STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of May 6, 2010 Meeting

Present:
Sara Harrington, Natalie Borisovets, Grace Agnew, Stephanie Bartz, Judy Gardner (recorder), Rebecca Gardner, Melissa Gasparotto, Marty Kesselman, Francoise Puniello, Wen-Hua Ren, Eileen Stec, Chris Sterback, Ryan Womack, Melissa De Fino, Tibor Purger, John Maxymuk
Excused:
Mary Fetzer, Caryn Radick
Guests:
Harry Glazer, Katie Anderson, Karen Hartman, Gene Springs, Sam McDonald

1. Approval of the Agenda (Sara Harrington)

The agenda was approved as distributed.

2. Approval of the Minutes of the April 1, 2010 Meeting (Sara Harrington)

The minutes were circulated and are posted on sakai; send corrections to Sara via email.

3. Introduction and Welcome of Tibor Purger (Grace Agnew, Tibor Purger)

Grace introduced Tibor Purger, Director of IIS, who is looking forward to working with USC as part of the ongoing website redesign.

4. Revisions to Faculty Guide and Discussion on Perceptions of the Libraries (Harry Glazer)

The committee approved the concept of a bookmark as pointer to the Faculty Services webpage in place of a print faculty guide. Suggestions for the bookmark include replace the url with a visual (the button as it will appear on the website), make text shorter and punchier, and eliminate traditional services that faculty already associate with the libraries and promote new and emerging services. The Faculty Services webpage will need to be updated to reflect these new and emerging services. Harry will send Sara a revised draft by May 20th and Sara will post it on the sakai site for comments. As part of continual reassessment of the libraries brand, Harry asked committee members to email him informal feedback received from users that reflect their perception of the libraries.

5. Discussion and Adoption of LibGuides Task Force Report (Judy Gardner)

USC asked that the TF reassess whether sufficient research guides have migrated before removing the link from the website and transitioning totally to LibGuides on Sept 1st . The LibGuides TF Report was adopted with this change; it will be shared with rul_everyone. Gene Springs is RUL's LibGuides administrator and will work with Sam McDonald on style sheets and bringing in our logo. Librarians will receive logins in June.

6. Community Users Task Force-preliminary discussion and approval of Emerging Scholars form (Karen Hartman for Tom Glynn)

The council reviewed the "Rutgers University Libraries Emerging Scholar Program" request form. This form is for under 18-year olds to obtain a login to public access computers and it requires parent and teacher signatures. The form could be distributed to individuals as well as members of high school classes who return after BI sessions for individual research. The council suggested "enrolled in" and "program" be removed since there is no formal program, and noted, according to the revisions to PSPM 1 recently approved by USC, these students should still be accompanied by an adult. The concept of the form was approved; university counsel will review it next.

7. Discussion of brochures in print versus electronic format (Sara Harrington)

The council reviewed the "Active Publications, Forms, and Signage List" and recommended we discontinue the trifold "A Guide for Visitors" and "A Guide for Students." The library overview for international students is marked as retired already. Judy will check with access services staff about their use of the borrowing privileges and alumni and guest borrowing trifolds.

8. Updates/information sharing from AULS serving on Council (Grace Agnew, Francoise Puniello)

Grace announced the RUCore team will present a workshop for liaisons in August, covering tools and services liaisons can use to work with faculty in RUCore. For example, how to customize metadata, set up portals, create data sets, and deposit video, audio and images.

Streaming video will be available soon, beginning with a DVD series purchased with rights that will be converted. We will also stream VALE collections that faculty are using when rights have been negotiated, and personal videos.

Françoise announced power outlets would be installed in Douglass, Alexander, and LSM this summer.

9. Information Sharing

Gene Springs announced the Mobile Devices TF had its final meeting, will be writing its report virtually, and will present a final report at the Library Resources Council on June 17th.

Eileen reported that streaming instructional video maintenance group members met with Sam and Tibor.

Marty asked about the relationship of NBISG to the council, and suggested broad issues that all librarians participate in need big 'open forum' discussions.

10. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/usr/minutes/usrmin_10_05_06.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2013, Rutgers University Libraries   (Further Copyright Information)