STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes for March 6, 2015 Meeting

Present:
Stephanie Bartz, Natalie Borisovets, Jeanne Boyle (Interim Vice President for Information Services and University Librarian), Judy Cohn, Janet Croft, Adriana Cuervo, Melissa De Fino, Kayo Denda, Joseph Deodato, Rebecca Gardner, Mina Ghajar, Francesca Giannetti, Tom Glynn (Deputy Faculty Coordinator), Kare Hartman, Ron Jantz, Sarah Jewell, Melissa Just, Nancy Kranich, Triveni Kuchi (Faculty Coordinator), Linda Langschied, Yu-Hung Lin, Mei Ling Lo, Megan Lotts (Faculty Secretary), Christine Lutz, Jim Niessen, Kerry O'Rourke, Laura Palumbo, Janice Pilch, Keir Reavie, Wen Hua Ren, Jonathan Sauceda, Li Sun, Elizabeth Surles, Ann Watkins, Mary Beth Weber, Tao Yang, and Yingting Zhang.

8:45 to 9:15 a.m. - Coffee and Networking

Meeting was called to order - 9:27 a.m.

1. Adoption of the Agenda

A motion was made and the agenda was adopted.

2. Introduction of new Faculty and Guests

Sarah Jewell and Mina Ghajar, two new Librarians from the George F. Smith Library of the Health Sciences, Information & Education Department were introduced.

3. Approval of the Minutes

Minutes from the fall faculty meeting were approved.

4. Old Business

a) MLIS requirement for academic librarian positions.

Review "University Library Policy with Respect to Qualifications for Appointment at Librarian Rank policy." - (Glynn) This issue came up because there was a position in Special Collections advertised, and there was concern that candidates were required to have an MLS. We are proposing that we add to university policy that individuals could also have a degree in rich archival coursework. There was a movement to adopt the change, the vote was unanimous, and motion adopted.

b) Core Competencies of librarians

Francesca Gianetti gave a preliminary report on behalf of the Core Competencies of Librarians PlanCo subgroup, also including Judy Cohn, Minglu Wang, Adriana Cuervo, and Yu-Hung Lin. In October 2014 the subgroup was formed and began their work. In early December the subgroup began building an index of competencies as well as a bibliography of documents referenced. The subgroup also looked at the previous work of Ryan Womack and "the librarians of 2023 survey and report" from 2013 as well as "RUL Liaisons Relationships: a Vision for the Future" from 2011. This effort stems from a need to articulate the common core of what RUL librarians do, as well as think ahead to future job descriptions and professional development activities for RUL librarians. The group initially began its work by using a design thinking exercise that generated roughly 30 competencies that were then mapped to more generalist competency categories based in part on the "ALA core competencies of librarianship." It was noted this document should be fluid and change over time, and perhaps the committee can apply a mechanism to keep this document updated. Next steps: the subgroup will complete the index and will communicate with others when domain experts are needed. The subgroup will submit a draft report to PlanCo at the March or April meeting.

5. New Business

a) Guidelines for the Evaluation of Service document - (De Fino/PPAAC)

Last year PPAAC was charged to review the guidelines for evaluation of librarianship, scholarship, and service. The committee completed work on the guidelines for scholarship and librarianship, and began work on the guidelines for service. The service guidelines were completed by this year's PPAAC. Members include Vincent Pelote, Katie Anderson, Mary Beth Weber, Melissa De Fino, and Melissa Gasparotto. A motion was made to accept the document as stated, the vote was unanimous, and motion carried.

b) Guidelines for Evaluation of Librarianship document - (De Fino/PPAAC)

During the course of PPAAC's work this year on the service guidelines, it became apparent that the librarianship guidelines also needed additional revisions, particularly to the technical services section. The committee updated the librarianship guidelines to accurately represent rapidly changing technical services functions, including archival work. There was concern that this document does not properly reflect the work happening in the Scholarly Communication Center. There was a motion to send this document back to the committee with the suggestion that there needs to be more reflection on automated services.

6. Report of the Interim Vice President for Information Services and University Librarian- (J. Boyle)

  1. Budget report- We will be hearing from Mike Gower at our 11:15 am program today about Responsibility Central Management. This past Monday there was an hour long meeting about how RUL will be managed under the RCM system. Lila Fredenburg, Abbey DiPaolo, and Jeanne Boyle provided a system profile to show how inter-woven we are. Some of our issues within the Libraries are campus specific, and we were able to tell this story when meeting with the four chancellors. There is a bit more detail to work out, and Abbey will meet further with the CFO's. RUL has been asked to make a proposal for shared governance so that the chancellors and CFO's can have a better idea of what is happening within RUL and can be part of the decision making. There will be a discussion in cabinet on how this will happen. There was a question of what kinds of decisions might these be, and it was noted they want to know more about our organization and personnel. We don't know yet exactly what this means. There currently is no time table for when we will know our budget.
  2. Jeanne Boyle met with Barbra Lee, newly appointed Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. She is a supporter of the Libraries and asked many questions about our relationships on campus. Jeanne will be asking her for a monthly meeting.
  3. NB Dean's council- There was a discussion about a faculty productivity reporting template. We are not certain how this will work for RUL. Cabinet will discuss this, and Jeanne also let the NB CFO know that we do not have these types of measures in our department. The template is intended to show how much income faculty are bringing in, and this is not something that will work for us. Besides teaching, Deans noted that faculty also have other assignments, such as program director, committee chair, administrative duties There is also going to be a formal faculty development handbook as well as a meeting each year for new faculty. The Libraries will be a part of the new faculty meeting. Lily Young, New Brunswick provost, is chairing these efforts.
  4. Jeanne Boyle attended the Senate budget & finance committee meeting. The committee has been charged to review athletics finances, and it was noted that compared to athletics the Libraries are listed as one of the departments that is lacking in funding.
  5. Please note that the New Brunswick Spring Celebration will be happening on March 18th from noon-2pm.
  6. Please note that the Faculty Author's celebration will be happening on March 25th at 5pm. Please plan to come and don't forget to RSVP.
  7. Please note that the Rutgers Day committee is looking for volunteers. The event will take place on April 25th, 2015. Please contact Pam Hargwood, Rob Krack, Megan Lotts, or Erica Parin, committee co-chairs.

7. Report of the Faculty Coordinator - Kuchi

An update from PlanCo subgroup regarding …..the core competencies and professional development was provided earlier on the agenda. It was noted, the VP/University Librarian search committee will be meeting on Monday. Please note you may now update your Faculty profile with your net id and password. Please take advantage of this and thanks to the Faculty visibility PlanCo subgroup. The group is also working on a 'librarian specialization' page and will share more information soon. A PlanCo subgroup has been formed to look at the structure of committees, including Tom Glynn, Triveni Kuchi, and Jane Sloan. They will look further at the concept map, communication, and how policies and decisions are made. There will be a future report to PlanCo. PlanCo is also working with the co-chairs of Rules of Procedure to look at the faculty ballots, membership, and restrictions for candidates issues. This sub group includes Tom Glynn, Karen Hartman, Vibiana Cvetkovic (Co-chair ROP), and Stephanie Bartz (Co-chair ROP). Reading committee members can now print out hard copies of scholarship for convenience. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Triveni Kuchi.

8. Communications

None.

9. Reports of Members Serving on University Bodies

10. Reports of Standing Committees

11. Adjourned Business Meeting at 10:42 a.m.

Following the meeting, from 11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., there was a presentation and discussion on Responsibility Center Management (RCM) by Michael Gower, Senior Vice President for Finance and Treasurer, Rutgers University. This program was open for all RUL faculty and staff.


APPENDIX

Faculty Committee Reports March 2015

(In order of submission to RULeveryone list-serv)

Report circulated by Kevin Mulcahy

Since the November faculty meeting, LRC has accomplished the following:


Please find the User Services Council (USC) report.
Regards,
Bobbie Tipton and Yu-Hung Lin
USC Co-Chairs

Major activities of the User Services Council since the November 2014 RUL faculty meeting:


Dear colleagues,

The CUI approved a project to develop a feed of newly acquired library resources on diversity and add it to the committee's website, and make it available for display elsewhere. The committee also successfully submitted a proposal to the NB Strategic Plan for the Diversity and Inclusion open access portal.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Gasparotto


Dear all,
The NBFC met twice this semester. Minutes from the January meeting are pasted below. Older minutes may be found here: http://nbfc.rutgers.edu/year14_15/minutes.html On February 27, the council approved a resolution on contract negotiations and the standing committees met. Chancellor Edwards was unable to attend, and there was no administrative report.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Gasparotto and Li Sun


Minutes of the 200th New Brunswick Faculty Council Meeting
January 30, 2015

  1. Call to Order - Martha Cotter, New Brunswick Faculty Council (NBFC) Chair
  2. Approval of Agenda
  3. Approval of Minutes of December 12, 2014
  4. Chair's Report - Martha Cotter, NBFC Chair
  5. Administrative Report - Richard Edwards, New Brunswick Chancellor

Richard Edwards, New Brunswick Chancellor, presented an administrative report, which included comments on the following:

Edwards then responded to questions, or heard comments, on the above and a variety of other subjects, including:

6. Report on the State of Undergraduate Admissions in New Brunswick - Courtney McAnuff, Vice President for Enrollment Management

Courtney McAnuff, Vice President for Enrollment Management, spoke about the state of undergraduate admissions in New Brunswick. He commented on topics that included:

McAnuff then responded to questions, or heard comments, on the above and a variety of other subjects, including:

7. Report on the New Brunswick Honors College - Matt Matsuda, Honors College Academic Dean, and Paul Gilmore, Honors College Administrative Dean

New Brunswick Honors College Academic Dean Matt Matsuda, and Administrative Dean Paul Gilmore spoke about the New Brunswick Honors College. They spoke about comments that included:

Matsuda and Gilmore then responded to questions, or heard comments, on the above and related subjects, including:

Cotter commented on the process utilized to reach this point in Honors College planning, stating that this is the NBFC's opportunity to have input.


Newark Faculty Council Report

The Newark Faculty Council met on November 24, 2014, and February 9, 2015. Minutes for the meetings are not yet available. The major topics of discussion were campus security and implementation of the Rutgers, Newark strategic visioning process (http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/strategic-planning).

At the February 9 meeting, the Provost discussed the current review process for campus security measures, particularly given the incident in Dana Library on February 5. Consuella Askew attended the meeting to talk about new security measures in the library. Students are now required to show their Rutgers ID to enter the library. Visitors must show a government ID with a photo and sign in at the security desk. Plans are underway to implement new technology that will allow students to swipe their IDs at entrance gates and enter the building. All visitors will have to report to a security desk, present ID, and receive a guest badge.

The council continued to discuss implementation of the strategic visioning process. Bonnie Veysey, Vice Chancellor for Planning and Implementation attended the meeting to discuss the implementation status. Study groups are currently convening to set priorities for specific pieces of the visioning process: the new professoriate, staffing for the new mission, the anchor institution, and leveraging diversity. Dr. Veysey also talked about the Chancellor's seed grants, designed to address specific priorities in the visioning process. Deadline for the first round of seed grants was February 27, 2015.

Submitted by Keir Reavie


Dear Colleagues,

The Personnel Policy & Affirmative Action Committee (PPAAC) has developed new Guidelines for the Evaluation of Service and revised the Guidelines for the Evaluation of Librarianship, at the request of the Planning & Coordinating Committee. Mary Beth Weber joined the Committee as an ad hoc member to assist with the Guidelines. They will be presented for approval at the March faculty meeting.

Submitted by,

Melissa De Fino
Special Collections Cataloging and Acquisitions Librarian
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
47 Davidson Road
Piscataway, N.J. 08854
(848) 445-5881


The Rules of Procedure Committee worked on preparing the online Library Faculty Elections for the academic year 2015- 2016. These activities include: reviewing, updating, and posting the forms; and seeking and verifying nominations.

The Committee has also responded to requests for information about procedures as stipulated in the Library faculty Bylaws.

Stephanie Bartz
Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic
Co-chairs, Rules of Procedure


Rutgers University Libraries Faculty
University Senate Report
March 5, 2015

The University Senate met four times since the last Libraries' faculty meeting. Below are highlights from those meetings. All Senate meetings include reports from Senate representatives to the Boards of Governors and Trustees, and from campus faculty and student liaisons in Camden, Newark, New Brunswick, and RBHS. For detailed minutes, please see: http://senate.rutgers.edu/Minutes.shtml

November 14, 2014

One of the Senate communications announced at this meeting was the Open Access Policy now in the University's Policy Library at http://policies.rutgers.edu/50317-currentpdf.

Dr. Barchi, in written communications to the Senate, responded positively to 1) proposed Senate Procedures for Selecting Commencement Speakers and Honorary Degree Recipients and 2) recommendations concerning Balance of Full-time and Part- time Faculty Teaching, allowing these initiatives to move forward. Jane Otto, chair of the Research, and Graduate and Professional Education Committee (RGPEC) delivered an interim report on Charge S-1207 on Support for International Students; see http://senate.rutgers.edu/RGPECOnS1207SupportForInternational%20StudentsInterimNovember2014.pdf

Camden Chancellor Phoebe Haddon presented a Camden Campus Report, focusing primarily on plans for the next 100 days of her chancellorship, and on the Camden Strategic Plan. She also commented "The Schools of Law in Camden and Newark will continue to take concrete steps to integrate their programs."

Senior Vice President for Finance Michael Gower read to the Senate an administrative report prepared by President Barchi, which included comments on topics including: that day's funeral of Clem Price, which Barchi was attending in Newark, and a moment of silence in Dr. Price's memory; Lei Lei being named dean of the Rutgers Business School; fundraising, which is very near the $1 billion goal; strategic plans; increases in applications for admission; progress on the physical master plan; movement of offices now located in ten inefficient Rutgers New Brunswick buildings to a newly acquired facility at 33 Knightsbridge Road in Piscataway; a sexual assault and violence prevention survey; and updates on capital programs.

Gower then summarized a presentation on responsibility center management, and took questions.

December 5, 2014

Student Affairs Committee (SAC) Co-chairs Robert Barraco and Samuel Rabinowitz presented the SAC's Response to Charge S- 1311 on the Process of Changing Rutgers Cultural and Traditional Icons (http://senate.rutgers.edu/SACOnS1311ProcessForChangingCulturalIconsDecember2014.pdf), which was adopted unanimously by the Senate. SAC recommended:

1. The process by which cultural and traditional icons of Rutgers University are to be modified must be the purview of the Rutgers University Senate. The impetus for such a charge may come from any one of the caucuses or committees of the Senate or from the President, as has been the history here at Rutgers.

2. A study should be undertaken regarding the 2013 revision of the Alma Mater to evaluate satisfaction with the lyrics within the Rutgers community and if any further action needs to be taken This should be performed by the Student Affairs Committee of the Rutgers University Senate.

Senate Executive Committee Vice Chair Martha Cotter presented the Executive Committee's Resolution Endorsing the AAUP Centennial Declaration. The Resolution as amended and adopted is here: http://senate.rutgers.edu/ECResolutionEndorsingAAUPCentennialDeclarationAsAdoptedDecember2014.pdf.

Faculty Senator and Executive Committee Member Robert Boikess, on behalf of the Faculty Caucus, presented a Proposed Resolution on Salary and Tuition, which had been adopted by the New Brunswick Faculty Council, and docketed for Senate consideration by the Senate Executive Committee. The Senate adopted the resolution.

President Barchi presented a brief administrative report, commenting on topics including: applications and enrollment; reaching Rutgers' $1 billion fundraising campaign goal the previous month; open forums on the Physical Master Plan, which will go to the Board of Trustees the following month, and will come to the Senate, and subsequently to the Board of Governors before becoming public; administrative searches and appointments; Rutgers' upcoming 250th anniversary; an update on the Honors College; and student and faculty awards and honors.

January 23, 2015

Dr. Barchi, in written communication to the Senate, accepted in full recommendations on Tuition Remission for Part-Time Faculty.

New Brunswick Chancellor Richard Edwards presented a New Brunswick Campus Report, which included comments on: milestones; recognition for Rutgers-New Brunswick; faculty awards; student fellowships and scholarships; student enrollment; new academic programs; new initiatives, including the New Brunswick Honors College, the Institute for Emergency Preparedness and Homeland Security, and the Institute of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences; capital projects and the Physical Master Plan; the New Brunswick Strategic Plan; support for students; and leadership searches.

Vice President for University Facilities and Capital Planning Tony Calcado presented a summary of the Draft New Brunswick Physical Master Plan.

February 20, 2015

University Structure and Governance Committee (USGC) co-chairs Jon Oliver and Robert Puhak presented an informational report on Senate election procedures (http://senate.rutgers.edu/USGConS1309SenateElectionProceduresFebruary2015.pdf). The report concluded that Single Transferable Voting (STV) is not viable or desirable as a mechanism in the internal Senate leadership elections because of the potential problems and complexity it brings to the election process. USGC endorsed the current process for electing the chair and vice chair.

The Faculty and Personnel Affairs Committee (FPAC) presented its report on the University's Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement (TABER). Improvements to the TABER are expected to be forthcoming; for details, see: http://senate.rutgers.edu/FPAConS1313TABERFebruary2015.pdf.

Newark Chancellor Nancy Cantor delivered the Newark Campus report and University President Robert Barchi presented his administrative report; details forthcoming at http://senate.rutgers.edu/Minutes.shtml.

Respectfully submitted by Jane Otto.
University Senators representing the Libraries are Natalie Borisovets and Jane Otto.


The Scholarly and Professional Activity Committee has hosted four Brown Bag events to date. One event, scheduled for January 2015, was cancelled due to weather related campus closings.

Leslin Charles
Chair, SAPAC


Colleagues,

Since the last RUL faculty meeting in October, 2014, the Committee on Scholarly Communication has:

Respectfully submitted,
Laura Bowering Mullen, Chair of CSC


The Camden Faculty Council meets monthly during the school year and has representation from all schools and colleges on campus as well as a library representative and part-time faculty representatives. In recent months the Council has passed a resolution honoring Marianne Gaunt, considered issues such as block scheduling, the veteran student experience, and provided advice to campus administration.

Julie Still
Library Representative



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/rul_faculty/minutes/rulfac_15-03-06.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries