STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of April 1, 2003 meeting

Present:
Rose Barbalace(recorder), Priscilla Lee, Stacey DeMatteo, Ana Ramirez Luhrs, Marc Forster, Georgina Alonzo, Kristin Ko
Absent:
Megan Doyle , Megan Ingegno, Dean Meister Andy Martinez

Agenda

  1. Student Employees’ Guide
  2. Budget and expenditure reports for voucher workers
  3. Student Employee Policy
  4. Felexibility During Exam Time
  5. Revised student employee agreement
  6. Confidentiality of Records memo

1. Student Employees’ Guide

Rose revised the student employees’ guide, taking into account suggestions made by the group. Further suggestions were made at the meeting:

Marc suggested that a section of the guide be devoted to informing the students about Diversity at RUL. A small section with statistics (i.e. exit stats, RDS) should also be included along with personal quotes from different student staff members about their experience in working in the library.

The call number training should be separate from the orientation guide.

Create a glossary of terms that will be helpful for students to understand their work. Stacey will work on putting this together.

Include a small section on Access Services and students’ duties in the department.

2. Budget and expenditure reports for voucher workers

Current reports have not been received by group members. Rose will speak to Arlene Minch again, once she returns from vacation. In the mean time, the reports are being worked on by administration staff.

3. Student Employee Policy

Rose created a memo re-stating policy and stapled it to student paychecks. To verify that they read and understood policy, the students were asked to sign and return a detachable portion to Rose. She suggested that this is a good tactic to use in order to re-emphasize policy and curtail inappropriate behavior. A sample of the memo was shared with the group.

4. Felexibility During Exam Time

Exam time and the need to be flexible with students’ schedules were discussed. Staff should be aware of the possibility that there may not be student coverage at times.

5. Revised student employee agreement

Marc revised the design of the Student Employee Agreement Statement. Some group members felt that it was too “busy” and suggested that the design be changed a bit.

The group will agree on a design for the entire student guide on a later date. Marc will create a new document with a different footer and bring a sample to the next meeting.

6. Confidentiality of Records memo

Ana brought in a draft of the Confidentiality of Records memo to students. It was suggested that specific instructions be included for students in branch libraries. Ana will distribute a revised draft of the memo at the next meeting.

Next Meeting - Wednesday, June 4th. Place and time to be determined.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/student_coord_group/minutes/student_coord_group_03_04_01.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)