Minutes of January 31, 2006 meeting
- Raymond Balter, Carolyn Foote, Kristen Ko, Priscilla Lee, Meghan Lord, Linda Mazzeo, Theresa Macklin, Eugene McElroy, Dean Meister, Holly Muller, Nita Mukherjee, Mary Anne Nesbit, Glenn Sandberg, Drue Williamson, Chiaki Yamada
- Pat Bellanca, Nicole Warren
- Judy Gardner
- Feedback/News from Imaging Services
- Information Sharing
- How to Process requests with accompanying materials
- Mid Year Report
- WEB CT
- We opened the meeting by welcoming Judy Gardner, Head, University Libraries Access and
- Nita started off by asking the group if they had any problems with the clear hold shelf
report which resumed its daily run on January 24th.; No one reported any problems.; However,
it was suggested that from now on we should hold the books until midnight of the day we’re
scheduled to pull them off the shelves.
- Nita passed around RDS, ILS lending and borrowing statistics for the past 6 months.
- At the last Access Services Committee meeting, there was a discussion about missing
serials and who to contact to update the holdings record.; New Brunswick RDS staff should
contact the serials team leader, Melody Tomaszewicz (melodyt@rci) on the New Brunswick
campus.; Camden and Newark staff should contact their local technical services staff.
- The Shipping Department hired a new RDS delivery person, Philip Tell.
- Nita encouraged everyone to attend the upcoming videoconferencing workshop hosted by
Marilyn Wilt on March 2 from 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at the Janice Levin Building on Livingston
- Judy and Nita presented the group with the new group name, Resource Sharing Group, and
new purpose statement.; Resource Sharing Group encompasses the three major delivery services,
RDS, PALCI (EZ-Borrow) and Interlibrary Loan (ILL). The group was very pleased with the
results because the emphasis and essence of our original purpose statement remains intact.
The group thanked Judy for her concise wording of the purpose statement.
2. FEEDBACK / NEWS FROM IMAGING SERVICES
- Due to a change in job responsibilities, Darryl requests that the branch libraries
without scanners should address their photocopied article requests to Imaging Services - RDS
Articles; and not to his attention.; This step will expedite the processing of the requests.
- Knight Express is now available as a payment option at the Alexander Library Imaging
Services. Students can use their Knight Express cards to pay for purchasing copy cards, flash
drives, opening deposit accounts for Rutgers Delivery Service web document delivery, etc.; As
a result, the Personal Deposit Account form for web document delivery has been updated on the
libraries website to include this new payment option.
- The group was reminded to change the status for any courtesy requests to RU-A-FILD
instead of RU-A-PAID, as well as to update the note field in Workflows. Otherwise it becomes
difficult to locate these free articles and staff end up having to dig these out of the daily
report by paying additional attention to the user name. This will prevent Imaging Services
staff from deducting unnecessary amounts from personal deposit accounts.
3. INFORMATION SHARING
Drue/LSM: New scanner has arrived and software is being upgraded to match.
Holly/LSM:; Requests for PALCI books have increased, especially for Math books.; Processing
many incoming and outgoing PALCI requests with accompanying materials.
Linda/Music:; Noticed an increase in PALCI requests with the start of the semester.
Meghan/Alex: Requests have been stable but has been processing a lot of outgoing PALCI
Glenn/ILS-Alex: There was a realignment of ILS staff at LSM for which they hired a part-time
worker who was trained by Mary Belasco.; Changes were made to the ILL login page, especially
to the article request form.; RAPID is now in its third week and ILS staff are getting lots
of requests for which Glenn thanked Darryl for all his help.
Judy/Admin: Nothing to report.
Ray/Douglass: Good volume of RDS and PALCI requests.; A student was stuck on the elevator
while working on RDS.
Chiaki/Douglass: Nothing to report.
Kristen/Art: Outgoing ILL requests have been steady.; A lot of incoming PALCI requests.;
There were many books on the January 24th clear hold shelf report.; She has asked Andy for
some additional shelving to expand their hold shelf.
Dean/Annex: Receiving many books requested by patrons that had the status “in process” in
IRIS.; Wonders if they will show up in their statistics.
Priscilla/Kilmer: Consolidated their reserves and RDS shelving into one space to make room
for temporary shelving on the shelves behind the circulation desk.; The area where the
temporary shelving used to be will become a sitting area.; Requests were high at the
beginning of the semester but have significantly decreased since yesterday.
Eugene/SMLR: Everything was quiet in his absence.
Carolyn/Dana: PALCI requests have increased.; She only has one student worker to help her in
RDS. She had received requests for provisional PALCI requests for audio-video materials that
could not be shipped.
Theresa/Camden: There was an increase in PALCI requests at the beginning of the semester but
things have slowed down.
Mary Anne/ILS-Camden: Requested an order for some jiffy bags.; Glenn will send some over.
4. HOW TO PROCESS REQUESTS WITH ACCOMPANYING MATERIAL
- Nita mentioned that the standards outlined in the proposal for accompanying materials
affect RDS staff at Alexander Library the most due to the nature of their collection.
- RDS staff should always try to fill requests for accompanying materials and ship the
item and its pieces together, not separately.; All new items that have been cataloged
together should prompt staff to enter the number of pieces upon checkout and discharge.; When
older items that have been cataloged separately get requested, they should be brought to your
local technical services person Natascha Owens (nco4@rci) at CS-Alex or Jamie Maguire
(jamiemag@rci) at CS-LSM, who will fix the record so both items can be shipped together.
Camden and Dana staff should again work with their local technical services staff.
5. MID YEAR REPORT
- The group reviewed the draft of the mid year report.; Some minor changes need to be made
to the names of the group members who trained newly hired staff.
- Before the fiscal year ends, Darryl will train RDS staff on procedures for saving
microfilm/microfiche information to a disk and flash drive, which is one of our goals for
- The group brainstormed on some potential goals for the next fiscal year.; Nita mentioned
the need for RAPID training.; Nicole had sent an email about creating a chart on what
circulates and what doesn’t.; Drue mentioned how the group can colaborate on their time
6. WEB CT
- Priscilla and Chiaki have worked on a RDS quiz in WebCT and did a nice job of covering
what students and Access Services staff needs to know. The group congregated at the
Instructional Alcove classroom of Kilmer library to take the quiz.; Some group members felt
the quiz was somewhat difficult than what they had expected.; There were also some
suggestions to change the wording for a couple of the questions.; Judy, Meghan, Ray and Linda
presented some questions and ideas, which may possibly be added to the final version of the
quiz.; Overall, the group felt the quiz is a good training tool and will provide a good
foundation for everyone who works at the circulation desks.
Next Meeting:; The next meeting will be held at Kilmer Library, Media Classroom on Tuesday,