Minutes of January 24, 2006 meeting
- Susan Brower(recorder), Asuncion DeChavez, Jazmine Faherty, Barry Lipinski, Ramon Negron, Fred Onorato, Brian Stubbs, Michele Tokar, Ann Watkins, Penny Weniger
- Roselyn Riley, Kelly Worth, Theresa Macklin
- Incident reports review
- Current Project Update - Review previous draft of covered drinks proposal
- Future Project for discussion - Disabilities equipment “cheat sheet” for jaws, kurzweil and cctv video magnifier.
- Information Sharing - Unit Security and Maintenance Updates
- Bag checking has ceased at all libraries. Only if the alarm sounds will bags be checked. The desks are now called welcome desks and the focus will be more directional information to assist the patron. Meeting w/Rose Barbalace to review guard/welcome desk manuals for revision to reflect more information regarding how-to when providing directional information. The group briefly discussed the issue of ensuring the collections are tattletaped and agreed that this would be a major project. A few ideas on how to execute such a project were discussed, but realistic methods were not discovered. Susan and Azon stated that all newly processed materials are all tattletaped narrowing the potential of un-tattletaped materials being older items. Penny will discuss the issue with the Collection Management Functional Group for their input.
- Another PC security alert re: bogus e-mail messages from RUFCU. Ignore and delete. Rutgers Credit Union has stated that they will personally call members when information is needed. Due to PC password security concerns, Anne Butman has advised placing all password information (Novell and Workflows) in secure places and not displayed on or near related PCs.
- A meeting is scheduled for this Thursday w/RUPD to discuss and schedule each Library to be audited for security. If you can think of any security concerns your unit may want addressed, please let Penny know in order to pass the information on to RUPD.
INCIDENT REPORTS REVIEW
- A psychologically troubled patron remained in a stall in the Men's room next to the Atrium for
most of the day and was taken to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital by the EMT.
- A librarian upon
entering his assigned study room on the fourth floor discovered a custodian using his laptop.
ceiling light fell on a patron. No injury was reported.
- Three new roof leaks were reported. Dean Meister is monitoring the leaks.
- Unattended textbook was stolen
- Wind storm blew out three windows allowing the elements in. Area closed and PC equipment moved.
- Two book theft attempts were thwarted when the Welcome Desk alarm went off.
- The alarm went off when staff was entering the Media Center.
- Front doors were found unlocked twice when staff arrived to open the building.
CURRENT PROJECT UPDATE
The group was charged with reviewing the previous DRAFT of covered drinks proposal. Penny will
work on a formal proposal and send the draft to group for edits/comments, etc. After incorporation,
the proposal will be sent to Judy and Roger for their review and consideration.
FUTURE PROJECT FOR DISCUSSION
Disabilities equipment “cheat sheet”
The group has been asked by the Disabilities Committee to create a cheat sheet that will assist
staff when helping patrons use various library disability equipment. Instructions for using JAWS and
Kurzweil equipments were distributed. We should familiarize ourselves with the equipment using the
instructions and report our findings at our next meeting. If necessary, we can request training on
the equipment. The intention is that our group create a guide for staff. Upon further discussion the
group decided that perhaps an informational binder or folder containing pertinent instructions, not
only on how the equipment is used, but also, any other related information, such as campus contacts
for disabled users, etc.
- Unit Security & Maintenance Updates
- Alex : Work is continuing on the HVAC system resulting
in hot conditions on the first floor
- Dana: There are ongoing behavior problems at the public
workstations. In order to improve the various issues with disorderly conduct new policies have been
drafted are being tried out. Patrons must sign in and present a valid id before using the stations.
Time limits have been instituted.
- Douglass: The position vacated by Matt Spaventa has been
posted. Two new Nite Owl employees who will close the building are being trained in security
procedures. A voucher employee has been hired for fifteen hours a week whose lone responsibility
will be shifting the collection. The goal is to complete the shift by the end of Spring break.
Kilmer: Business Counter material has been moved to the "Reference" creating more room to for
studying. Carpeting is going to be installed.
- LSM: Serials inventory project is ongoing.
Weeding project is ongoing and flowing well. A quiet study room has been designated behind the
reference desk in the map area. All chairs are going to be reupholstered. We will begin to work with
Better World Books, a company that accepts discarded books, sells them and donates part of their
proceeds to non-profit literacy partners.
- Try the disability equipment
- Reply to Penny's food and drink proposal.
- Send to Penny before 2/2 any security concerns to be addressed in the security audits
Next meeting: February 21, 2006, 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm, TSB Conference Room
Dana Electronic Classroom – Lower Level
Robeson Conference Room