Minutes for October 12, 2011 meeting
- I. Bernal, remote; P. Cabelli; E. Calhoun; E. Leister; J. Maguire; T. MacNally, remote; G. Smulewitz, recorder; C. Sterback; E. Suarez; M. Tomaszewicz; R. Wells
- F. Austin; R. Martinez
Report from DTS:
- Introduction of new members
- Consolidation of print serials and indexes
- Last copy policy
- New Guidelines for weeding
- Index and Abstracts
Goals for 2012
Responsibilities in a changing environment – open discussion
- Review of URLs in A-Z
- Duplicate records for electronic material
- Reporting problems
The agenda was reviewed and accepted via email with no comments or changes.
Introductions – new members
Rita Wells, Receiving and Order Coordinator in DTS, and Edward Suarez , Collection Management
Coordinator in Access Services, were introduced.
Consolidation of print serials and indexes
The group agreed that a committee be reintroduced representing the various functions required to
perform weeding and consolidation projects.
The members are now:
- Iliana Bernal – Dana, Technical Services
- Ellen Calhoun – LSM, Government Documents
- Jamie Maguire , DTS, Project Coordinator
- Terry McNally, Robeson, Access and
- Eddie Suarez- Access Services- Collection Maintenance
- Melody Tomaszwicz- DTS, Holdings Management
- Chris Sterback – IIS, TAS, Ad Hoc
The main contacts for the committee and for the projects will be Jamie Maguire as the Project
Coordinator and Eddie Suarez as the Collections Management Coordinator.
The committee will
- Create a coherent workflow for weeding and serial consolidation.
- Create a document for monitoring projects that will include
- an approximation of the number of items to be evaluated,
- a point person for the project,
- those working on the project
- the expected start and completion dates of the project.
- Project progress
- Develop reports for the project – determine format of report.
- Insure that the appropriate policies are followed, such as: Last Copy Policy, Annex Retention policy, Consolidation and Retention Policy for Print Indexes and Abstracts.
- Create a means of communication among selectors , staff and the committee, similar to the Serials Team, for starting weeding projects or getting information about them.
- Work through the councils and various collection groups to get directives for priority projects.
Other issues related to weeding
Smulewitz will notify LRC of the role of the committee and what the committee hopes to implement.
TSCWG members reviewed the new Consolidation and Retention Policy for Print Indexes and Abstracts.
In particular, the section below that is related to supplementary material was discussed. Members
agreed that the selectors would be responsible for listing related supplementary materials in their
weeding decisions and not relying on those who perform the record updates to know which materials
Complete runs would be understood to include all necessary supplementary materials that complement
the printed index. Some examples of these supplementary print materials would be index guides,
thesauri, separate author indexes, journal coverage lists, 5 or 10 year cumulative author/subject
indexes, and/or abridged partner indexes.
VI. Preliminary review of the charge from the VALE OLE Implementation Team
TSCWG members conducted a preliminary review of the charge from the VALE OLE Implementation Team
(VOIT) to the VALE Cooperative Collection Management (VCCM) and discussed how it relates to the work
that members of TSCWG perform. The first phase of the charge is to remove items from participating
libraries’ catalogs that reflect lost, missing or long overdue material in order to promote seamless
and transparent lending . As VCCM provides more information, TSCWG members will prepare to carry out
VII. Staff from DTS described projects being worked on that that have a system-wide impact.
- Staff are reviewing and subsequently removing or adjusting non-functioning or unnecessary urls in catalog records.. Members of TSCWG were reminded to report problems related to this category of urls to the Serials Team.
- Duplicate records for the same title are being consolidated where one record is an Ebsco load record and one an RUL record. DTS is working with Continuing Resource Cataloging and IIS on this project. The percentage of duplicates is quite high. An estimate will be offered at the next meeting. Paul Cabelli of DTS is coordinating this project and will send TSCWG examples of the duplicate records.
- Members were reminded to report problems related to all electronic resources to the Serials Team, RUL_Serials@email.rutgers.edu.
The last two agenda items were held for the next TSCWG meeting.
Dates for the quarterly meetings will be on the 2nd Thursday of the month.
Next meeting will be January 12th;
Next recorder: F. Austin, I. Bernal, P Cabelli
Subsequent meetings: April 12th, July 12th