Minutes of October 25, 2005 meeting
- Raymond Balter, Pat Belanca, Kristen Ko, Priscilla Lee, Meghan Lord, Theresa Macklin, Linda Mazzeo, Eugene McElroy, Nita Mukherjee, Holly Muller, Mary Anne Nesbit, Glenn Sandberg, Nicole Warren(recroder), Drue Williamson, Chiaki Yamada.
- Carolyn Foote (Dana)
- Rebecca Luo (ILS-ALEX, Borrowing Coordinator)
- Update how to process MICRO-FILM or MICRO-FICHE
- Unicorn GL 3.0
- Sirsi : Client Care: Web Forum
- Revising Purpose Statement
- Recommendation for name change for all groups
- Information Sharing
- Rebecca Luo, a new staff person at ILS-Alex, Borrowing Coordinator, was welcomed as a
guest to the meeting. The group also welcomed new member Meghan Lord from Alexander Library.
- New Field on the Pull Lists: The daily RDS pull lists now include the date a hold was
originally placed. This addition will help to identify how long an item was on the pull list,
if holds that have not been processed and canceling holds for missing items that have been
searched. On the fourth day if a hold is not processed the staff will be contacted by email.
- Nita asked for feedback about the PALCI Aged Holds Report, which now includes
outstanding incoming and outgoing requests. Group members are satisfied with the changes to
- Revisions have been made to the NBL website at
http://nbl/nbl_access_services/ACCESS1/ACCESS1.html to make it more streamlined and
information more easily accessible. Recent updates on the RDS web page are: membership
directory, PALCI procedures, RRS Off-Campus User, RDS Training PowerPoint presentation (Oct.
5th. 2005). The group was asked to review the RDS documentation on the site and to forward
any suggestions or comments to Nita.
- The general consensus of the RDS training given on October 5, was that it was a great
success, informative and well attended. Plans are being made for the presentation to be
available electronically at the State of the Libraries on Nov. 2nd, 2005.
- Recording of the monthly meeting minutes will now be shared between group members. Each
month Nita will ask for a volunteer to record the next month’s minutes. Nicole volunteered
for the October meeting, and Glenn has volunteered for the November meeting.
- Zohreh has requested that when reserve staff needs to place holds of individual volumes
of a multi volume set, they will place a copy level hold, instead of a title level hold. If a
particular volume is missing, RDS staff must charge item to Miss-Lib user, remove the hold
and notify the reserve staff.
2. MICRO-FILM or MICRO-FICHE PROCESSING
- Procedures were recently revised to reflect a change in processing of fiche.
- Previously fiche from other units was sent to Charlie Weniger at LSM Imaging Services, but
their machine is no longer working and won’t be replaced. Instead fiche, with a copy of the
ILS request, should be sent to ILS-Alex Lending, Attn: Mary Belasco.
- Procedures for processing all types of microform requests were reviewed for changes and
- Nita and Nicole will work on drafting procedures for processing non- circulating Gov. Docs.
- Revised instructions will be available shortly under RDS documentation on the NBL site.
3. UNICORN GL 3.0
- A next release of the Unicorn GL3.0 is going to be a major new release.
- In early November the system will be available in the Test System
- Volunteers are needed to test RDS functions.
- Nita suggested that the group review the release notes (p.83-122), found on the libraries’
website under: Staff Resources/Systems/Useful Links/Unicorn Documentation
- Some of the new features for RDS include:
- a "pick-up by date" can be inserted in notices
- the capability of holds being placed on ON-ORDER items
- new clear hold shelf reports
- there's a new display title hold wizard
- It is expected that the final version of the new release will be available during Spring Break 2006.
4. SIRSI CLIENT CARE: WEB FORUMS
Nita asked for volunteers to join the discussion groups and readers and/or contributors. A
list of Sirsi web enhancement forums, discussion forums, and listservs was distributed. Group
coordinators and volunteers will get the opportunity to vote on enhancements in their areas
for Rutgers. Recommendations will be made to the Access Services Committee to give to Sirsi.
Chris Sterbeck will issue logins and passwords to those interested.
5. PURPOSE STATEMENT
The group reviewed several proposed purpose statements, made comments and suggestions and a
final draft was decided upon to send for Judy’s review.
6. RECOMMENDATION FOR NAME CHANGE FOR ALL GROUPS
The group reviewed a handout containing several of the group name recommendations forwarded
in the past month.
- The group agreed on a new name. The best choice for the group’s name would be Rutgers
Delivery Services Group.
- The group recommends GROUP as first choice and TEAM as second choice for all other
7. INFORMATION SHARING
- Raymond/Douglass- There’s been an increase in microfiche requests. Douglass hosted a
Security Workshop for student staff that was successful.
- Pat/Alcohol- Alcohol has had an increase in the number of requests in general.
- Glenn/ILS-Alex- Rebecca will be meeting with Nicole this week to learn about the processing
of PALCI items in Access Services. A demonstration on RAPID, an interlibrary article delivery
service, will be given to ILS staff on November 7. At this point Rutgers will only be
participating in the borrowing end of the service, but once we begin lending Alexander will
most likely be the test site.
- Theresa/Camden- There has been an increase in incoming and outgoing PALCI items.
- Chiaki/Douglass- She’s been busy with student management and scheduling to accommodate
shortages due to midterms.
- Meghan/Alexander- She started working at Alexander about two weeks ago, and is getting
- Holly/LSM- Kevin Conover started on 10/24/05 as the new Library Assistant II, in the
evenings. His primary responsibility will be for reserves. There has also been an increase in
the number of outgoing PALCI request.
- Linda/Music- There’s been an increase in requests and they are experiencing a staff
shortage but still managing to keep up productivity.
- Nicole/Alexander- Training of new student employees is complete. There has been an increase
in microform request for the law libraries.
- Drue/LSM- Plans are being made for LSM to receive a new scanner that is compatible with the
- Kristen/Art- She has been receiving an increase of incoming PACLI books and processing a
lot of requests for ILS.
- Pricilla/Kilmer- Group members were reminded to discharge any items on their Aged In
Transit reports that they find on their hold shelves or in the stacks. If items aren’t
discharged they will still appear on the report. A new staff person Shawn Moriarty, will be
starting at Kilmer on November 1, and her time will be split between reserves and the media
Next Meeting: Tuesday, Nov. 29th. 2:00 PM, Kilmer Library, Media Classroom.