Minutes of September 20, 2006 Meeting
- Jeanne Boyle, Judit Hajnal-Ward, Pam Johnson, Tracey Meyer, Glenn Sandburg, Jeff Teichmann (recorder), and Marilyn Wilt (chair).
I. Membership Changes
Marilyn announced Katie Anderson and Vib Bowman-Cvetkovic will no longer be serving on the
committee. Chris Ingram and Yoshiko Ishii will continue to represent Dana, and Donna Wertheimer
will represent Robeson.
II. State of the Libraries - 2006
- Wednesday, November 1, 2006 at the Busch Campus Center, Multipurpose Rooms ABC.
- Program and event brainstorming -
- Main portion of the program will be the rollout of the strategic plan. May want to include partners from the University that will collaborate with RUL on the implementation of the strategic plan.
- In addition to the display tables and project demos, a photo essay will be running prior to the formal program. Most likely theme will be centered on RUL Then and Now, and into the future. Jeff volunteered to recruit photos and set up the show.
- Suggested as another possible program event was Grace Agnew speaking briefly about the RUL Repository.
- In the past few years, the skits have been an enjoyable and appreciated part of the program and the committee agreed there should be a skit. Brainstorming produced the idea of continuing the RUL Then and Now theme and customer service. It was decided to pursue the two ideas together - centering around the idea of an alumni user coming to a service desk and finding out how much has changed and will continue to evolve with the implementation of the strategic plan. Marilyn will think on this some more and touch base with possible other groups to work on the skit portion of the program.
- Marilyn mentioned she wanted to bring forward the committee's multi-year professional development plan Creating Our Future - Leading the Way with its three streams of Discovering, Energizing and Celebrating. The development plan elements could be linked to the strategic plan elements-focus and integration-to facilitate understanding the strategic plan rollout.
- The group suggested that Marianne give a budget update as part of the presentations, since there has been partial funding restoration since her last update.
- Possible set-up / room arrangements were discussed. Last year several people commented on not being able to see either the speaker or the slide show. Marilyn is thinking about having a center area for a skit, but this may mean not being able to have tables set up for people to sit and eat and talk prior to the program. Also mentioned was this set-up may mean some people may not be able to see the skit. Marilyn will be meeting with the staff of the Busch Campus center soon and will discuss possible arrangements.
III. Lunchtime Seminar Series - Brainstorming
- PCWG - a program on email filters and the new SPAM management program in place for RU email systems. Anne Butman brought up the idea at a recent PCWG meeting. It is a timely topic that needs discussion. The group felt it may even need to be a training session rather than a demo-presentation session.
- RUL History - Alexander Library history - Tom Frusciano might be able to give a short talk on the history of Alexander Library, and RUL as a whole, in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of Alexander Library.
- Ann Montanaro and Shaun Ellis - ETD - Electronic Thesis and Dissertations - What is it and how does it work?
- Grace Agnew - The RUL Digital Repository - (if she does not present at the State of the Libraries program).
- Reports of research of faculty returning from sabbatical. Coordinated with SAPAC.
The next meeting is scheduled for October 18, 2006, 2 pm, Nicholas Rutgers Room, 3rd Floor,
Alexander Library, New Brunswick, and videoconferenced to Dana and Robeson.