Minutes of March 22, 2007 meeting
- Paul Cabelli (recorder), Sal Cardinale, Yuhwei Ling, Jamie Maguire, Rebecca Martinez (Chair), Andy Martinez, Gracemary Smulewitz, Melody Tomaszewicz
- Previous minutes
- In-Process Items
- Contact/Departmental Info for those outside the department
- Information Sharing
- Writing Minutes
- Open House
- Additional topics
1. Previous minutes
- Rebecca will send corrections to Melody, who will edit the minutes and send them, and ask Yasu to post them on the NB DTS web
page. Everyone was reminded that DTS focus group minutes (incl. Team Leaders) should be sent to all members of DTS including
Camden and Dana Tech Services’ staff.
- Before the meeting got started, it was decided that Team Leaders would meet twice per month: the third Thursday of each month at
1:30 pm will be the routine Team Leaders’ meeting focused on topics that need to be addressed on a regular basis; a second meeting
will be held on the fourth Thursday of the month at 10:00 am. The second meeting will be a working group meeting – dedicated to
one topic only that needs extensive work. The first working group meeting is scheduled for March 29th at 10:00 am.
2. In-process Items
- The group reviewed the changes that Andy made to his original document. Andy informed us that the process should be in place
starting April 1. For now the Alex and LSM material will continue to go to each location respectively. As agreed, any problems
encountered by Access Services staff will be routed to DTS staff. Yuhwei should let Linda know that the students will not need to
check the material coming through. Sal should notify Renee that she can take a cart downstairs at LSM, put the material on the
truck and give it directly to Access Services.
3. Contact/Departmental Info for those outside the department
- Rebecca collected our responses and we briefly discussed them. Rebecca asked Andy to survey Access Services branch staff for
their feedback about what kinds of questions they need answered and who they are contacting for answers. It was agreed that the
group will discuss the responses at the next working group meeting.
4. Information Sharing
- Requested clarification for determining ‘damaged’ books when branch staff perform serials inventory. There was discussion
concerning various criteria used. Some systems use two levels of criteria (‘bad’ - needs rebinding, and ‘irreplaceable’ – needs
selector replacement decision), and some use five levels. Information is currently being placed in the Condition Field of the item
record line. Andy is hoping to change the types of damaged criteria to closely mirror what DTS/Preservation uses. This way he can
have a more accurate cost picture should they decide to repair items en masse.
- In his periodic review of user records, Andy found that there were 522 titles charged out to LSM WEED, of which 191 were overdue
since 2005. It was decided that Andy would give the list to Melody for her and Neera to investigate and resolve. Andy also wanted
to find out what user or location the staff at Alex and LSM utilize when performing Missing Pages work. Finally, Andy discovered
many old LSM bindery charges. He agreed to send Jamie a list.
- DOCREF State serial titles: 77 left, 50 finished
- SMLR Conference proceedings: 36 left, 114 done
- LSM bib/cat backlog was evaluated by Paul and Neera. Neera will investigate one title per week (more if workflow allowed.) Paul
will also investigate one title per week (more if workflow allowed) on his Wednesday afternoon sessions at LSM.
- Paul said that he is making headway in his backlog at Alex bib/cat.
- The EAL conference/storage room is being cleared and organized by himself and 2 student assistants. Three boxes were sent to Li
- A binder for receiving non-roman alphabet titles is being created for the DTS receivers at Alex.
- Needs ‘shelved as” notes for many Math Library serials. After discussing the formatting of the Marc holdings note for “shelved
as” (|h vs. |z), it was decided to bring this formatting issue up at the next TSCWG Holdings meeting for clarification.
- Chemistry and Chang Libraries have completed their Phase 2 parts of the Serials Inventory Project (SIP).
- The LSM Weeding Project has resulted in 35,803 volumes pulled to date. Only a few hundred remain, and will be processed at a
much slower pace than before.
- Physics Library has 6 titles that Howard Dess would like consolidated across RUL.
- Melody will begin training Lauren on the LSM weeding project.
- Alex has completed 13% and LSM 25% of Phase 1 of the SIP
- Melody and Linda have already barcoded material that can be entered – MT to make everyone aware of this
- Will be hiring two new SCILS students: one will assist Robin in her daily work, and one will work on SPCOL MARC holdings and
also process the Jacobi Collection material
- Attended a recent RLG conference in NYC entitled Discovery to Delivery in New Contexts Symposium. It ‘focused on the discovery
to delivery traverse patrons make to gain access to research materials’.
- Reviewed the different phases of the SIP. After discussion, the group agreed on the following definitions:
- Phase 1 – titles having control records
- Phase 2 – remaining titles w/o control records but having 930s
- Phase 3 – remaining titles having 930s
- Phase 4 – remaining titles w/o Marc holdings
- Phase 5 – remaining clean up
5. Writing Minutes
- It was suggested that all minutes should be carefully written, with a focus on summarizing concepts and what we attempt to
accomplish. Attachments can be added where possible. An attendance sheet should be passed around so that attendance is accurately
recorded. Any specialty topics or issues should be run by the appropriate focus group before being added to the minutes. Gracemary
will ask Sam McDonald for advice on standardized RUL template requirements. If Word is an acceptable format, then we will ask Yasu
Denda to create a template for the department to use.
6. Dana Library
- Iliana should be copied on every request going to Tech Services staff at Dana.
- Iliana and Jamie will be meeting to go over processing standards. Jamie and Rebecca will review processing standards for Dana
and provide updates to Yoshiko.
7. Open House
- Tabled for next meeting, but each Team Leader should begin meeting with their group.
8. Additional topics
- The group reiterated that all preservation questions should be taken to Yasu at Alex or Jamie at LSM.
- Team leaders agreed to conduct two meetings per month: one for general topics and information sharing, and one for specific topic discussions (as needed)
- Revision processing is due to commence in both Alex and LSM Access Services hubs on April 1
- All preservation questions should be taken to Yasu at Alex or Jamie at LSM.
- All – review Contact/Departmental Informational responses for next Working Group team leaders meeting
- All – discuss “shelved as” Marc holdings note at the next TSCWG Holdings meeting on April 4
- Andy – send Jamie a list of old LSM Bindery charges for investigation
- Andy – send Melody a list of overdue LSM Weed titles
- Andy - find out what user or location the staff at Alex and LSM utilize when performing Missing Pages work
- Andy – will survey Access Services branch staff for their feedback and their contact lists for DTS
- Gracemary - ask Yasu to create a Word document minutes template
- Gracemary - ask Sam McDonald for advice on standardized RUL template requirements
- J-Client review
- Open House status
Next regular meeting: April 19, 2007 LSM 1:30 pm
Next recorder: Sal Cardinale
Back up recorder: Yuhwei Ling