Minutes of September 9, 2004 meeting
- Rebecca Martinez [chair], Ian Bogus [recorder], Paul Cabelli, Sal Cardinale, Yuhwei Ling, Andy Martinez, Melody Tomaszewicz, Andrew Ruggiero [guest]
- Gracemary Smulewitz
- Time off
- Use of/clean off of T:
- SIRSI Testing
- MARC problems – keeping stats
- AR has submitted a preformatted meeting minutes document that would have hidden html coding. Text could be inserted into designated fields easily without requiring reformatting before posting to the web.
- AR has also set up a calendar for staff use that would include all standing meetings and planned vacations. Short training sessions for all personnel will be set up at each hub.
- Both suggestions look good and will be tried out.
2. Time off
- Team Leaders should email RM with any planned time off.
3. Use of/clean off of T
- Everyone should know how to logon to both T: ‘s. For convenience, a short cut can be added to workstation’s desktops to access the other hub’s T: easily. The Alex and LSM T: ‘s should mirror each other to minimize confusion of where documents are stored.
- The T: should be used to pass around documents instead of emailing them. This will cut down on filling up our email space with large documents.
- These drives should be cleaned up and kept that way. The ALEX T: is especially messy. Everyone should look in these drives and remove any unneeded documents.
4. SIRSI Testing
- YL and ID are the designated CSD SIRSI 2004 beta testers. Each team should look at the SIRSI Testing document to determine which aspects of SIRSI it is responsible to test normally and schedule times with YL or ID to go through their functions.
- Eight CSD staff members worked on the Consolidation Project that was to examine and possibly merge duplicate vendors and subscriptions. Lists of possible merges were created and sent to MP to look into our contracts for the feasibility of such merges.
- From now on all new orders, cancellations, and transfers for NBL, Camden, and Newark will come through the NB-CSD.
- An analysis is being performed to determine how funds from different campuses should be coordinated if paper and electronic versions are being purchased and are of interest to more than one location.
6. MARC Problems
- Involved parties should be spending one hour each week working on MARC problems. The involved parties are:
- Alex – Yuhwei, Susan, Paul, Linda Zuckerman
- LSM – Sal, Melody, Bob, Azon
- Bindery – As they are found as long as it takes less than 5 minutes
- Statistics of these problems should be kept. On the printed problem record, the problem should be circled, the type of problem, the time required to fix, and the initials of the person who worked on it should all be written. Every week the Receiving Coordinators will compile the statistics. Bindery personnel will also keep track of this information and submit results to be compiled with the others.
- A reminder will be sent out to all involved parties.
7. Information Sharing
- The LSM monthly staff meeting went well.
- Alex also had a monthly information sharing meeting that went well. The rest of the staff will be involved as needed.
- There is a new ASD staff member (Krista Dandurand) at KAL and will now be our contact there. A walkthrough of Alex CSD will be arranged to meet contacts and familiarize her with the staff and services CSD will perform.
- The Proposal for Dealing with NBL Duplicates of Items Stored at the Libraries Annex document was distributed to the group.
- A new student was hired at Alex to help out in Bib/Cat and the MARCIVE project.
- Item Standardization Focus Group is laying the groundwork to start creating single barcode multi-part processing standards. Representatives from the various Coll. Services teams are meeting to discuss implementation procedures.
- Student coordinators need to know when a new student will start and the location they will be working as soon as it is known.
- New Students were hired to work twice a week on the LSM Weeding Project.
- SB will work at LSM ˝ day each week to help with the LSM Weeding Project.
- A relatively small boxing project is beginning for items that were in the LSM Special Collections room. JM is coordinating this project and will create an estimate of the cost and send it to AM.
- The Bindery/Preservation Team is beginning a massive cleanup project of the bindery records. This project will start at LSM.
- There are high hopes for gathering statistics regarding the flow of damaged books both in and out. This should tell us how much time is required to work on repairs to keep a steady rate.
- The meetings template to be sent out by AR should be used by all groups.
- All staff members should use the department calendar, and is to be updated by the site supervisors and AR.
- TL’s should email RM any time they plan to take off.
- MARC Holdings problems should be worked on for one hour each week and statistics gathered.
- Yuhwei and Sal are to email the student and voucher employees to remind them about working policies--especially downloading programs, use of email/instant messaging. Team Leaders to be copied on the message.
- AR will set up and plan training sessions for the use of the staff calendars.
- Everyone should take a look at the T: ‘s for documents that can be deleted.
Next meeting: 10/14/04: LSM
Next recorder: Paul Cabelli
Back up recorder: Melody Tomaszewicz