Minutes for September 1, 2004 meeting
- Ian Bogus, Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Fatima Cunha, Andrea Lakios, Elizabeth Leister, Rebecca Martinez, Jean Madden, Terry McNally, Gracemary Smulewitz (chair), Christopher Sterback, Melody Tomaszewicz (recorder), Linda Turzynski, Anne Watkins
- Discussion of TSCWG goals and subgroups
- Updating of Cataloging Utilities
- MARC Holdings
- RUL Holdings list
- Problem solving session
1. We discussed the TSCWG goals and subgroups document. TSCWG will be broken into two subgroups.
- HM – Holdings Management consists of: IB, PC, EC, EL, RM, GMS (chair), CS, MT, LT in New Brunswick
Libraries, TMcN, JM, and MW in Camden and IB, AL, and FC in Newark.
- SM – Serials Management consists of E Leister , Y.Ling, R.Martinez, T.McNally, J. Madden RP-N,
C.Pecoraro, M.Page & G.Smulewitz (CO-chairs), I. Bernal; A. Lakios.
- Two separate mailing lists will support these subgroups: RUL_Holdings for the Holdings Management
group and RUL_Serials for the Serials Acquisitions Management group.
- Meetings of HM will be the first Wednesday of the month. Meetings of the SM will be the third
Wednesday of the month.
2. We discussed the impact that merging cataloging records and deleting cataloging records has on
IRIS, OCLC, RLIN, and other cataloging utilities used by RUL.
- We have to delete OCLC records manually by removing Rutgers holdings from the master record. If we
remove all of the holdings for a specific format, then OCLC has to be changed to remove all Rutgers
holdings of that format from the OCLC master record. A master record on OCLC will never change unless
it is manually changed.
- OCLC has a different format treatment than IRIS or RLIN. A different format means a totally
different cataloging record.
- RLIN gets our cataloging (as separate records) loaded. OCLC gets our holdings loaded onto the master
3. MARC Holdings Serials inventory was discussed. Several libraries in NBL have finished their current
records—Music, Kilmer, Douglass, and Chemistry. We discussed requirements to move along in this
- The powerpoint presentation will be updated and posted to the T drive.
- We discussed the notes taken at the Holdings Review Session held in August 2004.
- We discussed the idea of handling supplements in bound records with a z note telling the patron to
check the detailed holdings. It was decided that we would go with this approach instead of the
separate 867 and 868 listings.
- Separately cataloged supplements would have the Marc Holdings moved to the new cataloged record. A
note informing the public of this separately cataloged record will have to be agreed on.
4. MARC Holdings List usage was discussed.
- Problems to be discussed in review sessions, meetings, or dealt with by the Holdings Management team
should be posted to RUL_Holdings listserv.
- Any proposed changes to procedures, z notes proposed, or other ideas and questions should be posted
to the RUL_Holdings listserv.
- Discussion of z notes versus 928 notes. We do need both on a cancelled record.
5. Problem solving session—Journal of Chemical Physics
- We discussed the importance of the linking numbers in regards to the pattern (853) numbers—they must
match or you will have an error.
- We also discussed the importance of leaving old patterns in the MARC Holdings. One way to fix an
error in the order that a MARC Holdings displays is to renumber the patterns and 863 tags.
- It is important that when the work is done, that the current pattern (853 tag) matches the linking
number of the current expected issues.
- TSCWG will split into two groups—HM and SAM
- HM will be served by the RUL_Holdings listserv and SM will be served by the RUL_Serials listserv
- HM will meet the 1st Wednesday of the month, SM will meet the 3rd Wednesday of the month
- A document listing these changes will be distributed to all RUL staff this week.
- Problem solving sessions will be set up routinely each month. Staff working on MARC Holdings problems will commit one hour each week to working on the problems.
- GMS—Send out document delineating changes in TSCWG
- PC, MT—Update powerpoint presentation
- MT—Finish correction of Journal of Chemical Physics at Chemistry Library
- MT—Report on status of Serials Inventory Project
Next meeting: October 6, 2004: TSB Building Conference room
Time: 10:00 AM
Next recorder: Linda Turzinsky
Back up recorder: Ian Bogus