Minutes of meeting
- Ian Bogus [Recorder], Paul Cabelli, Salvatore Cardinale, Yuhwei Ling, Jamie Maguire, Rebecca Martinez [Chair], Gracemary Smulewitz
- Andy Martinez, Melody Tomaszewicz
- In-Process items results of the study at Alex and LSM
- Training supervisory/library training
- Information sharing
1. In-Process items results of the study at Alex and LSM
- Studies were performed at the hubs to evaluate the necessity of DTS review of In-Process items.
- Between 12/10 1/18, 92 items were reviewed at LSM.
4 items had the following errors:
- 1 wrong library,
- 1 wrong call number,
- 1 needed a bookplate,
- 1 needed a tip-in.
- In total, 4.35% of reviewed items had errors.
- Unfortunately this time period seemed not to be representative of the actual quantity regularly sent because of the end of the
semester and winter break.
- Between 11/30 12/20, 895 items were reviewed at Alex.
86 items had the following errors:
- 10 wrong library
- 71 needed a bookplate
- 4 wrong call number/label
- 1 wrong bib record in book
- In total, 9.6% of reviewed items had errors.
- Items that need bookplates are required to be sent directly to Alex Processing. This is a new process and it is thought that
this issue can be remedied easily. If it is then the error rates drop dramatically to 3.3% at LSM and 1.6% at Alex. This topic
will be discussed again next month as to discuss whether or not all In-Process items can be sent directly to ASD instead of being
initially reviewed in DTS. In the mean time statistics will continue as to gather more data.
2. Training supervisory/library training
- There is a new supervisors training program being offered to help managers. Those enrolled are required to attend 4-6 full day
sessions once a month. Space is limited and DTS should submit recommendations.
- DTS should also start planning an open house similar to those previously performed in ILS and ASD. Two sessions should be held
sometime in June, one at each hub. It is expected that each function should work to create its own mini-presentation about what
functions are performed and how. Visual aids would probably be helpful. This will be discussed in more detail during the March TL
3. Information sharing
- Will be leaving Rutgers in about one month, and is currently trying to determine what issues need to be addressed before his
departure. DTS should consider and submit any issues for consideration.
- Everything is cool over at LSM
- When NS is on vacation PC will travel between LSM and Alex to maintain Bib.Cat. functions in both locations.
- Dana has not re-started their recon project yet because of a lack of student workers.
- There are currently:
- 4.5 boxes of Latin American items that need to be searched.
- 5 boxes of Monos that need to be sent to Cataloging.
- 2 boxes of Wine Gift materials that have issues regarding being sent to the Annex.
- 24 boxes of Waxman Gifts are going to one of the old microfilm rooms.
- 6 boxes of stacks/McDonnell books that were remediated for mold but also require cataloging.
- IB will print up notes for each book regarding the remediation.
- PC will take an inventory of all these projects as to flesh out a workflow with Cataloging.
- Approximately 60 titles are left with the SMLR Conference Proceeding Project.
- The DOCREF Foreign/State project is almost finished
- 117 serial titles remain
- 40 mono titles remain
- John Brennan is taking over the time sheets for DTS
- SC is doing some serial orders with RM
- There seems to have been a recent change in the frequency of mail delivery to Dana Library. This occasionally causes some
concerns with Dana receiving items in a timely manner.
- Dana shelf-reading is progressing slowly and they are finding units to bind. In the future it would be beneficial to perform
another such read with viable measures worked in such as the numbers of cancelled items, title changes, and units bound.
- A new voucher was hired at LSM. This process brought up a number of issues regarding how DTS should be interviewing for voucher
positions in the future. Because of the added personnel time it may be alright relieve CT from going to LSM after a couple of
- It is about time to perform a time study on Receiving.
- RPN and SP have been finding a lot of awkward Dana records recently
- Performed some training for Special Collections and University Archives on MARC Holdings.
- Performed training with BP for inventory at Dana Library.
- There seems to be an abnormal amount of dislodged P.O.s recently.
- EAL work has slowed down a bit over break. It is also seeing a lot of exchange items.
- SMLR items with outstanding claims were reviewed. Most of these items were not found and older ones were removed from the
Control Record. Some Extended Information records need to be updated.
- YL is currently helping SCC 12 hours a week on a migration project. This is now beginning to wind down.
- ALA is next week and GS is scheduled to go to a number of ERM presentations. She will report back to the group on what she saw.
- DTS reviewing In-Process materials
- DTS Open House
Next meeting: 2/15/07, LSM Time: 1:30
Next recorder: Melody Tomaszewicz
Back up recorder: Paul Cabelli