STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of October 1, 2009 Meeting

Present:
Stephanie Bartz, Susan Beck, Natalie Borisovets (co-chair), Jeanne Boyle (guest), Mary Fetzer, Judy Gardner, Melissa Gasparotto, Tom Glynn, Sara Harrington (co-chair), Paulette Kerr (guest), Francoise Puniello, Caryn Radick, Wen-Hua Ren, Eileen Stec, Christopher Sterback (recorder), Ryan Womack
Excused:
Grace Agnew, Ka-Neng Au, Ed Berger, Melissa De Fino, Marty Kesselman

The meeting came to order at 9:35 a.m.

The agenda was approved with no changes.

The minutes from the September meeting were approved.

1. Discussion with Paulette Kerr, reference librarian and School of Communication and Information doctoral candidate with an expertise in online information literacy tutorials, re. RIOT (Related to Goal 3)

Paulette Kerr presented on her research in the conception and practice of online information literacy tutorials under a theoretical framework called "action theory". Action theory is a "sociological perspective that focuses on the individual as a subject and views social action as something purposively shaped by individuals within a context to which they have given meaning." (Robert Drislane, Ph.D. and Gary Parkinson, Ph.D, http://bitbucket.icaap.org/dict.pl?alpha=A_) Paulette is examining the relationships between espoused theory and conception of information literacy via online tutorials. She is also correlating these relationships with an institution's mission statement, goals, and strategic plans.

Online tutorials have become pervasive as a method for instructional tools; however, some institutions are overhauling or rethinking their deployment of online information literacy tutorials. Some of the reasons for the change are 1) institutions’ general education programs have changed, 2) the online tutorials no longer meet the need as an information literacy tool, and 3) institutions no longer want an all encompassing information literacy tool.

There is a movement towards collaboration in the competencies and outcomes of online tutorials outside of the library domain. At some institutions, information literacy is embedded in a larger general education program and is a learning object among a suite of tools. Faculty are being trained to add information literacy to their courses through cooperative development of assignments. Information literacy tutorials are also evolving. They are becoming shorter, with separate modules and learning outcomes, and are more focused on point of need (i.e. how to use electronic databases, how to find a book, how to find a journal)

How does this relate to Rutgers RIOT? RIOT is one model of a re-designed tutorial. It is an interactive information literacy tool divided into five short modules that helps one learn about the components of the research process. It was developed collaboratively between the library and programs and offices of the New Brunswick/Piscataway Campus. Paulette raised some general questions about RIOT:

USC members were very interested in Paulette's research and thanked her for her interesting, timely, and thoughtful presentation.

2. Update on IPAC discussion of ethnographic study comments on IRIS and VALE OLS

Stephanie reported on IPAC's review of the ethnographic study comments. Stephanie stated that most of the comments were internal to IRIS and were not related to the library website. (IPAC will work on the "internal to IRIS" comments this fiscal year.) The comments related to IRIS and the website were:

a. make IRIS more prominent on the library website

b. show where item is physically located within a library once found in IRIS

c. improve IRIS quick search so that pressing the ENTER key more reliably starts the search. Right now, pressing the ENTER key works, unless someone makes a selection in one of the IRIS pull-downs (i.e. index to search or library to search). Sam is mocking up alternative pages for IPAC's review.

Stephanie also reported that she contacted Rich Sweeney, member of the Vale executive committee, regarding Rutgers willingness to participate in the VALE OLS discovery-tool committee. This is the group that will choose a statewide discovery layer (i.e. OPAC). Rich responded that the committee has not yet formed but, when it is, he will let Stephanie know.

3. Discussion of formation of group (with LRC) to examine federated search products and ethnographic study comments on federated search products

Sara reported that she contacted current chair of the Library Resources Council, Karen Hartman, to form a group to review the comments on federated search products from the ethnographic study. As discussion ensued, USC suggested that, instead of creating a new group, the ethnographic comments could be referred to DIG (Database Interface Group) because 1) DIG is already responsible for the assessment and development of federated searching and 2) DIG includes members from LRC and USC. USC also believes that DIG could handle the ethnographic study comments on vendor issues and will include these with the comments on federated search.

4. Discussion of formation of group to examine ethnographic study comments on citation managers.

Sara asked for volunteers from USC to review the comments on citation managers. Judy Gardner and Susan Beck volunteered to review and provide feedback. Stephanie observed that it may be difficult to respond to comments on citation managers in light of the fact that RUL does not maintain this product.

5. Discussion of ethnography project comments on instruction.

Since instruction is a primary goal of USC, Sara reported that she will lead the review of ethnographic study comments related to instruction. Eileen Stec and Tom Glynn volunteered to assist.

6. Other areas in ethnographic study comments that need review.

Natalie volunteered to lead the AAL team on the review of comments related to Ask a Librarian and Meebo.

Judy Gardner reported that ASC will review the comments related to access services and interlibrary loan.

7. The meeting adjourned at 10:50 a.m.

8. Next Meeting

The next User Services Council meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 5, 9:30 a.m. in the University Librarian's Conference Room.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Sterback



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/usr/minutes/usrmin_09_10_01.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)