Minutes of October 23, 2008 Meeting
- K. Au, S. Bartz, E. Berger, N. Borisovets (recorder), J. Cassel (chair), M. De Fino, V. Dent, J. Gardner, T. Glynn, S. Harrington, M. Kesselman, T. Kuchi, C. Radick, W. Ren, R. Womack
- S. Beck, F. Puniello, C. Sterback
Added "RUCore Liaison" as an agenda item.
2. Cataloging Policy for Printouts of Born-Digital Materials (Melissa De Fino)
Cataloging currently has several hundred printouts of web-based materials that have been submitted for cataloging by
individual selectors. Cataloging has developed policies for what will be accepted for cataloging and what cataloging
treatment will be applied.
- USC will ask LRC to consider draft policies for the collection development of such materials.
- USC will ask the LRC to consider developing procedures for selector to determine that copyright and licensing agreements are not being violated with the printing/cataloging of such materials.
Would it not make more sense to save and access these born-digital materials in their original format?
- It seems counter-intuitive to print out and catalog items that would be far more accessible and usable in their original formats.
- The GPO is encouraging libraries to save U.S. government-produced digital objects on their own sites.
- USC will ask the Scholarly Communications Committee to consider developing a policy for saving non-Rutgers born-digital objects in RUCore.
3. E-Reference Sources Issues (Bartz)
Two electronic reference sources packages (Gale and Sage) have been acquired. They are currently available from the E-
Reference Sources list; IRIS links are in-progress. The group that is looking at issues relating to electronic references
sources has not yet met.
4. Goals and Action Plan (Cassel)
Jeris has developed a list of "Activities to Advance Strategic Goals" for the three goals agreed to at the last meeting:
- Develop a user-focused research agenda to facilitate the assessment and development of library services, spaces, and tools.
- Develop a system-wide instructional philosophy to be used as the foundation for the development of an educational program to facilitate student learning.
- Develop a program for the educational development of public service librarians to ensure that our faculty is well prepared to meet users' changing needs and contribute work toward accomplishing the goals set forth in our strategic plan.
- Goals and activities were modified somewhat.
- Jeris will rewrite and forward by the October 24th deadline to Valeda with cc: to the group. (Document attached to this email.)
5. RUCore Liaison(Kuchi)
The Planning and Coordinating Committee has invited the USC to consider a formal liaison relationship with the RUCore User
Services and Applications Working Group.
Triveni Kuchi will be the official liaison between the USC and the Working Group.
The budget and open lines will be the focus of the November 7 faculty meeting.
Next Meeting: Thursday, November 20th, at 9:30 a.m. (Subsequently changed to 10 am).