Minutes for October 10, 2003 meeting
- [Chair] Gracemary Smulewitz [Recorder] Melody Tomaszewicz,
EL, CS, PC, KR, EC, LT, IB, TM, FC, AL, BP, W-HR
- Cancellations for this FY - status
- MARC holdings implementation and inventory
- Bindery changes- I. Bogus and G. Smulewitz
- Marcive loads and influence on holdings work
1. The NBL Cancellations Coordinator is notified to cancel a subscription.
a. Adds title to Cancellations/Ceased database
- Obtains complete title, order, subscription, vendor and funding information.
- Notifies the vendor of the cancellation and requests confirmation.
- Confirms selector retention decisions for "Current n only" and "Latest n..." materials.
b. Updates control records
- Changes the status to "CANCELLED" for loose and bound control records.
- Removes extraneous predictions.
- Enters "Cancelled after v.-- [yr.]" in the Extinfo folder of both loose and bound control records.
- Enters "Cancelled after v.-- [yr.]. Pull immediately for bindery." in the note field of the last expected prediction of the loose control record.
- Enters "Cancelled after v.-- [yr.]. Notify RPN upon receipt." in the note field of the last expected prediction of the bound control record.
- Inserts "|xCancelled per [selector initials] on [date] (RPN)|zCancelled [in paper] after v.-- [yr.][, available online]" before the linking number
in the 852 tag of the Marc record attached to the bound control.
- Also adds a 928 tag to the bib record "|l[Library]|aCancelled [in paper] per [selector initials] on [date] [RPN] [date entered]".
c. Sends a list of order records to Acquisitions Dept. for cancellation.
2. When the last issue is received, the receiver verifies the title is complete:
a. If there are open claims on the title, the control is updated following normal procedures.
b. If all issues have been indicated as received, the receiver prints the extinfo
- For units, mails the printout of the extinfo to the unit with a note
requesting the remaining issues be pulled immediately & returned to CSD and the shelf label be discarded.
- For hubs, pulls the issues for binding immediately & removes the shelf label.
c. Incomplete volumes are put on the BIND-PREP shelf with the extinfo printout and the control record is modified according to BIND-PREP procedures.
3. Complete volumes with extinfo printout are put in the Bindery Processing's designated area.
- The volume and extinfo printout are double barcoded.
- The volume is added in ABLE.
- The ABLE record is deleted.
- The volume is readied for shipment.
4. The barcoded extinfo printout is put in IRIS Maintenance's designated
- The volume is received on the bound control and the barcode is wanded in.
- The loose control and marc records are removed.
- The volume is charged out to ALEXBIND or LSMBIND.
5. The NBL Coordinator is notified of the completed title.
- Updates the Cancellations/Ceased database.
- Removes the bound control.
- We welcomed Bonnie Paz to our group. She performs a wide range
of duties at Newark Dana Library. We also welcomed Wen-Hua Ren to the
group. Wen works with government documents at Dana Library.
- Bonnie and Iliana briefly mentioned the standardization of bindery
practices, which will be standardized RUL-wide.
Status of Cancellations
- We've got final cancellation lists, but did not actually cancel.
More money has been given to us by the state, so the cancellation lists will
be revised. Newark Dana is waiting to see what monies are given back
to them and then Veronica and Lynn will make final decisions.
- The Harrassowitz invoice has arrived, including the cancelled titles.
We may have to pay and ask for credit. Gracemary has written to Harassowitz
- Dana has asked Everet to delete the cancelled titles and issue a new
- Camden has received a renewal list only. They've finished marking
the cancelled titles.
- Harrassowitz said Alexander could cross off and delete cancelled titles
from the total. Nancy Hendrickson might approve this. We will
need to handle cancellations and invoices on a vendor by vendor basis.
- The deadline for cancellations was September 15. We're urging
NBL to finish the cancellation lists so we can act on them.
- Swets was unhappy with the delay. Swets will be buying Everet,
so the accounts and titles should merge.
- A discussion of the cancellation procedures brought up a question about
the public note in the 852 field. It was decided that a title cancelled
in paper that would continue at RUL online should have the following note:
"CA in paper only, online still available".
- Why do we need a public cancellation note? The reason
is because the Marc holdings will just give a summary statement of what is
received. The 930 summary holdings would let the patron know if more
volumes were expected (with a dash at the end of the holdings). Marc
holdings summarize what has been received, and the patron cannot know with
a glance if the title is currently received. In a ceased publication,
the bibliographic record is closed, and the patron will know that no more
are coming. In a cancelled title, the bibliographic record must remain
open, since the serial is still being published.
- The note in the 852 holdings field will be noted, and the patron will
know to access the online version. The public cancellation note is
even more important than before.
- Different formats. How can we make them simpler? We need
to simplify CA in paper, online, with gaps, etc.
- Public service people want to direct others to online resources easier.
The Marc Holdings may be a way to do it. Should the Marc Holdings for
the Online resource be first? At this point, the RU ONLINE doesn't
sort to be the first Marc Holding. It sorts alphabetically. Can
we put something in the Webcat to point the patron to the online button?
Maybe define a tag? It might be possible where IRIS is concerned.
We might be able to set up a notice or announcement about urls being in the
bibliographic records. We need to think about the simplest way that
would not be labor intensive or inconsistent.
- IPAC has looked at the labels for tags. The label for the electronic
access tag seems to be most user friendly. Sometime next year the 086
tag will be part of the MARC format.
- We've completed Marc Holdings records for all current serials.
We are now going to inventory and enter into Marc Holdings for our current
serials. We've developed procedures and trained Access Services staff
in the branches to begin the process. They have entered some Marc Holdings
and they look good. This will be a very large project.
- The current serials are being done first because they are most heavily
used. We will be running a review for the branch personnel this week.
Next we will start the big libraries. We would like to do this RUL wide,
and then inventory and enter Marc Holdings for the noncurrent serials.
- Most 930's for current subscriptions have been removed, and replaced
by 866s. Any catalog record that is being handled for any reason is
being updated with Marc Holdings. We are working on implementing Marc
Holdings for all serials. When we find a 930, we are converting it
to an 866.
- A list is being run of all 930s on all serial titles. It is a
huge list. RUL's goal is to create Marc holdings for active subscriptions
first. Send procedures to discuss next month. We may need some
training, and this project will require money for voucher funds to keep the
- Marchive records are being added with Marc holdings.
- Marc Holdings are not being added consistently. We need to set
up a meeting to set standards.
- CDs for humanities are a separate entity. For LSM they are part
of the monograph. We need consistency system wide. Why are the
holding codes different? Why are the Marc-H codes different?
If the holding codes are different, but the end result is the same, does
it really matter?
- The group should review the holding codes and think about ways to improve
consistency. Perhaps we can update the codes for better consistency.
What really counts is what comes out on the record.
- A problem record to look at is a454462, Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling
Program. Holdings are very inconsistent. Also Ground water resources
along the Little Bighorn River.
- If you are working on entering Marc Holdings and find something missing,
contact others in the group and come to a consensus.
- Iliana Bernal, Terry McNally, Bob Sewell, et. al. have changed the
binder. Camden and NBL are using ICI Library Bindery of PA.
- ICI is a conglomerate and has different binders are available.
They have more diversity in binding choices.
- We've converted some Science titles, and Dana to Library Bindery of
PA. The system has been installed at Dana, but not up yet.
- The Binding Working Group came up with different standards. Non
NBL should confer with Ian Bogus.
- The new prices at ICI will save us money.
- If something is an annual we will have to bind it as a serial so we
have choice of color.
- We need to get more information on pamphlet binds and specific terms
on different binding.
- Standards will be shared and we will give input before the next meeting.
- We're working on SIRSI/Workflows&...Everyone should use the bindery folder
to bind. We're trying to match up the fields from the book and put
the volume number in the variable field. It's a way to check for mistakes.
We can use the bindery folder to keep track of split volumes and change the
binding frequency if necessary.
- Link plus will be used to charge and discharge all binding being sent.
We may have to adjust how we add volumes to make it work with Workflows.
Link plus just barcodes and adds item lines it doesn't create Marc holdings
or serials controls. It may create serials volumes with no Marc holdings
or serials controls.
- For the Marchive records, we are adding Marc Holdings after the Marchive
record is added.
- With Gaps discussion—we will put a note into the 852 field that says
With gaps. This is consistent with how we enter supplement information.
There is a possibility of using the notes "Missing issues, see detailed holdings."
Or "Some volumes bound incomplete." The 930 rule for with gaps was
discussed; if there are two or less gaps, they should be indicated.
If there are more than two gaps, then the with gaps note should be used.
This should all be standardized.
- Pagination—A discussion about whether we should put a note in the 852
field that says "For pagination see physical item". Consensus was not
to use such a note. If it's a complete volume, there is no need for
pagination to be listed. A consensus was reached that we should not
us pagination in Bound Controls. A further discussion will be held
next time about whether or not to use pagination in the Current Marc Holdings.
852---With gaps; see detailed holdings discussion.
863 document—when to use Inc.
- When we run across a title in more than one format, we are automatically
sending it for merging. Merging the titles comes first, and then we
add the Marc Holdings.
- Should receivers look for merges? Serials cataloging feels that
they can handle the workload. When sending merges, we should move the
controls to the paper record first, and then send copies of the records for
- Gracemary will check on Everts meeting with Nancy Hendrickson,
Send information on merger with Everts.
Meeting adjourned - 12:03 P.M.
- We should merge formats whenever we are handling a title with more than one format.
- Pagination will not be used in bound Marc holdings statements.
- KR Iliana wants a report for materials with 866s
needed. KR Iliana wants a report for materials with 866s needed.
Kayla will resend a report to her.
- CS Chris will send a current list of Marc holdings
codes to us, for review.
- GMS Gracemary should send the 863 document to Dana
and put it on the Serial Web page.
- MT Melody should send the Missing issues document
to Dana the the Holdings Working group email list.
- GMS Gracemary to check on Everts meeting with Nancy
Hendrickson; send information on Swets merger with Everts
- Public service opinion of the 852 cancellation (online access) note
Currently the url is in blue on the OPAC public display screen.
- EC will ask IPAC about online hotline, Evaluate the online notes.
- Cancellation procedures will be posted online by Gracemary on the Holdings
Working Group serials Procedures.
- NBL and others should come together with standards, in cooperation
with the Holdings Working Group and the Documents group. Perhaps a
meeting should take place in December including what's on the web page (e.g.
Sirsi forms, serial control issues, etc).
- Our goal is to have binding standards.
- Standardizing practices of how to make item lines.
- Talking about pagination in current holdings.
Next Meeting Date: 11/5/03 10:00 A.M.
@ TSB Conference Room
Next recorder: Paul Cabelli
Backup recorder: Ellen Calhoun