Title Changes in RUL: Basic Workflow
Note: for items received through the Federal Depository program, follow established
When a title change is recognized,
- Brief record is created in IRIS for the new title.
- Serial Control records linked to the brief record are created for all library units that currently subscribe to the title.
- Order records are transferred from the old title to the new title.
- Issues being sent to Serials Cataloging are indicated by 'Sent to Cataloging ' notes in the MARC Holdings 866 tags of the old title and new title records. Any bound volume being sent to cataloging also has its Current Location changed to 'IN-PROCESS'.
- A Serials Cataloging Worksheet, listing all precat and post cat processes specific to this title change, is filed in the department.
- Title change information is added to the Bib/Cat Excel Database located on the Alex T:drive.
- A precataloging package is prepared for Serials Cataloging. This includes a Serials Processing Form, any necessary bibliographic utility printouts, and the last issue of the old title and the first issue of the new title.
- Serials Cataloging updates IRIS records and sends material back to the department for standard postcat processes.
Addendum: Title Changes Initiated in Serials Cataloging
These generally fall into two types:
- Changes discovered in cataloging a back run of a serial - the back run may be discovered when cataloging an online journal package.
- Changes discovered when a new, separately ordered, item is received in Acquisitions and is determined to be a serial title change. This latter type is generally brought to Serials Cataloging from Monographs Cataloging.
- OT title is closed bibliographically.
- NT is created; item created for item in hand.
- Copies of OT and NT records sent to all Bib/Cat staff owning the OT with instructions to close MARC holdings and remove controls on OT; add MARC holdings, control, and items, if applicable, to NT; transfer order if necessary.