Minutes of December 1, 2004 meeting
- Georgina Alonzo, Rose Barbalace(recorder), Jazmine Faherty, Marc Forster, Megan Ingegno, Priscilla Lee, Yuhwei Ling, Mike Mansouri, Natascha Owens, Chiaki Yamada
- Yuhwei Ling
- Kristen Ko, Melanie Robinson, Roger Smith, Penny Weniger
- WebCT Updates
- Payroll Sign-Off Reminders
- Job Descriptions and Voucher Pay Rate Standards
- Student Party
- Standardized Online Staff Directories
- Student Evaluations
- Next Meeting
- Rose would like to see every unit continue to update their current WebCT pages over break so all students will be able to start using WebCT regularly at the beginning of the Spring semester.
- Last month's WebCT workshop overall was good but seemed rushed in the beginning. For those who still need extra help in setting up WebCT or making changes in WebCT, they should contact Rose to set up one-on-one training.
Payroll Sign-Off Reminders
- Email reminders have been distributed to the payroll list-serv reminding all of us about proper breaks for type 5 employees and total hours worked for both type 4 and 5 employees.
- Rose stated that Stacey can no longer make these corrections to any of our time cards, and if they are submitted incorrectly, Stacey will need to make phone calls to supervisors to get the corrections done before she can complete payroll. This is very time consuming and at this time of year, with early cut offs and several payroll sign offs every week, it is imperative that each employee's punch is looked at very carefully.
- Rose reminded everyone to use the "Calculated Hours" option under "Time Card" when signing off. This window can be used to see the calculated hours of each punch, and you can easily see if anyone has worked more than 5 hours.
- If anyone has worked more than 5 hours, be sure to check the break is for a full 15 minutes. Students have punched out but for only 13 or 14 minutes and these times need to be corrected.
Job Descriptions and Voucher Pay Rate Standards
- Group discussed the need to have standardized job descriptions to aid in establishing starting pay rates for different jobs across NBL as well as establishing guidelines for voucher raises.
- Rose assigned job descriptions to group members to be reviewed at the January meeting.
- Collection Services - Natascha/Yuhwei
- Reserves - Georgina
- Guard Desk - Rose
- Extended Hours - Penny
- Branch Library w/Evening Staff - Melanie/Kristen
- Branch Library w/No Evening Staff - Megan
- Circulation - Priscilla
- RDS - Chiaki
- Collection Management - Rose will ask someone to assist in writing this from Alex
- Group discussed several options for having some type of student party in the spring.
- Overall, the consensus was to have each of the four larger units hold a student party in the same week relatively close together, for example over student appreciation week. Branch libraries close geographically to one of the larger units will invite their students to attend the larger party.
- It was also suggested that we invite other departments within the buildings that also have students to help share resources and responsibility for hosting the party.
- Each unit hosting a party should also advertise the party with formal invitations, emails, flyers, etc. to insure a better turnout.
Standardized Online Directory
- Rose has asked Marc to work on a prototype for a directory students can easily access at the service desks. The directory will include staff names and numbers as well as a brief job title/descriptions. The directory will also include commonly used phone numbers for other departments and emergency contacts.
- An example of the directory will be available for the January meeting.
- Since we are coming towards the end of the fall semesterk, it was suggested that those units who have had continued problems with any students should consider doing an evaluation with the student before they can continue work for the Spring Semester.
- Evaluation forms are available on the NBL site.
- Rose welcomed Chiaki Yamada to the SAFG. Chiaki recently took over responsibilities as Student Coordinator at Douglass Library.
- Georgina will work on a draft of Student Safety reminders and responsibilities from the Student Safety Workshop held at Douglass last month. Rose would like to place the safety reminders on the WebCT page. A draft should be available for the January meeting.
Wednesday, January 5th, 2:30pm