Minutes of April 20, 2006 meeting
- Ian Bogus, Paul Cabelli (recorder), Salvatore Cardinale, Yuhwei Ling, Andy Martinez, Rebecca Martinez, Gracemary Smulewitz, Melody Tomaszewicz
- Budget for 2007 - impact
- Kilmer project
- ILL requests and handling record problems
- Focus Groups RUL-wide - Updates
- Information Sharing - please include updates on any problems as well as stats for projects
1. Budget for 2007 – impact:
The group discussed the possible ramifications to RUL and Collection Services of a projected
8-10 % budget cut. It was suggested that the team leaders elicit suggestions from their focus
group members on ways to create more efficient workflows. The team leaders agreed to meet on
May 3 to review these results. Salvatore will also present workstudy projected
expenditures at that meeting.
2. Kilmer project:
Ryan Womack gave the department a list of business titles needed holdings and cancellation
work. A core group of staff will meet to discuss the workflow.
3. ILL requests and handling record problems:
We had a discussion regarding the difficulties ILL staff had in finding requested material. These
problems were thought to be primarily due to record inaccuracies, record misreadings, title change
misunderstandings, location questions, and holdings terminology questions. It was suggested that
our department offer a training session to ILL staff, perhaps in August, on how to correctly read a
serial record. In the meantime, team members and students should keep track of ILL requests:
where they come from, and what they request.
4. Focus Groups RUL-wide – Updates:
Many focus groups have started to hold meetings RUL-wide via teleconferencing. No major
problems have developed in the process as yet. Andy requested that he
be copied on all agendas and meeting minutes. All groups should continue to send minutes to Yasu
Denda, including any past minutes not reported.
5. Information Sharing:
- Salvatore reported that the LSM reading room shift was completed. He also co-led an extended information training session RUL-wide, and assisted in the accompanying material training for TSB staff.
- Yuhwei co-led the extended information training session. He will be involved in receiving training for some CSD staff members and voucher student help. A microfilm shift at Alex is being investigated. Yasu Dendo requested that he have backup in case a shipment arrives and he is unavailable to process it. It was decided that Bill Bejarano and Jamie Maguire would be the backups.
- Melody reported that 29,000 volumes have been weeded to date from the science libraries. She was also informed that Bonnie Spaventa will assist in cataloging the monographs from the Alex DOCREF RECON project. Melody reminded us that the entire dept. agreed to process 1 title every 2 months for the serials inventory project.
- Ian mentioned that preservation surveys are going on in some of the units. The preservation labs have also been consolidated to Alex.
- Paul reported that he assisted training Andrea Lakios in the Dana RECON project. The stats for the DOCREF Foreign cat project to date are: adds – 26, monos sent to cat – 124, serials sent to cat – 14. The stats for the SMLR conference proceedings cat project to date are: serials sent to cat – 15.
- Andy reported that the transfer of bound periodicals from the Physics Library to the Annex has been completed. Approximately 1,200 volumes were sent to the Annex. Howard is finishing work on consolidating 6 titles held at various libraries through NBL. That list will be sent to LSM-Collection Services staff. Chemistry staff are currently packing three Chemical Abstracts titles that will be transferred to the Libraries Annex. Once completed, approximately 1,600 volumes will be sent to the Annex. Work is being completed on the inventory of certain Math Library titles. Once completed, these titles will be part of a transfer to the Libraries Annex. Approximately 1,200 volumes will be sent to the Annex. A shift of the Current and Bound Periodical Collections at the Douglass Library was recently completed. It was hoped that a report of the current titles could be produced, so that CM staff could check this against the titles and holdings on the shelves.
- Rebecca reported that the RFP for serial vendors was completed.
- Andy Martinez should be copied on all focus group agendas and meeting minutes.
- Yasu Denda should be copied on all finalized meeting minutes.
- Bill Bejarano and Jamie Maguire would be the backups for Alex bindery shipment arrival processing.
- Team leaders will poll their teams for ideas for more efficient workflows. Team leaders will meet on May 3 to discuss their findings. Salvatore will also present workstudy projected costs.
- CSD will hold a serial record interpretation session for ILL staff in August.
- A core group of staff (undetermined as yet) will meet to discuss the Kilmer business holdings/cancellation project.
Next meeting: 5/18/06 at ALEX
Next recorder: Salvatore Cardinale
Back up recorder: Yuhwei Ling