was suggested that we need to identify what our important tasks are. Reference falls to the bottom of the list because there are so many things to do. We need time to train ourselves. The Ask a Librarian team learns by doing.

The PSAM revision should note that we "participate", not just "support", the university mission. It should include a direction to email, AAL prior questions, or other information on the web page.

We need to have a larger discussion. Why do we need reference? The statistics have dropped. Yet in New Brunswick reference services at Kilmer and Douglass could not be dropped. Looking at numbers is not sufficient, particularly when we are getting questions that are more involved. Questions are often layered, leading to issues about how they are counted.

The discussion will continue in the new Council, and Jeanne will draft a revision of the PSAM.

Round Robin:

Jackie Mardikian reported that the New Brunswick Information Services Steering Group is working on food and drink concerns. St. Louis University has an interesting FAQ on the topic and is selling official cups for use in the library.

Tom Frusciano attended the RLG Primary Resources Forum at Yale. There were UK attendees, and he will share his notes.

Ron Jantz reviewed the new web page roll out schedule. Public computers in the libraries will cut over to the new site in July. Cabinet will review the site June 2, and there will be training sessions in the last half of June. Since some of the changes include vocabulary changes, e.g., web guides will be called "Research Guides", there will be some adjustment. Access to the old site will be available for several months.

Judy Gardner distributed copies of the Metro directory and asked everyone to catalog them so they are available for librarian and staff use.

Bob Sewell said that the budget advisory committee report was almost completed. The report requests support for collections and includes recon. He is working on the collection budget for next year based on the request in the report. He is quite sure that Web of Science will be coming, and there will be a trial in late June or July. Collection descriptions for the new web pages are in progress. The collection strategies document has been completed and will be located on the new Libraries and Collections web page.

The meeting was adjourned.

Submitted by,
Jeanne Boyle



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/psc/minutes/pscmin_99_05.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)