Minutes of April 4, 2012 Meeting
- Katie Anderson, Co-Chair, (teleconferenced from Camden), Stephanie Bartz, Natalie Borisovets, Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic (teleconferenced from Camden), Joseph Deodato, Judy Gardner, Rebecca Gardner, Tom Glynn, Melissa Just, Kevin Mulcahy (Co-Chair), Fernanda Perrone, Tibor Purger, Francoise Puniello, Li Sun, Roberta Tipton (teleconferenced from Newark)
Meeting called to order at 9:36 AM. Agenda approved; minutes for March meeting posted on Sakai, and
poll for approval will be extended to Monday, April 9.
I. Catalog Survey Instrument - Joseph Deodato
- Survey asking librarians and staff for essential and preferred features in new catalog has been prepared by the subcommittee on the new catalog:
- Suggested changes from Li Sun & K. Mulcahy: "Support for non-Roman scripts" should be "Support for multiple languages including non-Roman characters." "Relevancy ranking" should appear under "results" not "Search Discovery."
- Joseph will have the survey live April 9 and it will be up for 2 ½ weeks. JD will report out to USC on May 2
- Survey was endorsed by USC, with thanks for the committee's good work.
II. Core Reference Responsibilities - Natalie Borisovets
- Tom Glynn is surveying peer institutions about norms for Reference responsibilities.
- Working group's final report in progress. Expected June completion.
III. Report on the READ Scale by Katie Anderson and Vibiana Cvetkovic
- READ Scale is a method used by many academic libraries to gather data beyond the number of questions being asked. The READ scale is used to collection information on the kind of reference question being asked, where reference questions are asked and through what medium.
- KEA and VBC recommend implementation by RUL.
- Discussion of READ and how it might be implemented - timeframe and potential problems ensued.
- USC approved the implementation of READ. Melissa Just will appoint a working group to study implementation and set a target date for its use by RUL.
IV. Instructional Streaming Video Team
- Mission of group is to integrate streaming video and media with instruction and reference. Suggestion was made to combine Web Board Instruction and Help Team with the Instructional Streaming Media Team. VBC volunteered to serve on the Instruction and Help team.
V. Headphones in New Brunswick
- Discussion about whether headphones should be sold at Access Desks
- Consensus that sale from Access Services Desks would pose too many problems, and alternative suggestion was made for vending machines to sell supplies like ear buds, flash drives, pens, etc. Francoise to investigate.
VI. USC Program on Info Literacy and Assessment
- USC will invite Jeanne Boyle to discuss potential programming.
VII. Rules of Procedure
- USC has been asked by Rules of Procedure to review its membership.
- Chair of IPAC will be changed to Chair of LCC, and LCC will designate its representative to USC (not necessarily the Chair) ;"
- USC proposes disbanding WAC., removing Chair of WAC from membership.
- Digital User Services Librarian (JD) and Cathy Pecoraro of DTS will continue as invited members.
- Melissa Just; Tibor Purger; and Natalie Borisovets reported out.
- Melissa has been visiting the libraries and centers. She has also been a guest at the University Librarian's Advisory Board.
- Tibor demoed the mobile website and the refreshed main website. It was agreed that the refresh does not change placement/labels and can go up before the end of the semester, especially in the hopes of getting feedback on the new search box.
- Natalie asked for a guide for instruction and reference on how to use the mobile apps.
- KEA and VBC discussed merger news from Camden.
IX. Future Meetings
- Bobbie Tipton will report out on ILIAC in May.
- Cathy Pecoraro is working on issues surrounding alumni remote use of databases.
- Agenda item for next meeting -- proposed clean-up of user record with regard to ld bills in WorkFlows.