STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of May 13, 2004 Meeting

Present:
G. Agnew, K. Au, R. Bogan, J. Boyle, E. Calhoun, M. Joseph, A. Montanaro, R. Marker, M. Page, R. Sewell, G. Smulewitz, J. Still (via teleconference), M.B. Weber (recorder) Guests:
J. Howard, J. Johnson, L. Turzynski
Absent:
K. Denda, J. Niessen, V. Pelote

1. AUL's Report - G. Agnew

G. Agnew reported on the recent CNI meeting that Marianne Gaunt and she attended. CNI has chosen Fedora rather than D Space for their work on institutional repositories. Rutgers did not choose D Space for our institutional repository since it strictly adheres to Dublin Core and is not METS compliant. A number of institutions have chosen Fedora for their projects. D Space is being rewritten and simplified, and will eventually be METS compliant.

G. Agnew attended a presentation on Shibboleth. A user interface is being developed that will permit institutions to establish rights management for individual projects. RUL has a strong bias toward open access to information, and Shibboleth uses active privacy requests. Many vendors have implemented Shibboleth. Additionally, Shibboleth has an active partnership with Fedora. George Laskaris and G. Agnew are serving as co-primary investigators on a grant with RUCS to implement Shibboleth statewide.

G. Agnew attended a presentation on the SAKAI Project, a community software project founded by the University of Michigan, Indiana University, MIT, Stanford, the uPortal Consortium, and the Open Knowledge Initiative. A module will be produced to develop online course catalogs. It will provide the ability to pull in all course materials and will use Fedora. The project is seeking development partners. The admission price is $10,000.

M. Gaunt attended a presentation by Stanford about working with faculty and focus groups. She will try to obtain a copy of the survey that was implemented by Stanford.

G. Agnew's MIC presentation was well received. Her presentation resulted in an invitation being extended to a group from Princeton to visit Rutgers to view Fedora.

2. TSC Goals

TSC goals for 2003-4 were distributed for discussion. The mid-year report will be distributed later.

Goal 1: Workflow analysis for government documents electronic records process- This has been a big success and there is no question of the benefits to users. The process is labor intensive, and there is no immediate solution to this issue.

Goal 2: Increased integration and efficiency of selection and acquisition processes- G. Agnew commended M. Page on the stellar selection of a new vendor for books, Yankee Book Peddler (YBP). YBP will provide us with excellent technology to facilitate the selection and acquisition processes.

M. Page reported that YBP visited last week and that she also visited YBP sites around the state. We have already begun sending them orders and have been receiving books. She also reported that the Journals A-Z list is almost ready to go.

Goal 3: Systems calendar- A. Montanaro is looking at how to stratify by strategic initiative. There will be private and public versions of the calendar.

Goal 4: Determine the next steps for Collection Management, building on the investigations of ISAUG- ISAUG's recommendations will be followed. Dana will test an inventory system in the next year as part of the new technical services workflow.

ISAUG has also recommended implementation of wireless technology for the Libraries' annexes. It is unclear how this will work for library stacks, and may be a better choice for standalone annexes.

ISAUG's recommendations include global transfer and batch withdrawals, which will also be part of the new technical services workflow.

LincPlus implementation for bindery operations has been a success. RUL requested a lot of customization, and additional copies of the software have been purchased.

Goal 5: Support and approve the development of an Information Security Plan- A number of the changes suggested by the security group have been implemented. The remaining changes suggested by them will be implemented in the near future.

Goal 6: Identify all distributed Technical Services tasks that occur beyond the TAS building- This Task Force was asked to defer their work until some workflow changes were implemented at Dana Library. Work will soon commence on this.

Core processes and standards across all campuses will be identified.

G. Agnew noted that TSC has largely achieved all the goals it had set. DAWG and the Data Arch Committee also report to the TSC and have been productive.

3. Moving Image Collections (MIC) Project Overview and Demo - Jane Johnson, MIC Manager for the Library of Congress and Visiting Scholar, Rutgers University Libraries

G. Agnew introduced J. Johnson, and noted that she formerly worked at UCLA's Film Archive and serves on the Archival Moving Image Association's (AMIA) Board of Governors.

J. Johnson explained that the MIC is an effort to catalog moving image collections worldwide. Since there is no one standard available for moving images a multi-tiered approach was needed. A core semantic bibliographic registry was developed to describe moving images in a consistent manner. There are 46 data elements that form the core registry. The MIC provides different portals that facilitate customization for various user communities.

The project had seven alpha sites, and all of them have science collections. There were also several alpha sites with humanities collections. The MIC is accessible at http://mic.imtc.gatech.edu/. The union catalog database currently contains about 270,000 records and three quarters of the alpha implementers' records have been loaded.

R. Marker will serve as the Primary Investigator for a grant involving the MIC and four other digital projects. If funded, the grant will be used to develop a metadata (cataloging) utility that can be used to build a METS-compliant digital collection. It will support MODS, MARC, MPEG-7, and DC-Education metadata.

CNN will soon begin working with the MIC. CNN records have a native SMPTE format.

4. Dana Library Technical Services Workflow Evaluation Project - Linda Turzynski

L. Turzynski reported that she has been working at Dana Library three days a week as part of a five-month assignment. She acknowledged the assistance and guidance of M. Page, J. Howard, and G. Smulewitz. The issues she addressed at Dana are serials check-in, bindery operations, and order information. To date, there have been significant and measurable accomplishments. Real processes are now in place. Documentation and procedures have been drafted. Claiming has been streamlined. Periodicals titles have been bound and are now available to the public. Cross-training was provided to alleviate the problem of previously segmented responsibilities. False encumbrances have been identified and settled. Real efficiencies have been achieved, and the staff now has more time to devote to a wider range of responsibilities. Additionally, the staff has gained a better understanding of their job responsibilities. Another benefit of the evaluation is that a book repair unit will be established at Dana.

L. Turzynski noted that there is a lingering problem of a culture of separatism. A perception exists in technical services that there are two (or three) distinct units. She is working to foster an understanding that the staff comprise one team.

G. Agnew and L. Turzynski have drafted a job description that has been submitted to L. Mullins for consideration.

5. SIRSI Annual Conference Reports - A. Montanaro, R. Marker, J. Howard

A. Montanaro reported that she attended the conference to learn about new products and directions, and to see what our peer institutions are doing. She gained a sense of where we should be heading.

RUL should eventually move from the current Informix database to an Oracle database. The basic reason for the change for is for Unicode support, which is not available with Informix. Oracle would also enable the use of additional third-party services and custom report writing with products like Crystal Reports. Sirsi requires 6 months preparation time to migrate a site to Oracle and the conversion will require some downtime.

SIRSI will be on campus on May 28 to demo products and services.

WebCat will not be further developed. iLink is the next step for SIRSI. Many products are provided through iLink, including things like book jackets and publishers' blurbs.

A. Montanaro attended a presentation on the Director's Station. This product would allow us to copy the database onto another server nightly. It is a drag and drop operation. It will allow us to write reports, etc. without any interruptions to service.

A. Montanaro reported on new releases. The 2004 release will look entirely different for WorkFlows. There will be lots of good possibilities for sorting and provides "truer" Windows. The 2003 release is currently running at RUL. The 2003.1 release is available and will be tested and loaded over the July 4 weekend. The 2003.1 release will need to be tested in preparation for 2004. The big change provided by 2003.1 is that 1XX/240 Uniform titles will be linked to authority control records. This is particularly important for music materials.

J. Howard reported on two sessions that she attended. LSU and Penn State are using the 9XX ordering feature and X12. Both institutions use YBP as their vendor. The 9XX ordering feature allows ordering from a vendor's Web site, and permits users to import and upload records with imbedded information.

X12 is an EDI standard and we can go live with it at RUL. With X12, we can initiate orders and FTP them to a vendor. It has been tested at RUL with Harrosowitz. Vendor Web sites are not needed when using X12.

J. Howard noted that she saw the potential for selectors to use the Director's Station to run statistical reports. This would eliminate the need to schedule such reports.

R. Marker noted that Chris Sterback co-presented a session on Keyboard Express Macros that was well received.

R. Marker reported on her conference presentation that discussed loading non-OCLC records into Unicorn. The vast majority of Unicorn sites get their bibliographic records from OCLC. The match point used is the OCLC control number. Her presentation explored what can be done when using materials that do not contain an OCLC number. RUL loads records from a number of sources. She discussed the difficulties of loading these records since the Unicorn match point algorithm is limited to the Title Control Key.

R. Marker noted that all presentations made at the Sirsi Super Conference are available online at http://superconference.info. Contact Systems for the login and password.

R. Marker attended a presentation on usability testing and interface design given by two librarians from Penn State. An assessment of Penn State's online catalog was conducted, and 18 participants were recruited. The users were divided into two groups, novice and experienced. The users were asked to complete 5 tasks and to think out loud as they proceeded to enable those conducting the testing to test protocol analysis techniques. The experienced users' voice and keyboard/screen movements were captured on Camtasia, which showed their keyboard searching activities.

6. Proposal- SIRSI WorkFlows Beta Testers - A. Montanaro

A. Montanaro was asked at the SIRSI Super Conference if RUL is willing to serve as a beta test site for release 2004 of WorkFlows. The client will be loaded on some machines to test the functionality of the software. Testing will be limited to the circulation and cataloging modules, which are fully developed for release 2004. RUL's success with LincPlus development led SIRSI to approach A. Montanaro on behalf of RUL. RUL receives no compensation for the testing, and is asked to keep our beta participation confidential.

The LIS group has met and discussed this idea and recommends it. LIS will oversee the testing. SIRSI has instituted a number of wizards and now wants to streamline the process. It is A. Montanaro's hope that if RUL begins with the testing process we will be permitted to continue testing the remaining modules when they are released later in the year.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/tsc/minutes/tsc_04_05_13.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)