Minutes for February 6, 2008 meeting
- Fay Austin, Iliana Bernal (videoconferenced), Paul Cabelli, Ellen Calhoun, Fatima Cunha (videoconferenced), Yuhwei Ling, Jamie Maguire, Rebecca Martinez, Gracemary Smulewitz (Chair), Christopher Sterback, Melody Tomaszewicz (Recorder), Steve Zahorbenski
- Janet Howard, Elizabeth Leister, Andy Martinez
- Approval of December 2007 minutes
- Status of "shadowing" evaluation
- New work flow for "Circ on the fly" exchange with monograph cataloging
- Report from ISAWG
- Using "Former Title" tags and MARC holdings
1. December 2007 minutes approved
2. Status of shadowing evaluation
- Chris Sterback has removed some shadowed locations from the pull down menus on Workflows, in order to prevent
misuse.(Subsequent to this meeting library staff reported a problem with the custom list that was related to a
known bug in the Unicorn software. This bug won't be fixed until the next software upgrade so the shadowed
locations were added back to the pull-down menu.)
3. New workflow for "Circ on the fly" exchange with monograph cataloging
- Circ on the fly is shadowed, and will remain shadowed.
- If DTS finds a matching record, they will unshadow the item and transfer it to the correct cataloging record.
- If DTS does not find a matching record, they will leave it shadowed; they will NOT enhance the record, leave the home location as TECHSR and send the item to Monograph Cataloging/DBM.
- A priority slip will be put into the book noting the Library, Sublocation, shadowed item, Circ on the fly and TECHSR and other statuses in order to alert DBM of these conditions.
- Cataloging will unshadow the item and change the current location to In-Process after the full cataloging is completed. Any relabeling can be done by TAS if necessary. Perhaps the item can then be sent with the usual shipment from TAS to the Access Services Department of the appropriate library. Gracemary will confer with Acquisitions to see if this is possible.
- A policy has to be agreed to. Gracemary and Holdings team will bring a proposed policy to the next meeting.
4. Report from ISAWG
- Several groups of items to be batch withdrawn from Unicorn have been completed. Batch withdrawals were on-hold
for six months while the OCLC Institition Record issue was being resolved. More groups are planned for withdrawal
in the near future.
- The batch withdrawal scripts need to be updated for "Vale Last Copy".
- Art library has been inventoried and 700-800 titles were identified as not being in IRIS. A team will be set up
in the near future to enter brief records for these items.
- ISAWG is compiling a spreadsheet listing pending retrospective conversion projects including counts of items in
an effort to increase awareness of this issue.
5. Using "Former Title" tags and MARC holdings
- Prior to AACR2 in 1978, serials were catalogued using the "latest entry cataloging." Older titles were entered into the bibliographic record as 247 fields. After AACR2, a serial which changed its title would be closed, and a new bibliographic record created (successive entry cataloging).
- This has implications in doing the Serials Inventory Project, as someone looking for the whole run of the serial might not find all of the volumes of the serial in the same place. Attention will have to be paid and staff performing the SIP may have to go to a different shelving location to complete the barcoding of the entire serial run. If a title is done in this old way, the barcodes must be entered as item lines onto the main title, even if the volumes are shelved in a different spot.
- This also has implications in public services; if the volumes with the older titles are shelved with the current title. In this case, we must put in a separate 866 for the older title, with a public note stating that these volumes are "Shelved as "the current title." Most of the time the patron comes to the periodical shelves with a citation for the volume and issue that they need. If the old title is shelved with the new title, they may not find it. Having a note in the MARC holding will assist them in finding what they are looking for.
- More discussion and a further report will be made in the next meeting.
- Shadowed locations and Workflows to DBM will be further worked on
- 247 tags will be further addressed
- GMS-further work on Shadowed items
- GMS, CS-development of team for Art Library inventory issues
- CS, with ISAWG-spreadsheets for projects
- GMS, MT, PC-further work on workflow of items going to TAS
- GMS, MT, PC, EC-Further development of 247 policy and procedures
- Art Inventory team
- Shadowed item report
- 247 Policy and procedures
Next meeting: March 5, 2008: TBA Time: 10:00 AM
Next recorder: Steve Zahorbenski
Back up recorder: Fay Austin