Minutes of April 19, 2005 meeting
- Rose Barbalace, Susan Brower, Asuncion DeChavez, Jazmine Faherty, Barry Lipinski, Jill Morrow, Ramon Negron, Fred Onorato, Roselyn Riley(recorder), Michele Tokar, Penny Weniger
- Judy Gardner
- Brian Stubbs
- Top Off 3 Emergency Exercise - J. Morrow
- Current Projects Update
- Table Tents
- Incident Report Revision
- Floor Plans Sub-group
- Group Review and Discussion Topic
- Summer Training Initiatives
- Information Sharing
- Unit Security & Maintenance Updates
- Marc has finished the online revisions and picture retouches to the Exit Gate Procedure Manual that Ramon and Rose created. The group agreed that it looks good and is ready to upload to the site with a few edits suggested. Rose with input from Ramon will forward the edits to Marc for updating. A new link will be added to the group's page.
- Jill Morrow was a volunteer for the Top Off 3 Emergency preparedness drill held at the RAC on Livingston Campus. Jill reported to the group her experiences as a "victim" of a bio-terrorist threat (the plague) during the exercise.
Current Projects Update
- The group thanked Fred for his work on this project.
- Roselyn made some suggestions for additional clipart.
- The question was posed: Since Kilmer allows drinks in their library - do we create a different version for them?
- Rose recommended that the height of the tents might be too obtrusive. She suggested the tent be cut in half. She also thought the wording should be changed to say "Take your belongings with you" or "don't leave belongings unattended" instead of "watch your belongings". The group agreed to the modifications.
- Fred will work on the revisions and share them at the next meeting.
Incident Report Revisions
- Penny has added a section to the incident report for RUPD officer's name and report number. She also revised the instructions for filling out the reports and requested group approval of the revisions. The group agreed to the revisions. After final approval from Judy and Roger, the various T drives will be updated and will send out an NB_Access list_serv notification.
- The group continued to discuss the benefits and negatives of adding patrons' names to the incident reports. The group maintained that it should be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Floor Plan Sub-Group
- Penny reported to the group about the sub-group's first meeting. She explained that the floor plan project has a large scope and will take time to complete.
- With the help of Systems, was able to get into the ARC View program created by Scott Hines. However, there have been many changes in the interim and it may no longer be accurate, and therefore not helpful to the project.
- Also reviewed was the university's Space Management database. The design of their floor plans may be helpful to the project, but there was little information of use for the sub-group's purposes.
- Eddie Suarez and Rose will be creating the electronic floor plans for the RUL website.
Group Review & Discussion Topics
Summer Training Initiatives
The group shared ideas on summer training.
- Michelle - A theatrical skit on exit gate procedures
- Rose - Train students and staff on emergency procedures, as well as exit gate procedures.
- Some staff could enroll in the Heart Saver CPR training that the university offers.
- Penny - Ergonomics workshop given by REHs
- Web/html/Netscape composer training to learn how to convert minutes into HTML for the website. Rose added that this training would be good for all staff that work with WebCT and suggested the Student FG and SFFG work together on a planning a workshop.
- Site tours of all the units to see their security and maintenance concerns
Douglass: Had an incident on 4/18 - A regularly disruptive group became louder and more belligerent than
usual. One patron in the group would not comply with Ramon's request for quieter conduct. The police were
called and the patron ended up being removed from the building. RUPD asked Ramon for a statement and his
social security number. The fact that a SS# was asked for during the interview was confusing to Ramon. Penny
will speak community officer Pitt about why RUPD would request that sort of information.
- Construction is complete in the East Asian Library.
- he building had a fire/emergency evacuation procedures drill.
- Targum bin disappeared from the front of the building. The Targum office was not aware of any scheduled removal of the bins. The police were notified. Lt. O'Neal later advised Barry that it was the vendor who removed the bins.
- Ongoing plumbing problems with 2nd floor men's room.
- Air conditioning is currently being worked on.
Math: The building's fire alarm went off Thursday; someone pulled it. RUFD never indicated whether the
building was safe to re-enter. Fred eventually let the patrons back into the building, and called the
dispatcher for details and status of the building. Penny suggested we write a letter asking RUFD about their
procedures in these situations and request that in the future they let a staff member know when the premises
are safe to re-enter.
Annex: Emergency services came last week to test their alarms.
- Water main break in the area caused some problems in the building. Constant flushing of toilets and unsafe water. The library was not officially notified about the water conditions and learned about the "water alert" from student staff.
- Lights went out for 2 hours and then were repaired.
- Their Targum bins were removed. (See Kilmer).
- Follow-up on the building code citation that LSM received from the Fire Marshall: LSM will have sprinklers installed in the basement and in the government documents section from the end of May through July.
ART: Art showing last week. A small drip on the main leak caused by condensation on the pipes. It is being
Penny: Will request fire drills for all units.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, May 17th at Kilmer Library, 3-4:30PM.