Minutes of August 18, 2005 meeting
- Ian Bogus, Salvatore Cardinale, Yuhwei Ling (recorder), Rebecca Martinez (chair), Gracemary Smulewitz
- Paul Cabelli, Andy Martinez, Melody Tomaszewicz
- Accompanying material – finalize process for implementation
- DANA – updates, next steps
- Documents to help Unit Technical Services
- Information sharing
There was an impromptu discussion prior to the agenda concerning the CS-ALEX user and the items checked
out to it. Among the issues discussed were inventory of the backlog of the items checked out to CS-ALEX
and rebinding of items on preservation (Ian will get an estimate of the cost). The discussion would be
continued between Gracemary, Ian, and Rebecca at a later date.
1. Accompanying material – finalize process for implementation
Accompanying materials were discussed in an attempt to finalize the procedures to incorporate them into
CSD’s existing workflow.
- Stephanie Bartz had questioned Gracemary as to whether “damaged” electronic media (CDs, DVDs, floppy
disks) should be sent to Collection Services instead of Media Services. A discussion followed as to what
happens to accompanying materials that are damaged. All damaged electronic media had been decided to go
to Media Services. However, it was decided that all damaged accompanying materials should go to
Collection Services with the exception of VHS tapes. Media Services will continue to handle all damaged
VHS tapes. Collection Services will solicit the help of the PC coordinator at ALEX and LSM to help
evaluate the damaged materials. Gracemary will report to Judy Gardner this decision.
- Sub-locations were discussed briefly as to what categories they fall under (non-circulating, non-
holdable, etc). Gracemary will follow up with Paul to get more sub-locations added as they are needed.
Gracemary will also find out more information for the PER-COM locations.
- Andy had sent out statistics of existing accompanying materials to the group. The items counted will
have to be part of the backlog section of the accompanying material project. Melody, Paul, and Ian will
meet with Andy to discuss a timeframe for incorporating this backlog into the workflow.
- DANA CDs and DVDs will have to be kept behind the circulation desk due to a higher rate of theft of
materials at the DANA library. A workflow for DANA will have to be established.
- The group went over the changes to the receiving workflow for accompanying materials. It was decided
that the procedures be discussed at the Receiving Focus Group meeting and then at the TSCWG meeting.
2. DANA – updates, next steps
The group discussed the next steps in getting DANA incorporated into Collection Services’ standards and
- DANA’s receivers (Bonnie, Jennifer along with Andrea) will have to be trained to receive the direct
titles for DANA according to CSD’s standards. They will be coming to LSM to be trained by Sal.
- A discussion was initiated on whether DANA would continue to bindery operations. Bonnie and Fatima
would have to be trained in Bindery procedures. Ian suggested that the workflow be changed first before
incorporating LincPlus at DANA.
- Training in Holdings would also have to be done for Fatima overall but especially in regards to not
deleting items with PO’s attached.
- Gracemary, Rebecca, Sal, Ian, Jamie will be going back to DANA on 9/2/05 to finish up the replacements
- For the titles LSM will be receiving for DANA, Rebecca needs to update the list of titles. She will
also meet with Sal and the receiving team at LSM to make sure the transition goes smoothly. She will do
the same with Suzanne.
3. Documents to help Unit Technical Services
Rebecca talked to the group about documentation for the unit libraries for standard practices in all
areas of the department. Information sharing was also encouraged for the units in order for them to know
what to do concerning work flow (who to route items to, what materials go where, etc).
4. Information sharing
- Sal reports that the new voucher receiver, Karen, is doing well at LSM. Kenji, another voucher who was
hired recently to help Bindery/Processing, was reported as doing well also. Sal also says that he has
begun to work on the Ceramics project.
- Yuhwei reports that Linda will start to receive everyday as part of her job responsibilities. He also
reported that he expects orders to pick up in quantity. Gracemary, Rebecca, and he ran reports of
selectors funds and sent an email out to the selectors to notify them to evaluate them and send
cancellations/orders. He also reports that the REF Index Tables at Alex will be eliminated soon and has
worked with Rob Krack in Collections Management to provide support where necessary.
- Ian is working on criteria for damaged materials for the selectors. This will help in deciding whether
some material is salvageable. He will develop recommendations based on his criteria. He has also done
analysis based on environmental data taken from the libraries for the Preservation Group.
- Rebecca has been appointed CSD’s representative to the REF group. She has also been asked to serve on
a committee on diversity in the libraries. She also reports that prepayment of titles will be going to
- Gracemary is writing a proposal on where the department is headed in terms of reporting and
responsibilities system-wide. She has been involved in metadata and looking into Electronic Resource
Management (ERM) systems for implementation in RUL. A new link resolver is also being looked at and
researched. She also mentioned that we will be working on a Request for Proposal (RFP) for our major
subscription vendors. We will be investigating moving orders to more appropriate vendors and the RFP
will be helpful in determining the best mix of what titles to give to who. Lastly, Gracemary also
reports that she is in negotiations with Sirsi to make Rutgers a beta site for Sirsi’s ERM.
- All damaged accompanying electronic media with the exception of VHS tapes will go to CSD.
- Receiving workflow for accompanying materials will be discussed with the receiving team first then at TSCWG.
- Training for DANA staff will continue for the appropriate staff to conform to CSD procedures.
- Bindery operations will continue at DANA but workflow will change first before implementing LincPlus.
- Ian will get estimate of rebinding items that need preservation work that are checked out to CS-ALEX.
- Gracemary will report to Judy Gardner on the recommendations of the group regarding accompanying materials.
- Paul and Gracemary will follow up on new sub-locations for accompanying materials media depending on their status (REF, circulating, etc.).
- Gracemary will find out the status of the PER-COM location (where it is, how it is set-up, etc.).
- Gracemary, Rebecca, Sal, Ian, and Jamie will go to DANA on 9/2/2005 to finish up their replacements/back issue project.
- Rebecca will meet with Sal and the LSM receiving team, as well as Suzanne, to coordinate DANA receiving and claiming.
- Yuhwei and Natascha will get the select newspapers at ALEX which need to be microfilmed pending instructions from Gracemary.
- Gracemary, Ian, and Rebecca will discuss the CS-ALEX user issue.
- Melody, Paul, and Ian will meet with Andy to discuss the timeframe for incorporating accompanying material backlog.
Next meeting: 9/15/2005 @ LSM
Next recorder: Andy Martinez
Back up recorder: Rebecca Martinez