STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes for September 3, 2008 meeting

Present:
Fay Austin, Iliana Bernal (via video), Paul Cabelli (recorder), Ellen Calhoun, Fatima Cunha (via video), Melissa De Fino, Janet Howard, Jamie Maguire, Andy Martinez, Rebecca Martinez, Gracemary Smulewitz (Chair), Chris Sterback, Melody Tomaszewicz
Absent:
Elizabeth Leister, Yuhwei Ling,

Agenda

  1. Check process for Item Type changes:
    - How are the changes working for inter-department work such as Cataloging-DTS/Tech Svcs, Government Publication processing, Access Services/DTS/Tech Svcs
  2. Changes for Special Collections
  3. Projects for the coming year
  4. Goals for coming year

Meeting Minutes

1. Check process for Item Type changes:

a. Does Not Circulate items: we discussed the problem of items arriving at the circ desk having been stamped Does Not Circulate and having an item type of Periodcl-Y. It was decided to allow these items to circulate. A workflow is being developed to deal with this situation. It was reported that Stephanie Bartz created some lists from certain criteria in IRIS (perhaps PERIODCL-N, class scheme LCPER). Gracemary will consult with Stephanie and Andy about lists. Also we want to develop a plan for dealing with gov docs that have DNC stamps but have item lines of PERIODCL-Y. Melody will meet with Jeff Teichman, Andy, and Rebecca to establish a policy for handling material in this category. It was also reiterated that we will no longer be stamping DNC on any items.

b. Requests for new item types and holding codes: any requests for item types or holding codes should initially be sent to Paul. He will forward requests for a new item type to Mary Beth Weber, for new circ/non-circ status of an existing item type to Bob Warwick, and for the creation of a new holdings code to Bob Warwick. Once the new designations are created, Paul will be responsible for notifying Sam McDonald to update the item type and holdings code spreadsheets located on the TSCWG Reports web page.

c. Cataloging: We reviewed some general cataloging processing guidelines, focusing on gifts. Monographic adds and all serial gifts go to DTS for analysis. Individual monographic gifts new to IRIS and all gift collections go to Gift & Unit Receipts. RECON monographic material goes to Mono Cat / DBM. If a brief record is created at DTS, then the item sent to TAS will be charged to In-process. Gracemary will send a message to the selectors outlining the workflow for processing gifts. Gracemary will send Fatima and Iliana the official addresses for sending material to Gifts Cataloging and to Monographs Cataloging at TSB. Melissa, Melody, Jamie, and Susan will update the Priority Slips used for cataloging. Gracemary will review the charge and discharge processes with Dana and Camden Technical Services staff. The "New Priority Slips" processing document pertaining to material flowing from DTS to Mono Cat/DBM needs to be reviewed by Jamie.

d. In-transit reports: Since the new item type changes took effect the material handling process is as follows: Just prior to shipment, all TAS material leaving TSB will be discharged from In-Process. This automatically assigns the material a status of in-transit. Reports have recently been run identifying all material in-transit more than 30 days. Workflows need to be developed for identifying, investigating, and handling this in-transit material on a regular basis. Chris, Andy, and Janet will look at all in-transit reports and report back to TSCWG on their findings.

2. Changes for Special Collections

SPCOL serials management is now handled by DTS staff. This includes receiving, ordering, control record creation, pre and post cataloging processing, and MARC holdings adjustments.

3. Projects for the coming year:

a. Duplicate subscription: A cancellation project for duplicate subscriptions will be started in the near future.

b. Preservation: Gracemary reported that RUL will be establishing a new preservation position, whose focus will be on print and digital preservation.

c. Weeding: An ALEX weeding project will be started in the near future. Details to be worked out regarding staff and workflow. It was suggested that RUL needs to establish a holistic weeding process/policy along with representative documentation.

d. ILS upgrade: A new SIRSI upgrade, called Symphony 3.2.1, will be loaded into our test system this month. The upgrade will go live during the winter break, possibly by Jan. 2.

4. Other topics:

a. Fay suggested that newly imported monographic records contained some unneeded MARC tags. Fay and Melissa said they would inform Chris which tags were not necessary. Chris will look into the possibility of running a script to remove these tags when new records are imported.

b. Everyone was reminded that all material from TAS that needed accompanying material processing would be handled by Jamie at LSM, and that all material from TAS that needed book plating would be handled by Katrina Zwaaf at ALEX. Furthermore, all processing of music scores will continue to be handled by Katrina.

Decisions:

  1. No longer stamp "Does Not Circulate" on any item.
  2. All requests for new item types and holding codes would be sent to Paul.

Assignments:

  1. Gracemary - will consult with Stephanie and Andy about "Does Not Circulate" lists.
  2. Melody - will meet with Jeff Teichmann, Andy, and Rebecca to review the Access Services desk processing procedures for dealing with "Does Nor Circulate" stamped material having Periodcl-Y status.
  3. Melissa, Melody, Jamie, and Susan - will update the Priority Slips used for cataloging
  4. Jamie - will review the "New Priority Slips" processing document pertaining to DTS/DBM workflow.
  5. Gracemary - will review the charge and discharge processes with Dana and Camden Technical Services staff.
  6. Gracemary - will send a message to the selectors outlining the workflow for processing gifts
  7. Chris, Andy, Janet - will look at in-transit reports and report back to TSCWG
  8. Fay, Melissa, and Chris - will consult on how to remove unwanted MARC tags from imported records

Pending:

  1. Goals for coming year.

Next meeting: December 3, 2008 LSM 10:00 am
[Note: the October and November meetings were cancelled]
Next recorder: Fay Austin
Back up recorder: Ellen Calhoun



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/ts-core/minutes/holdings_wg_08-09-03.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)