Minutes of June 21, 2005 meeting
- Susan Brower (recorder), Asuncion DeChavez, Jazmine Faherty, Barry Lipinski, Jill Morrow, Fred Onorato, Brian Stubbs, Penny Weniger (Chair)
- Ramon Negron, Roselyn Riley, Michele Tokar
- Current Projects Update
- Floor Plans Sub-group
- Summer Training Planning
- Annual Report
- Ergonomics Workshop
- Group Discussion Topic
- Annual Report
- Future Goals
- Information Sharing
- Unit Security & Maintenance Updates
- As the Administrative Team rotates membership each fiscal year, this will be Jill's last meeting. Kelly Worth from Douglass Library is her replacement. Penny thanked Jill for her contributions to the group.
- Rose Barbalace is no longer a member of the group due to other commitments. She was praised for her lengthy and able service to the group and will be missed. Brian Stubbs remains as Alexander's representative with Rose as his back-up.
- Penny requested exit gate statistics from the units for the past year be reported to her for inclusion in the annual report. Jazmine reported the Annex has no desensitizer sometimes causing the alarm to go off when patrons enter/exit other units with Annex books.
- Power failure 5/18/2005
- Two stalking incidents
- Pipe alley exit door went off for unknown reason
- A major flood occurred in Special Collections caused by the activation of the sprinkler system. Tools being used by workmen installing the new HVAC system generated excessive heat. Response to the emergency by the library community was appreciated. No incident report has yet been filed.
- Non-toxic chemical leak in the UMDNJ tunnel
- Power failure 5/18/2005
- Wallet reported missing from an unattended book bag
- Humidity problems. Facilities will be checking weekly to ensure conditions are ok.
CURRENT PROJECTS UPDATE
- Floor plan sub group met and is taking the digital directory path. The sub-group will change the name to RUL Digital Directory Sub-group. Flash drive software has been requested. Staff will need training to update the directory as future changes occur. A prototype of the hardcopy hand-out was distributed for group review. It is a work intensive project that will take time to complete, but progress is being made with a hoped for project completion by the end of the upcoming fiscal year.
- Penny spoke with the REHS department and they are very willing to present an Ergonomics Workshop in the Pane Room at Alexander Library. It has been tentatively scheduled for the last week in July.
- Brian presented the draft he composed for the bag check skit. It illustrates situations that arise when the exit alarm sounds and suggests how-to handle interactions between patrons and staff at guard desks or Circ desks (for units without guard desks). Group will continue to work on the skit with the goal of presenting it to staff and student workers in the early part of the Fall 2005 semester.
- Penny handed out our meeting schedule through November 2005. The rooms are booked but are subject to change due to the Route 18 construction project.
Group Discussion Topic
- Reviewed the past goals of 2004 Annual Report to determine if goals were achieved
- Standardized floors plan is ongoing
- NBL links are completed
- Security guards are in place at closing. Additional communications will be sent to verify consistency
- RUPD gave Security presentations at Douglass, Alex, LSM and Kilmer
- Conveying library policy via public computers screensavers is ongoing.
- 2005 accomplishments
- Table tents were completed and distributed to libraries
- Rose and Ramon completed the guard procedures web tutorial
- Incident report forms were updated and RUPD information was added
- Wrote to RUPD about security concerns in the libraries
- Personal security work shop given to student workers
- Revised purpose statement
- Changed the name of the group
- Future Goals
- Complete ongoing goals
- Better communications with Facilities to be advised of the status of maintenance requests and receive notification when a problem has been fixed.
- Work with RUFD to have at least one fire drill per year in each unit
- Continue hosting personal security work shops for student workers and present each semester
Summary: Penny will complete a draft of accomplishments and circulate it to the group. Please forward and
thoughts and suggestions for future goals, accomplishments, etc. to Penny.
Unit Security & Maintenance Updates
Kilmer: There is an ongoing problem with an overflowing toilet in the 2nd floor men's restroom. Facilities is
investigating to determine if it is mechanical or vandalism; a modular classroom is being constructed near
the library. Modular classrooms are being constructed in many campus locations with the goal to lessen
intercampus travel during the Route 18 construction.
LSM: Upholstery of chairs has been completed; new carpet has been installed; furniture has been rearranged on
the third floor; Sprinkler system installation is ongoing
Annex: Frequently of late, staff can't find spaces in the Annex parking lot. The lot is listed as a common
lot on Parking's website and paper maps, the actual lot sign there indicates it is for Library Use Only.
Alexander: While the new HVAC system is being installed small leaks are anticipated on the 3rd floor. The
collection has been covered with plastic for protection.
Douglass: Due to the recent incident of theft, RUPD became aware that Douglass lacked a security camera.
Kelly Worth worked with RUPD and a camera is now in place.
Next meeting: July 19, 2005, Alexander Library Hughes Room, 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.