STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of Thursday, February 7, 2002 Meeting

Present:
G. Agnew, Chair; J. Boyle; E. Calhoun; T. Haynes; R. Jantz; M. Joseph; A. Montanaro; M. Page; H. Perez-Gilbe; N. Richards; L. Sak; R. Sewell; G. Smulewitz (recorder)

1. AUL UPDATE:

Grace Agnew reported on new projects for this year.

Initiatives to establish Rutgers Libraries Gateway -

The Association of Moving Image Archivists’ Moving Image Gateway – AMIA MIG (handout provided)

G. Agnew has consulted on a project for the Moving Image Gateway of AMIA, focusing on the design of a catalog. The participation in the program is international, not just American. The intent is to have a flexible architecture that promotes collaborative participation. The components of the design include a directory, a cataloging facility, a union catalog, a portal, a web presence and outreach and education space.

A report of this project was given to the Library of Congress with the hope that LC would agree to host the gateway for 1-2 years and LC has agreed. An application for an NSF grant is now being prepared. The deadline for the grant is April and the results will be announced in August of 2002.

Two technological advancements have aided in the development and use of the gateway.

Internet II – ( five years old) a high speed internet with an OC-12 layer of bandwidth. Internet II has been migrated to all nations. IP version-6 adds more characters to the Internet allowing it to be used by countries like China. G. Agnew is a consultant with the Internet II development.

LDAP – Lightweight Directory Access Protocol – an open protocol that allows any application to run on any computer platform to obtain directory information. Since LDAP is an open protocol applications will not be restricted by the type of server hosting the directory.

The structure of the AMIA directory has been changed to LDAP allowing for dynamic Web-pages where the metadata is format independent.

Following the context of the AMIA directory, Rutgers Libraries can develop a base for faculty and staff to manage their own literature. Open Archives and core elements would be part of the architecture. This platform would be valuable for VALE as well as Rutgers. The construct will intersect FEDORA architecture (Flexible and Extensible Digital Object and Repository Architecture).

This initiative along with others to come will require special skills, therefore a task force is being formed at TAS to report to the Training Committee to develop training programs.

Names to follow in related special initiatives:

Carolyn Arms/Karl Fleischauer- METS- Metadata Coding and Transmission Standard

Michael Nelson – NASA – Bucket Architecture

PC Working Group Initiative -

John Maxymuk a member of the PC Working Group – is investigating a systemic approach for developing minimal standards for managing our computers.

SCC & Systems Initiative -

SCC and the Systems department will work together to develop minimal imaging standards that conform to digital archiving–write to Website. The use of MySQL for faculty and students will be explored as an easy way to build collections that can be brought into our systems. It has been suggested to begin by reaching out to Cook College in order to strengthen our collections in the sciences.

J. Boyle and G. Agnew are comparing OCLC and RLG and the benefits of using either with respect to electronic resources. There may be greater benefits with OCLC.

2. ALA report –

M. Page –

Attended a program discussing the soft launch of SFX at The University of Chicago. Patrons discovered the SFX capabilities during routine usage and liked it. The University is building a knowledge base which defines links based on patron feedback.

SIRSI demonstrated a prototype of SFX technology called “One Search.” The user can search across resources. We should keep an eye on the development and release.

Evaluated several serial control products:
1. Serials Solutions
2. TDNet
3. Journal Website

RUL is interested in using a serials control product to manage title and holding information for the many electronic journal titles offered through aggregators.

Two demonstrations are being offered at RU in February- Journal Webcite and TDNet. The dates are 2/15 and 2/19 respectively. Everyone is invited to attend.

M. Page reported on the Kisley and Jordon ACRL Serials Survey on electronic serials. The intent of the survey was to determine how libraries are coping with the use and management of electronic resources. A significant number of academic institutions shared similar management techniques regarding the handling of these resources.

A.Montanaro –

Examined a cross database searching product. – it can serve the needs of the library in the future. Found that vendors are looking for directions on what libraries want and what to develop. The vendors are looking for suggestions on what the product should become.

Attended a SIRSI large library users meeting. - SIRSI purchased DRA – they have taken over the operations for TAOS. SIRSI has moved 70 people from DRA into development. SIRSI hopes that DRA users will migrate to SIRSI. Ann suggested that Rutgers host a meeting at the end of Spring Break for DRA users to demonstrate and field questions about the SIRSI system.

3. SYSTEMS PROJECTS– A. Montanaro

1. Missing Records - Special collections is missing records that were sent to OCLC to be loaded to RLG. It is difficult to determine the number of records missing but the months that this took place have been identified. RUL will have to pay for all the records in that time frame because we don’t know what records are missing. A significant percentage of the 9,336 records that were done are missing.

2. LUNA – was paid for before there were budget problems. The purchase order got there in January. The Oracle based operating system has been set up. Two people have gone for training. Maps and art slides are available for loading, but there are copyright issues. A conference call is scheduled for the afternoon to discuss issues. The plan is to load images in California and after they are evaluated training will be conducted at RUL. RUL is looking at LUNA for E-Reserves. The question of how images will be offered in E-Reserves has been raised. It will be possible to make collections available by Professors’ names.

3. ELF – Libraries received 1.4 million in ELF money. The libraries submitted seven different proposals. Some of the proposals have mixed items. Some are high priority and some need further reviewing.

a. 314 computers are available for replacement in Public areas. The new computers have Windows 2000 installed. The network printing software does not support Windows 2000. The installation will begin at DANA since DANA does not provide network printing. This will be followed by installation at Chemistry, Physics and SERC.

b. Replacement of all building Novell servers.

c. Purchasing Digital Microform equipment which allows the user to create digital images from microform. A demonstration is being given at Kilmer today at 3 p.m.

d. Purchase of instructional equipment

e. Preservation proposal – has 3 components

i. Digital Preservation

ii. Sound Equipment

iii. Deacidification device for Special Collections Lab.

4. Report of Work Group for Adding Catalog Records for the Federal Depository Collections - Ellen Calhoun, Chair – (handout)

There are 4 million documents in RUL collection. If RUL loaded the total MARCIVE backfile it would only cover 400,000. An annual report from GPO stated that 59% of the titles that they distribute are electronic access only.

The committee recommends:

a. Subscribe to the MARCIVE Shipping List Service and the enhanced GPO database service for new receipts beginning in March 2002. Using the subscription service means that catalog cards will no longer be typed and the documents card catalog can be closed.

b. Purchase a customized retrospective extraction with matching authority records in blocks that span definitive time periods. Start with 15,092 records spanning 1995-2002 as a pilot project. Of this period, 4,488 records will be totally electronic and will need no processing. The remaining 10,604 will be inventoried and barcoded. The pilot project can begin in August of 2002. The data from the project will be used to analyze the approach to the remaining backfile.

c. An important issue in the process is being able to eliminate all duplicative records. The Systems department will try to write a script that allows the records to match on a unique identifier.

d. The cost of the current subscription to the Shipping List Service and the enhanced GPO database service is $4,050/yr. The cost of the pilot project including labor is estimated to be $8,751.30. The total cost for both the pilot and current subscription is: $12,801.30 .

Funding priorities of projects now being considered are:

The Technical Services Council recommends purchasing the MARCIVE subscription for the Shipping List Service and enhanced records and to purchase the backfile for the pilot project. This decision will be brought to Cabinet for a final commitment



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/tsc/minutes/tsc_02_02_07.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)