STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of January 12, 2006 Meeting

Present:
Grace Agnew (chair), Ka-Neng Au, Rebecca Gardner, Erika Gorder, Rhonda Marker, Ann Montanaro, Robert Sewell, Jane Sloan, Gracemary Smulewitz, Li Sun, Mary Beth Weber (recorder)
Excused:
Jeanne Boyle, Ron Jantz, Mary Page

1. Adjournment

The meeting came to order at 9:35 a.m.

2. Review of minutes from December 2006 meeting

The minutes were approved as distributed.

3. AUL's Report- G. Agnew

Digital video: G. Agnew reported that the trial for digital video on demand for New Jersey libraries would soon begin. There are many unanswered questions about what the vendor can provide and how the process will take place. OIRT wants to move forward with digital video. Jeanne Boyle is the Libraries representative to OIRT. She will attend a summit meeting on Friday to discuss how RUL might proceed with digital video.

NJDH: NJDH is going strong, and recently added NJN as a new partner. Access to historical information will be available through the archives of the "Reports Roundtable" television program. This will be valuable to those doing research on New Jersey.

This led to a discussion of whether we should provide lectures on demand. This information will not be part of our repository. This kind of information has traditionally been housed in the Archives (examples include the Dalai Lama's address and a recent visit by Jane Goodall).

Copyright issues and ownership of videos was discussed. Live performances are a gray area, and possibly are not addressed in the RUL copyright policy.

Production will be left to the departments.

Announcements:

Mary Beth Weber announced that the Special Formats Cataloger/Assistant Head of Cataloging position would soon be posted. This position is using the line from the former Head of Database Management position, and has been rewritten to include a broader range of responsibilities.

Jane Sloan announced the development of the Performing Arts Multimedia Lab, and asked how TAS would approach this facility in terms of production. The question was raised as to how the facility will be developed, maintained, and promoted. Francoise Puniello is the point person for the Lab.

2. FY 2006 Technical Services Goals

Goals for the FY 2006 year were discussed.

Goal 1: Develop, implement, maintain, support and expose the Rutgers Digital Repository.

The following issues were raised: Strike the word "expose," and substitute "promote." A timeline for reports and deliverables was discussed, as well as the role of TSC in the implementation of this goal.

A name has been chosen for the repository: RUcore, which stands for "Rutgers University Community Repository." This means that it is now possible to get the repository Web site up and running. WAC will feature the repository prominently on the RUL page.

The need for liaisons to solicit faculty needs and bring them back to us was discussed. The group discussed what could be done at this time, such as creating test beds to build out our existing functionalities. R. Marker and the Faculty Services and Applications Working Group expect to have something for the faculty at the end of January.

Suggestions were made to run articles in key publications such as the Rutgers Magazine and the Focus. Information on the review process for submitting project proposals will be made available on the repository Web site.

We will start by providing faculty with core services for which there is no charge. In cases where the University does not fund projects, faculty and departments will have to pay for our services.

Three approaches were suggested for liaisons:

  1. Liaisons publicize the repository
  2. Specific liaisons will serve as repository spokespersons
  3. Pair existing departmental liaisons with a technical person from the repository, such as the Repository Manager or a spokesperson.

Specific areas will be targeted. Liaisons can poll their respective departments and provide suggestions regarding projects.

The issue of cataloging collections was discussed. Archives are not able to provide item level cataloging for large sets of materials (10,000 papers, for example). Is it feasible to expect to provide full level cataloging for each object in the WMS? G. Agnew suggested linking to finding aids and providing access through EAD.

Deliverables:

  1. Develop hands-on expertise
  2. Run articles to publicize the repository
  3. Follow up on the technical overview with the Faculty Services and Applications Working Group.
  4. Develop a business model
  5. Determine a shared workload. Decide what is appropriate for us to handle, and what the departments can do.

G. Agnew will add "shared workload" as an agenda discussion item for the February meeting.

Goal 2: Support effective and sustainable ongoing collection management

The first objective is to "Complete the RUL serials inventory." G. Smulewitz noted that the Holdings Team, not the Serials Team, is doing the inventory. She is developing skills on all three campuses and the inventory is 80% complete for active subscriptions.

The inventory is following a staged approach starting from active open subscriptions to all serial holdings. They are currently completing the active subscription holdings. They are doing a continuous evaluation with strategic deadlines for completion of various categories of serials.

4. Media Survey Report- E. Gorder

E. Gorder provided an overview of the report. She stressed that University Archives and Special Collections are two subunits.

The inventory is multifunctional and descriptive. There are a number of challenges associated with conducting the survey. It currently contains about 1,000 records. The film and video collections of University Archives are largely done. The archives from RU-TV have been integrated into this collection. She is also merging collections from four geographically separate collections, and is unifying and renumbering the collections. The second part of the inventory will focus on manuscript collections.

E. Gorder is working to include other collections in the inventory, such as Media Services and IJS. She is also including audio in the inventory.

Needs were not identified in the report, and E. Gorder will submit and budget and outline of needs.

5. Electronic Theses and Dissertations- A. Montanaro

The ETD Committee is working with the Graduate School of New Brunswick (GSNB), where the majority of dissertations will be done. The committee has taken all paper documents provided to them and have converted them to PDF.

A multi-part form, available on the ETDs page, is used by students to register. The form is used to collect all associated information about students. The department does not want students to complete the forms online, and prefers that they download and complete them. The form used to pay UMI may be removed from the ETDs page.

Submission process: (1) Students go to the RUcore Web site and link to the ETDs page.

(2) Students use the pull-down to select the appropriate school, and the student registers. Eventually, the University LDAP directory will be used to authenticate students using their NetID and password.

(3) ETDs are imported from the student's desktop into a customized version of the Open Journals Source platform. The margins are automatically changed. The submission process will take place year-round, and will not be linked to graduation. There may be some ETDs ready for May graduation.

(4) The final dissertation requires signatures. Electronic signatures are currently not available, and will need to be scanned in. The ETD moves into the WMS, catalogers will check the cataloging, and the ETD moves into the repository. The original and a PDF copy are maintained.

(5) ETDs are exported as MARC into IRIS. We may also provide digitization on demand for things in IRIS that are not available in the repository.

(6) ETDs are sent to ProQuest after reaching the repository.

Reviewers will review dissertations in their individual programs.

A student is available to test her dissertation using the new process.

We need to develop a licensing agreement, and can perhaps use one available from Creative Commons.

We need to add an element in Rights Metadata to indicate that the ETD has been digitized.

6. News

A. Montanaro met with the group that is discussing videoconferencing. The trouble ticket tracking system will be used to note problems. Problems should also be reported to each unit's PC Coordinator. We need a better process for identifying types of problems, locations, and time of day when the problem occurred.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/tsc/minutes/tsc_06_01_12.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)