Minutes for February 1, 2006 meeting
- Ian Bogus (recorder), Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Salvatore Cardinale, Bob Hosh, Sharon Favaro, Elizabeth Leister, Yuhwei Ling, Jamie Maguire, Rebecca Martinez, Virgia Miller, Gracemary Smulewitz (chair), Chris Sterback,
- Andy Martinez, Melody Tomaszewicz
- TSC Goals That Relate to TSCWG Holdings
- Goals of TSCWG Holdings
- Accompanying Materials
- Dummy Item Line
- MARC Holdings and Local Shelving Notes
- Serials that Change to Monographic Series
1. TSC Goals That Relate to TSCWG Holdings
- The “TSC Proposed Goals that Relate to TSCWG-Holdings” document was distributed.
- Goal #2 relates directly to the Serials Inventory Project. The workflow has been established and
is working well.
- Almost all of the New Brunswick Units and Branches are finished with their active title lists.
They will soon be start working on their inactive titles. Alexander Library and LSM have started
their inventories of active titles.
- Newark will receive training within the next couple of weeks. Camden is welcome to similar
training if they so desire.
- In the past holdings inventories have been processed differently in different locations. One of
the largest intents of this goal is to have standard, clean, and sensible holdings statements
across the RUL system.
- Paul will coordinate all title changes that are found during the inventories.
- We are now purchasing federal government document records and will be inventoried as the records
- Gracemary will send out an update of exactly where New Brunswick stands. From there it can be
projected how long the entire project will take.
- Finding titles that missed the inventory process will be difficult since reports may not catch
them. A system to identify dead titles that need to be inventoried still has to be figured out.
- Goal #3 relates to the standardization of Distributed Technical Services Activities throughout
the RUL system.
- The processing standards were completed and accepted last summer.
- The group felt that some binding standards may be helpful such as how information is laid out on
the spines of library bound volumes. This can be discussed in the System-Wide B/P/P meetings.
- The Bib/Cat Team has some standard documents such as the Title Changes Standards and general
documents related to serial cancellations, record mergers for monographs, and new titles. Paul
should meet with Sharon, Elizabeth, and Virg to discuss these standards and see what can be shared
- A review for the needs of an FAQ for the Staff Resources page has been started. Yasu Denda has
been conducting interviews to discuss how these pages are currently being used. A task force is
needed to review them and suggest a better format. In the mean time all TSCWG members should
discuss with their staff how these pages are used and what information in them is helpful.
2. Goals of TSCWG Holdings
- After a brief discussion it was decided that the personnel in attendance of this meeting was appropriate without the need for changes presently.
- New items of discussion may include:
- Reports on projects such as size, statistics, progress etc.
- Round Robin to report on items occurring that are of common interest.
- Reports on other meetings that are of interest, such as: CDC, ISAWG, Collection Management, TSC, LIS, PSC.
- These discussion can start at the next meeting.
3. Accompanying Materials
- Processing and Receiving are almost finished their new Accompanying Materials standards
- Holdings is currently working on standards for monographs.
- When the standards are finished they should be sent to Cataloging and Acquisitions.
- Some questions still surround how to retroactively implement the Accompanying Materials Standard.
- One option is to process this material on the fly using circulation as an identification mechanism. Gracemary will discuss this option with Andy.
- Someone needs to be put in charge of running this project
4. Dummy Item Line
- When orders are created a shadowed dummy item line is created that has the order linked to it.
- How this process worked in the past was not always standard and is sometimes not clear what items line an order is attached to.
- An active cleanup of these types of items will not happen. If someone runs across a problem then they should be aware of a couple of items:
- If orders are being moved or created then all orders can go on the same dummy item line
- Shadowed records is indexed in the search functions but NOT the browse functions.
- All generic item lines that have orders attached to them can be shadowed, but there will be some exceptions.
- TSB will move all orders during record mergers (which is the current practice).
5. MARC Holdings and Local Shelving Notes
- The "MARC Holdings and Local Shelving Notes for CAT/SEP and CAT/SET/A Titles" document was distributed.
- This document describes some scenarios on how public notes should look for CAT/SEP and CAT/SET/A items. This document will have some minor changes and then it is ready to implement.
6. Serials that Change to Monographic Series
- This item was tabled until next month.
- TSCWG Holdings meetings will have Round Robins to keep everyone up to speed on what is happening throughout the RUL system.
- PC will meet with Cataloging and DBM to discuss Title Changes
- Everyone will review and discuss the Staff Resources pages with their staff
- Serials that Change to Monographic Series
Next meeting: 3/1/2006: TSB Time: 10:00
Next recorder: EC
Back up recorder: SC