Minutes of March 15, 2006 Meeting
- Jeanne Boyle, Pam Johnson, Tracey Meyer, Jeff Teichmann (recorder), Marilyn Wilt (chair)
Via Videoconference: Katie Anderson, Vibiana Bowman, Yoshi Ishii
I. Review of Minutes of February 15, 2006 meeting
Marilyn reviewed the major points of last month's meeting:
The Training and Development website is going to be redesigned so as to serve as a more of an
education center and/or resource to the RUL community. Items II and III were mentioned, but
discussed in further detail as they came up on the agenda.
II. Supervising for Excellence Series
Marilyn reviewed the document drafted by herself and Jeanne outlining the series for RUL Cabinet.
The committee is asking Cabinet to identify the supervisor participants for the program. The
committee recommends that the two groups of participants be a mix of both experienced and new
supervisors, and include supervisors from all three campuses. With the committee's approval, Jeanne
will present the document to the RUL Cabinet.
III. National Library Week (NLW) Programs
- The Time Traps program facilitated by Marie Radford, Associate Professor, SCILS, will be held on Tuesday, April 4, 2006. It has already been announced and has 10 registered participants so far.
- We have partnered with the RUL Diversity committee in a diversity program exploring the spring holidays of various cultures. Exploring Community II will be a lunchtime seminar on Thursday, April 6. Among the festivals/holidays to be spotlighted: Chinese New Year, Passover, Easter, Indian New Years, Prophet Mohammed's birthday, Hanami-cherry blossom viewing.
- Marilyn will order NLW posters for the branches that do not have the large banners used in previous years. Tracey Meyer asked that TAS be included in this count. This year's theme - "Change Your World @ Your Library".
- Tuesday, April 4, 2006 is National Library Worker Day - possible celebratory ideas
- Letter from President McCormick.
- 'Special" chocolate bars in appreciation of service to RUL and its user community.
- Carnations for all.
- New RUL Employee Orientation - possible content includes: (Marilyn will look over brainstorming results and put them all together)
- RUL mission and vision statements, goals, strategic plan and organizational structure - presented by Marianne Gaunt and AULS.
- Virtual tours of libraries using still pictures or videos
- History of RUL - Tom Frusciano
- Services available for RUL/RU employees
- Technical and computer services - PCWG etc.
- Safety & Security - RUPD
- Training & Learning programs - TLC
- UHR benefits for staff - UHR
- Policies and Procedures, Structures, Governance for Faculty
- Libraries as resource for all of us
IV. Lunchtime Seminar series
- SIRSI Superconference - Definite - Presenter - Chris Sterback date = TBD
- NJ Train-the-Trainer 2006 - Possible - Presenter - this year's attendees
- IVIES+ Access Services and Reference Services - Possible - Presenter - this year's attendees
- What's Love got to do with it? - Possible - Bobbie Tipton's program.
- Spring technical skill development series has been announced and each program has 5-6 participants already enrolled. We will offer Basic Excel, Intermediate Excel, Excel: Charts and Pivot Tables, Basic Powerpoint, Basic Access, and Intermediate Access. Marilyn will work with Samuel to update T & D site.
- NJ Train-the-Trainer - RUL sent 3 participants - program ends 3/17/2006.
- Video conferencing workshop scheduled for 3/2/06 was postponed due to weather. It has been rescheduled for 4/20/06 in the same locations.
- P4P education / information sessions will be presented 3/29/06 - Locations Alexander - morning and TAS - afternoon. Both sessions may be videoconferenced to Robeson and Dana libraries.
The next meeting is scheduled for April 19, 2006, 2 pm, Nicholas Rutgers Room, 3rd Floor, Alexander
Library, New Brunswick.