Minutes of March 17, 2005 meeting
- Ian Bogus [recorder], Paul Cabelli, Sal Cardinale, Yuhwei Ling, Rebecca Martinez [chair], Gracemary Smulewitz, Melody Tomasewicz
- Pay for Performance
- Accompanying Material
- SIRSI Updates
- Space Issues
- Ceased/Format Changes
- Kluwer workflow
- Monitoring Listserves
- Pre/Post-Cat Document
- Voucher Job Descriptions
- Round Robin
1. Pay for Performance
- The P4P forms are the same this year as last year’s forms. With some minor modifications, last years
Self-Assessment and P4P Appraisal forms can be used. The most major change in the process this year is
that the Exceeds Standards category has been removed. Job descriptions should be analyzed and modified if
- A timeline was established to complete P4P on time.
- The Self-Assessment forms must be completed and given to the appropriate staff by Tuesday March 22.
- Those writing Self-Assessments must have them completed by the end of the day Wednesday March 23.
- P4P Appraisals must be completed and returned to RM and GS by the end of the day Tuesday March 29.
- All appraisals must be given to JG by April 1.
- The following list shows the appraisal responsibilities in the CSD:
- IB appraises JM
- MT appraises SB and NS (this appraisal is shared with SC)
- SC appraises NS (this appraisal is shared with MT)
- PC appraises BH, AR, and RPN (this appraisal is shared with RM)
- YL appraises LZ
- RM appraises IB, PC, SC, JH, YL, RPN, and SP, all in collaboration with GS.
- GS appraises RM
2. Accompanying Material
- Because of the time constraints of P4P this discussion has been tabled. A special meeting will be made
to discuss the matter.
3. SIRSI Updates
- All Team Leaders should have a copy of the SIRSI testing checklist. It is very important that every
time an update is released the release notes are looked over and the checklist is completed by the
- The 2004 release of SIRSI is a big change from the current version. Of course this will mean that
training is necessary, as well is extensive testing of the product. A revised SIRSI testing checklist
will be created by next months meeting where a plan for testing the release will be discussed.
- This year GS is moderating the Web Forum which is where suggestions to serials functions for SIRSI are
4. Space Issues
- The LSM CSD office has become a little crowded, especially during times where large projects are being
processed. A new computer was installed to help alleviate the problem, but unfortunately there is a
problem with the port it is on and it does not work. A discussion ensued around how to fix this problem.
Ultimately a little better communication required. Some discussion also surrounded suggestions for
remodeling the office.
5. Ceased/Format Changes
- There has been a little confusion regarding who to give information about ceased and format changes for
- If a Receiver gets information about a ceased title it should be given to RPN.
- If a title is ceased and then reopens it should go to the Bib.-Cat. Team.
- All ceased or format change notifications for Federal or New Jersey Depository should go to the
Government Documents Team.
- If a format change involves money it should be given to RPN.
6. Kluwer workflow
- All 200 or so Kluwer titles are going to online only status. This will happen immediately and will be
worked on as a project.
7. Monitoring Listserves
- Various Team Leaders are currently subscribed to a number of nationwide library listserves. All Team
Leaders should at the very least be on the UVM SERIALST.
8. Pre/Post-Cat Document
- The ‘Pre-cat and Post-cat Procedures (performed by Bib/Cat staff) that affect Bindery Operations’
document was distributed for approval.
9. Voucher Job Descriptions
- The Bib/Cat, Holdings, and Bindery teams have voucher job descriptions on file. They should be sent to
the Receiving Coordinators as a reference while the Serials Acquisitions Team writes their voucher job
10. Round Robin
- The US Document Serial Sets will be added and bound this year instead of purchasing the bound versions
separately. This will include the 107th Congress onward. No title will be bound incomplete. Because the
individual item lines are shadowed, it will not be required to charge the bound units to the bindery user
while the Serial Set is getting bound.
- Training the voucher to help in AR’s old position is moving along nicely.
- The team is trying to work out a backlog in Post-Cataloging work.
- The KAL New Jersey Documents project is just finishing up.
- The LSM Weeding Project is moving along well.
- It has come to be time in the Serials Inventory Project to start concentrating on Alexander Library and
LSM. Because the number of serial titles at those libraries are so large everyone in the department will
have to lend a hand. Starting in July all CSD department members will receive one title a month to
- The sample CSD Bulletin board is up an running. It can be found at:
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~yuhwei/phpBB2/. The Team Leaders should make users and take a look at it.
- LZ, a new Receiving Team member, is taking over replacements, bind prep, and student coordination.
Training is going well.
- YL will be taking over serial orders for RUL. Acquisitions has been training him for this
- Receiving statistics at LSM have been gathered and will be compiled shortly.
- Normal workflows are going well regardless of some problems that have come up.
- The Bindery/Processing/Preservation team has been working on and preparing for a few projects.
- The DOCNJ project is going well. Almost all items to be bound have been processed, and boxes have been
ordered for applicable materials.
- The SMLR Project, which has been on hold for some time now, could start up again before the end of the
- The B/P/P Team has been working with the Bib/Cat Team to organize and process the US Documents Serial
- The RUL Preservation Committee, Paper Preservation Sub-group has started a long term environmental
study in all of RUL with the help of NB Collection Management. Dataloggers have been purchased and are
being put throughout the RUL system. Initially the data will be compiled monthly; but after some data has
accumulated it will be compiled every 2-3 months.
- An item that has come out of the TSCWG Serials Section is that serial orders will be placed in NB for
all of RUL.
- The RUL_HOLDINGS and RUL_SERIALS lists will change a little. A single list will be made for selectors.
PC, MT, GS, and RM will moderate the messages and distribute them to the appropriate personnel.
- Dummy item records will be made to have orders attached to them. A staff note will be present so they
will not be accidentally deleted.
- The encumbered and not paid report will be evaluated shortly.
- A few weeks ago GS attended the SIRSI Superconference. This was very productive. and as stated above GS
is the moderator for suggestions to the serials module this year. The discussions and presentations are
available on a CD and will be posted to the T drive for interested parties ( instead an URL was
- The P4P schedule and assignments have been designated.
- All Team Leader members should sign up on the UVM Serials listserv.
Next meeting: 4/14/2005: LSM
Next recorder: Paul Cabelli
Back up recorder: Sal Cardinale