Minutes for October 6, 2004 meeting
- Iliana Bernal, Ian Bogus (recorder), Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Andrea Lakios, Elizabeth Leister, Jean Madden, Andy Martinez, Teresa McNally, Gracemary Smulewitz (chair), Chris Sterback, Linda Turzynski
- Housekeeping issues
- Inventory project – status report from MT, AL, IB
- Weeding project report – new withdraw patron – impact on workflow - GS
- Other items
1. Housekeeping issues
- TSCWG welcomed Andy Martinez to the group. Andy is the coordinator for Collection Management and for
the New Brunswick Branch Libraries.
- All group members should check their email in the morning before the meeting for important documents
that will be discussed.
- A new template has been designed for submitting meeting minutes. This template, along with all other
TSCWG documents, will be posted on the website along the following path: Staff Resources – Technical
Services – TSCWG – Holdings. GS will also post instructions for using this template with it. Once
complete, minutes should be sent to the RUL_EVERYONE listserv and GS will also make sure they are
posted to the appropriate space on the Library’s web page. Last months minutes were submitted in the
new format and were accepted by the group.
- When the HWG changed its name and split into two groups there was also the creation of separate
listserv’s that function as an easy way for the group to communicate outside of meetings. A system to
deal with issues and problems sent to this list needs to be created for the Holdings side of TSCWG.
Any issue, problem or project that involves inventory, weeding, transfers, or holdings management
should be submitted to the RUL_HOLDINGS list. Once the issue is submitted the TSCWG representative for
the appropriate function will coordinate the workflow. Projects are important to submit also since
frequently others have already performed similar projects and may be able to offer advice. This
practice should avoid problems where there is an unknown effect on another function.
- For example: a New Brunswick Holdings issue is posted and it also effects DBM and Systems. MT (the
New Brunswick Holdings Coordinator) will evaluate the issue and discuss it with LT (DBM representative
at the TSCWG) and CS (Systems representative at the TSCWG).
- An issue came up at Dana while merging records of different formats into one record. It was noticed
that there was potential for the orders to be lost during the merge. EL mentioned that while Dana
staff can move the items and serial controls they should not remove the items since an order could be
lost. Staff should contact DBM and they will make sure the orders will be put into the appropriate
- It seems as if two hours is not enough time for the TSCWG meetings. Staff that deals with MARC
Holdings should arrive at 9:30 in the future. Everyone else can arrive at 10:15.
2. Inventory Project
- IB and AL reported for Dana. 32 titles have been fully completed. An additional 86 titles are fully
barcoded and are ready to be put into SIRSI.
- Camden is currently inundated with other projects and has not started the inventory project. As long
as everything goes well, they hope to start before Christmas.
- MT reported for New Brunswick:
- Alex completed 41 titles (8% of the total amount)
- LSM completed 46 titles (5% of the total amount)
- Physics completed 33 titles (32% of the total amount)
- Art completed 76 titles (87% of the total amount)
- Math completed 77 titles (26% of the total amount)
- Chang, Chemistry, Music, Douglass, and Kilmer have all finished their active titles.
- This project is progressing quite well. GS will be reporting on it at the TSC tomorrow. She asked
Dana to submit two records that she will bring to this meeting as examples of what is being done.
3. Weeding project
- New Brunswick has a new staff member coordinating the LSM Weeding Project. There are an additional 3
FTE’s and one voucher working on this project. An important item that was learned during training is
that in the future all of the material cannot be pulled and reviewed later. Each record needs to be
reviewed individually on a case-by-case basis. The complexities surrounding the last copy policy has
also been reviewed and discussed. Because of these problems approximately 25% of the items that were
sent to the Annex were not actually the last copy. Some solutions have been found including not
copying and pasting the title that has to be searched.
- A "Batch Withdraw" patron was created to aid in the record management required by the weeding
project. As items are charged to this patron they immediately become shadowed and are not available
for patron requests. Once charged and shadowed Systems can more easily update or delete our holdings
in IRIS, RLIN, and OCLC utilizing a standard suite of batch processes developed with ISAWG.
- A workshop let by LT will be run to make staff aware of the numerous pitfalls of withdraws.
4. Other items
- The Item Standardization Focus Group has created a way to deal with items that come with
accompanying material such as CD’s or maps. A standard label with options will be placed on the
original item below the barcode. The staff member processing such an item will fill out this label. A
circulation note and staff note will also be placed on the online record. This policy will apply to
all items that have accompanying material regardless of whether they are shelved together. Next month
a finalized document created by the ISFG will be submitted to the TSCWG.
- The Power Point document “How to check in bound supplements and indexes” submitted by PC was
approved with some minor changes.
- The proposed Pagination Standard submitted by PC will be considered next month.
- The time normally scheduled for the TSCWG meeting next month has a conflict. Instead it will meet
November 10th. Staff that work with MARC Holdings will meet at 9:30. The rest will join at 10:15.
Next meeting: 11-10-04, TSB 10:00
Next recorder: Paul Cabelli
Back up recorder: Ellen Calhoun