STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes for June 5, 2015 Meeting

Present:
Grace Agnew, Consuella Askew, Stephanie Bartz, Ron Becker, Natalie Borisovets, Jeanne Boyle (Interim University Librarian), Leslin Charles, Judy Cohn, Melissa De Fino, Kayo Denda, Bonnie Fong, Tom Frusciano, Rebecca Gardner, Melissa Gasparotto, Francesca Giannetti, Tom Glynn, Pam Hargwood, Karen Hartman, Ron Jantz, Manuel Jusino, Melissa Just, Triveni Kuchi (Faculty Coordinator), Yu Hung Lin, Mei Ling Lo, Megan Lotts (Faculty Secretary), Christine Lutz,Tara Maharjan, Jackie Mardikian, Rhonda Marker, Laura Palumbo, Vincent Pelote, Fernanda Perrone, Keir Reavie, Jonathan Sauceda, Elizabeth Sosnowska, Li Sun, Elizabeth Surles, Minglu Wang, Ann Watkins, Mary Beth Weber, Zara Wilkinson, Tao Yang, and Yingting Zhang.

8:45 to 9:15 a.m. - Coffee and Networking

Meeting was called to order at 9:15 a.m.

1. Adoption of the Agenda

A motion was made and the agenda was adopted.

2. Introduction of New Faculty and Guests- Tara Maharjan from Special Collections & University

Archives was introduced. Please note Vincent Pelote now director of operations of the Jazz Institute.

Zach Johnson has joined Special Collections as an NTT archivist for the Lautenberg collection.

3. Approval of the Minutes

Minutes from the spring faculty meeting were approved.

4. Old Business

  1. Faculty visibility update - Karen Hartman, Triveni Kuchi, and Zara Wilkinson worked with IIS to create the "Find a Librarian" link to place under find popular resources on the library webpage. With the help of Yuhwei Ling and Michele Petosa, some errors were corrected and updated on the directory. There is still some work to accomplish on the find a librarian page. The subgroup is currently working on a specialization page to be looked at from a user perspective, and will contact the representative AUL's and HR for their review. Please send comments & questions to the team.

5. New Business

  1. RUL Learning Assessment - Last October, Melissa Just and Leslin Charles gave a talk about assessment on campus and how the Libraries participate. Currently RUL is preparing an assessment report that is submitted to the executive council by all the academic units on campus. In October the Libraries heard that we lack a comprehensive plan for assessment, direct measures, closing the loop, and we need to be more inclusive and representative of a multi-campus system. Since this news Leslin Charles has done teach meets, and there was a SAPAC presentation on how the Byrne seminars by librarians were assessed. The report is due at the end of the month and we need to provide: update learning goals (standards to framework) talk about assessment plan, structure and process, different assessment tools and measures, benchmarks & standards, assessment implementation and result, closing the loop activities. Melissa Just would like to hear about the assessment being done in our classrooms. She will send another email out today and please send feedback about the classes you teach, how are you measuring your teaching, and how you are closing the loop. Please let them know any questions about how to report and how to incorporate assessment.
  2. Status of RUL Faculty open lines - Currently RUL has roughly a dozen faculty on hold because we are waiting on the budget. Some of them cannot be filled because people are still on the lines. Jeanne will send a list of these lines to the RUL faculty list. There has been discussions in Plan Co about these lines and reports created to help prioritize the faculty needs. There was a question if these lines would remain where they lie, and it was noted we are a system and these lines may need to be shared. Please send any questions to Jeanne Boyle or Lila Fredenburg.

6. Report of the Interim Vice President for Information Services and University Librarian

  1. On July 15th, 2015 Dr. Krisellen Maloney will begin her role as the new Vice President for Information Services and University Librarian. Kris was an outstanding candidate, and we are fortunate that she has agreed to come to Rutgers. Many thanks to everyone involved in the search process.
  2. Jeanne Boyle attended the CIC libraries directors meeting at the University of Maryland. Membership cost will be going up $50,000 more a year, and our current fee is $250,000. There was discussion about the shared print repository at the University of Indiana. There is an Open textbook initiative happening, led by the University of Minnesota. Currently 6 schools are on board, and RU is not one of them. The next meeting will be in November. Updates on Uborrow: since joining the CIC there have been 103,000 loan requests and 92% filled. It works, it's working well, and working fast. We pay $4800 to be a part of Uborrow.
  3. Jeanne Boyle attended the ARL members meeting and noted that many of our peers have money and are using it in exciting ways. ARL is going through strategic planning and has a design transition team that presented a report at a meeting that Boyle and Melissa Just attended.
  4. RUL does not have a budget yet, but we are hoping that we will hear more soon. It is likely there will be a tuition increase, and this will help the schools. During a recent meeting with Chancellor Edwards, Melissa Just was able to speak about ILL not being a band aid and fix to our collections issues.
  5. As many of you have heard there will be a new shared governance model on the campuses and Barbara Lee, as the senior VP for academic affairs, has convened a group to discuss what is local and what is central. The campus library directors were present for this rich conversation. Lee has some ideas of how shared governance might work for RUL, and we hope to hear more about this soon.

7. Report of the Faculty Coordinator

PlanCo has undertaken several projects this year. One of its main goals was the core competencies project. The core competencies framework draft was shared on March 6th Faculty Meeting and an updated version at the May 27th PlanCo meeting by the subgroup- Francesca Giannetti, Judy Cohn, Adriana Cuervo, Yu-hung Lin, and Minglu Wang. Many thanks to this subgroup for their excellent work on this comprehensive report. This document will have a time/date stamp of June 30 2015, but will remain dynamic as a Google document for adding further updates as necessary by PlanCo in the future years. At the outset, it was emphasized that the core competencies document "is not intended for use in annual reviews, tenure or promotion decisions." The purpose of this work is "to serve as guideposts for professional development for RUL faculty. They are intended to help librarians identify new roles and opportunities to extend their existing portfolios. A secondary goal of this report is to serve as a reference for library faculty job descriptions." PlanCo agreed that the next steps for this report will be prioritized and implemented by a team of Faculty coordinator, SAPAC chair, representatives from LRC and USC and PDCEC faculty chair. This item will be discussed at Cabinet, and the June PlanCo meeting. PlanCo has also been working on the issues of faculty visibility, faculty ballot issues, and committee structures. Discussion on these topics will most likely continue on to next year. Thanks to outgoing Faculty secretary Megan Lotts for the minutes for both PlanCo and Faculty meetings. The incoming faculty secretary is Leslin Charles. Tom Glynn is your incoming Faculty Coordinator, and Deputy Faculty Coordinator is Natalie Borisovets.

8. Communications

None.

9. Reports of Members Serving on University Bodies

10. Reports of Standing Committees

11. Adjourn Business Meeting at 10:19am.

Following the meeting from, 11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. there was a presentation on an improved and customized user experience for resource discovery, the RU Libraries VuFind implementation - Presenters: Gracemary Smulewitz, Christopher Sterback and Stephanie Bartz


APPENDIX

Faculty Committee Reports June 2015

(in order of submission to RULeveryone listserv)

Newark Faculty Council Report

The Newark Faculty Council met on March 9, and April 13, 2015. The May meeting was cancelled. Minutes for the meetings are not yet available.

The March meeting featured an overview of the current Rutgers University, Newark budget, and the restructured Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Office at Newark.

The New Professoriate Working Groups discussed their work at the April meeting. The working group was formed as part of the Rutgers University, Newark strategic plan. The group is examining five areas in a professor's life:

  1. Supporting and evaluating publicly engaged scholarship
  2. Innovations in promotion and tenure criteria
  3. Building institutional resources for the new professoriate
  4. Non-tenure track faculty and part-time lecturers
  5. Graduate and post-graduate training

Submitted by Keir Reavie


Report of Rules of Procedure Committee
Academic Year 2015-2016
Spring Semester

The Rules of Procedure Committee engaged in the following activities:

Submitted by Rules of Procedures Committee
June 1, 2015
Stephanie Bartz (Co-Chair)
Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic (Co-Chair)
Melissa De Fino
Mei Ling Lo
Zara Wilkinson


Major activities of the User Services Council since the March 2015 RUL faculty meeting:


Library Resources Council Report
Academic Year 2014-15

During the past year, LRC accomplished the following:


Dear colleagues,

The HathiTrust Public Services Task Force recently submitted an investigation report to the User Services Council. The report fulfills a main charge of the Task Force. Thanks to Sam McDonald, the report is now posted on the staff page: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/hathi_trust/reports.shtml

Let me know if you have any question or comment about the report. The Task Force is expected to wrap up most activities in a month. Thanks!

Tao Yang
Chair, HathiTrust Public Services Task Force


The New Brunswick Faculty Council met twice since the last RUL meeting.

On April 3, the Council endorsed the final report and recommendation of the Curriculum, Teaching and Honors Committee regarding the New Brunswick Honors College, passed a resolution on academic integrity in online courses and a resolution on shared governance, and heard a presentation on SOAR. Chancellor Edwards gave an administrative report, including comments on the law schools merger approval, the potential for some undergraduate pre-law courses in New Brunswick, and class attendance and Title VII compliance requirements. Minutes may be found here: http://nbfc.rutgers.edu/year14_15/Minutes040315.html

On April 24, the Council approved changes to the NBFC bylaws and elected a vice chair and 5 members of the executive committee for 2015-2016. There was no administrative report.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Gasparotto and Li Sun


The Camden Faculty Council has been meeting monthly. Important topics the past few meetings have been block scheduling, veterans on campus, online classes, the denial of service attack, and the possibility of new buildings on campus.

Julie Still
Library representative
Camden Faculty Council

Paul Robeson Library


Colleagues,

The Committee on Scholarly Communication (CSC) has had two monthly meetings since the last RUL faculty meeting. Topics of discussion and decision-making have included:

CSC is happy to consider any agenda items for its regular meetings.

Respectfully submitted,
Laura Mullen, CSC Chair


Rutgers University Libraries Faculty
University Senate Report

The University Senate has met twice since the last Library Faculty meeting, on March 27th and May 1st.

March 27th

One Bylaws change, introduced by the Executive Committee, was approved. The change stipulates that Senators may not accept nomination, nor be placed on the initial ballot, for more than one position in any single election for Senate leadership, Executive Committee members, or board representatives. The full report is available at: http://senate.rutgers.edu/EConRescindingVotingBylawChangeForVoteMarch2015.pdf

A report, introduced by the Executive Committee, approving the merger of the Rutgers School of Law-Newark and the Rutgers School of Las-Camden, was approved. The full report is available at: http://senate.rutgers.edu/ECResolutionEndorsingLawSchoolsMergerMarch2015.pdf

A report, introduced by the Student Affairs Committee, on the cost of textbooks, was approved. The approved recommendation read: "The University Senate endorses the proposal to establish institutionalized use of open textbooks by creating a competitive grant program to award faculty to help convert their class to an open textbook. The University Senate calls on the administration and academic deans to fund these programs by making available twelve $1,000 grants per year to eligible faculty persons, to subsidize time spent finding the appropriate open textbook and all supplementary materials required to teach the course." The full report is available at: http://senate.rutgers.edu/SAConS1402CostOfTextbooksAsAdoptedMarch2015.pdf

A report, introduced by the Budget and Finance Committee, on Athletic Program Deficits, was approved. The full report is available at: http://senate.rutgers.edu/BFConS1408AthleticsProgramDeficitsMarch2015.pdf

May 1st

The first meeting on May 1st was the organizational meeting of the 2015-2016 Senate. The following were elected to the Senate Executive Committee:

Ann Gould, Chairperson 			SEBS, Faculty
Peter Gillett, Vice Chairperson 	RBS:UNB, Faculty
Robert Barraco 				Alumni Association
Natalie Borisovets 			Libraries, Faculty
Martha Cotter 				At-Large NB, Faculty
Edmund Janniger 			SPAA, Student
Jerome Langer 				RWJMS, Faculty
Deelip Mhaske 				SHRP, Student
Jon Oliver 				NB Staff
Jane Otto 				Libraries, Faculty
Robert Puhak 				FAS-N, Faculty
Justin Schulberg 			SAS-NB, Student
Brandon Theiss 				Law-C, Student
Karen Thompson 				PTL-NB, Faculty
Yuchung Wang				GS-C, Faculty

The 2nd meeting on May 1st was the final meeting of the 2014-2015 Senate.

The Research, and Graduate and Professional Education Committee (RGPEC), chaired by Jane Otto, completed its charge to investigate and make recommendations with regard to core university support for international students and postdocs, and submitted its report with recommendations to the University administration; please see http://senate.rutgers.edu/RGPEConS1207SupportForInternationalStudentsMay2015.pdf

The Faculty and Personnel Committee, presented its report on Balance of Full-time and Part-time Faculty Teaching. Full report is available at: http://senate.rutgers.edu/FPAConS1406BalanceOfFTPTFacultyTeachingApril2015.pdf

The Academic Standards, Regulations, and Admissions Committee, presented its report on Removing Barriers to the Education of Veterans. The full report is available at: http://senate.rutgers.edu/ASRAConS1406RemovingBarriersToVeteransEducationApril2015.pdf


At their March 6th meeting, the Senate Executive Committee charged the Research, and Graduate and Professional Education Committee (RGPEC) was charged by the Senate Executive Committee to "Investigate and make recommendations with regard to an implementation of ORCID identifiers (i.e. issuing ORCID iDs) at Rutgers. If deemed appropriate, make specific recommendations for incremental implementation, for example, beginning with the graduate school(s). Identify benefits, processes, timeline, who would be involved, and approximate costs. Respond to Senate Executive Committee by December 2015."

Respectively submitted,
Natalie Borisovets
Jane Otto



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/rul_faculty/minutes/rulfac_15-06-05.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries