STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of April 5, 2001 Meeting

Present:
J. Boyle, M. Chumer, H. Dess, E. Calhoun, T. Haynes (recorder), R. Marker, A. Montanaro, M. Page, L. Sak, S. Soong, G. Smulewitz.

Next Meeting: Changed to May 10 (from original May 3 date).

Samson Soong:

Introduced Ned Richards, the new Technical Services Coordinator for the Dana Library.

Unicorn software upgrade will necessitate the use of the Read Only system from May 23- 24, to load the new software and to build a unified index. A second "down time" will be the last two weeks of August, beginning after the last summer session, which ends Wednesday August 15. This time is for loading authorities and to rebuild the indexes. IPAC and Public Services will study the impact of this addition of authorities to the LIS.

VALE currently provides 18 databases, 7 of which RUL subscribes to. In its Mon. April 2 agreement, VALE recommended that it no longer subsidize Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe, but instead subsidize Ebsco's Premiere index, with 2800 full-text titles, more than 2000 of which are peer-reviewed, and with 4000 titles indexed. ABI will continue to be subsidized. CINAHL and PsycInfo will be available through Ebsco. At Rutgers, VALE's providing the Ebsco Premiere database will not necessarily preclude RUL continuing to also have ProQuest Research Library. The impact of these changes in database products and vendorson Rutgers cataloging is not immediately clear.

ELF money: $1.4 million will be for replacement and new equipment, including LUNA, which allows storage and management of image collections. These could include slide images on CD. The LUNA front-end relates to back-end databases. It needs metadata (cataloging) preprocessing and postprocessing which will be work intensive. The staffing implications are enormous, and include coordination with the Zimmerli, the Art Department, and many others such as Biology. The high resolution is great.

Rhonda Marker:

Filling 3 vacancies: a Librarian III (line has been ungraded from a Librarian V), and a range 13 and range 18 for database management.

Authority control implementation group is Rhonda and Bob Warwick. They've created a timeline, outlined issues like training, and gap tapes. There is a 21 month gap period from the 1st submission to when the gap tape is created. The read only period for the catalog will be from August 16 to Labor Day. Annual reindexing will be done as well as authorities implementation. Read Only can't support RRS or ILL requests online, reserves processing, or serials check-in, and the circulation status will that as of August 15.

Lida Sak and others are submitting fields to be sure not to lose in the process.

Ann Montanaro:

2 vacancies: network administrator position has had some applications, but none yet for Karen Oster's position.

Systems is installing Timetrack 2000 software and a new server.

Mary Page:

Acquisitions is up to date on state fund orders.

Substantial non-state fund orders are backed up.

End-processing is caught up, thanks to an army of students over spring break.

Unicorn upgrade-after-next was expected to have acquisitions wizards, but now will not. So training will be provided in July for CDC and selectors on the old system.

The ARL licensing session that Mary attended was excellent. As a result she will be rereading many contracts, and now knows better what to insist on in licenses in the future. M. Page, J. Boyle, and R. Sewell will update RUL's policies.

Acquisitions is still accepting state fund orders and but gives no guarantees that the orders will be received and paid this fiscal.

SciFinder Scholar allows ACS in tracking individual use of the database. Howard noted that back files are now available all the way back to 1907, vol. 1 no. 1 of Chemical Abstracts.

2000/01 TS Goals and Objectives Progress Review:

Continue to create recon records and add all RUL copies to existing online records: This is currently being done in two processes:

a. Technical Services receives previously unbarcoded items which circulate. This triggers a process in Access/Technical/ Collection Services to add to existing record or to have retrospective conversion done to create full bib record. Brief records for Camden and Kilmer will not be affected by this process as all items are barcoded. TS is handling several hundred per month in this process, and it's fairly quick.

b. Shelf list based process: TS has already pulled 27,000 machine created cataloging cards 1980+, and 40,000 machine created 1975-1980. They're searching every title of the remaining cards. Currently working on Alex cards. If Alex is on the catalog record, they discard the card. If Alex is not on the cat record, they will add Alex, and barcode the book in the Alex stacks (make weekly trips to do this). They are upgrading to full cataloging if necessary. If there is no catalog record, the shelf list card is marked and put back for future record conversion.

c. Ellen Calhoun asked about the list of government documents cataloged for Camden or Dana which do not have Alex/LSM on the record. These will be done as "new adds".

Load EEBO records into IRIS:

All received (59,528 of 96,000) have been loaded. A technical delay from Bell & Howell has held up the rest.

Consider purchasing records for US depository documents, 1976-present:

Government documents bib records needed: about 516,000. Cost from Marchive not so bad. But requires additional expensive labor-intensive profiling, e.g., which items does RUL have and where. Also continuing maintenance of the records will be required. Is this a possible PROP?

Work with appropriate selectors to identify groups of materials appropriate for collection-level records with finding aids and make existing finding aids available on websites:

None new this year, though some selectors have nominated collections worthy of such coverage. The record for art auction catalogs was given as an example of a collection level record done in the past. They have many headings, and are linked to an online finding aid that lists each item. Cataloging creates this initially, but expects the unit that houses the collection to maintain the record.

Prepare for the implementation of authority control in IRIS:

This was discussed earlier in the meeting, see above.

Implement the SIRSI booking module:

This has been implemented. Much of the effort to make this work was expended on adapting it to handle smart classroom and equipment booking, rather than the media material. Now TEC is taking over the equipment and smart classroom booking, but of course cannot take advantage of the SIRSI module.

Continue to explore impact of implementing US MARC holdings:

Implementation of MARC holdings is do-able at this point. The exploration group has been working with IPAC to agree on labelling. They have implemented it in the test system. Gracemary will put the pilot project report on the RUL website. After the demo, which was postponed from this meeting to the May 10 meeting because the test system is down, we will talk about implementation in the live system.

Review and further streamline local and central technical services workflow:

TS has been doing this, using FASTCAT. At present, we are importing records from LC, but we are planning to begin using RLIN for FASTCAT as well. RLIN will allow us to import records with diacritics, which we cannot do with LC records. Serials ordering has been streamlined, especially for electronic journals. In NB, TS workflow has been streamlined: receiving consolidated to two locations, bindery to be done that way too, and claiming.

Provide training and other appropriate means for upgrading staff skills:

Linda Turzynski has coordinated much Sirsi training this year, has held lots of sessions. Bringing in the SIRSI trainer helped NB processes, and sometimes demonstrated how well RUL was using the system.

Little has been done to upgrade staff skills outside SIRSI ones. They especially need pc skills. Staff should be urged to use RUCS training. The Training Coordinator position has been posted.

Identify, inventory, and support digitization projects in the Libraries and consider cataloging existing digital projects at RU:

See RUNet 2000 web page for digitization projects at Rutgers University. This type of inventory was done by a group other than the libraries. Perhaps RUL should still catalog the best, or most useful/popular of these.

Consider the use of metadata, Dublin Core, or other emerging standards for cataloging web projects; develop and provide technical expertise and support for RUL digital projects:

We're working on standards within RUL to be used across all digital/we-based projects. Pilot group may use Mary Lou Williams or Benny Carter as pilot for representations for retrieval. Pilot group could issue interim reports/alerts on their progress.

Increase data storage facilities and improve infrastructure for DLI initiatives:

Lots of this has been done. Money for infrastructure improvement have been spent to improve the infrastructure of the digital documents delivery system that includes the e-reserve system, the Rutgers Request Service, and a complete network printing layout. With ELF, we will upgrade servers for IRIS, for proxy and webpage, and for e-reserves. Expect greater demand for the last. We will also replace all Novell servers that support staff workstations. These are to be used for RRS/ILL and eventually for transmitting to desktops. Digital microfilm reader-printers will also be purchased. Networked printing is being put in the Chemistry and Physics libraries.

Work with vendors and others to identify new technical services approaches appropriate for RUL:

Labeling experience, working with SIRSI, has been poor. Incentive to look at outsourcing to purchase shelf-ready books. Serials processing, especially for electronic, could be improved with vendor service, perhaps. Electronic claiming is stalled with departure of Karen Oster, until her position is filled.

Identify funding sources and prepare grant proposals for recon and cataloging projects:

Recon is being done with New Jersey Historical Commission funding (operations grant) through Special Collections for NJ documents. The Sinclair Collection cataloging has received it's second year of funding. Showalter cataloging is completed; Diamond is being worked on.

A problem is experienced with serials cataloging because of big packages, their and individual titles' changes and workload clumps. As we continue to purchase big electronic packages, the clumps will even out and the whole flood will continue to rise.

To try to stabilize URL's, purl was mentioned, but it was noted that although the software is available, the setup and maintenance is manual. PURL's might be useful to setup for RU digital projects.

Cataloging with call numbers was questioned for electronic resources.

We could add note to electronic resources field about libraries that have SciFinder Scholar and Beilstein on reference workstations and change from Ref with call number to Electronic Resource and Online. The Public Services Council will be consulted about this suggested change.

MARC holdings demo was postponed because the test system is down.

Deletion of old SIRSI Order Records at year-end:

In the old system, claiming of non serial orders was ad hoc. This year Acquisitions is reviewing old order records. They will delete really old ones, freeing up encumbered funds. Libraries will be notified of cancelled orders. In future, probably after 6 months for domestic and 12-18 months for foreign orders, they will be cancelled, and selectors notified so they can decide whether they want to reorder the item.

Next Meeting: Changed to May 10 from original May 3 date.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/tsc/minutes/tsc_01_04_05.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)