STAFF RESOURCES

Minutes of June 19, 2015 Meeting

Present:
Grace Agnew, Kalaivani Ananthan, Stephanie Bartz, Natalie Borisovets, Janet Croft, Joseph Deodato, Bonnie Fong, Rebecca Gardner, Melissa Just, Yu-Hung Lin (co-chair), Mei Ling Lo, Christie Lutz, Jim Niessen, Kerry O'Rourke (recorder), Cathy Pecoraro, Elizabeth Surles, Michele Tokar, Bobbie Tipton (co-chair), Zara Wilkinson.

1) The agenda was approved

2) Minutes of the May USC meeting were approved via a poll on Sakai

3) Jim Niessen led a discussion concerning wireless access for the public. He reviewed a 2010 document (available on USC Sakai site) that discussed this issue and how it impacted libraries throughout the system. Currently librarians are allowed to provide guest accounts for up to 7 days but this practice is not often utilized by librarians within the system. Guest wireless access is not just a library issue. OIT is the provider of wireless access. Wireless security, capacity, staffing, and funding are all issues that impact providing wireless guest access. Faculty and students from eduroam institutions can utilize wireless while visiting RUL. For non eduroam visitors the libraries need to investigate with OIT the best way to provide guest accounts. It was suggested that we work the existing system better. Streamline guest ID provisions and processes and advocate for eduroam membership for college partners such as Rowan, Camden Count College, NJIT etc. Grace Agnew will post a query on the CIC Library Technical Infrastructure Group list in order to gather best practices at CIC member institutions. Grace will update Tibor on the guest wireless issue. The PC Working Group will work with USC members Zara Wilkinson (Camden), Kerry O'Rourke (RBHS), Natalie Borisovets (Newark), and Jim Niessen (New Brunswick) on this issue.

4) Mei Ling Lo and Michele Tokar provided a status report on the LSM online reservation for group study space. For the past two semesters LSM has utilized D!bs unmediated software for booking of study space. D!bs has been popular with students who use it but it lacks flexibility, for instance, it doesn't have a calendar view; it doesn't allow a user to filter by campus or location, and it doesn't allow restrictions (such as time restrictions for booking the room). For system wide use other products were researched by Mei Ling including LibCal, Asure, Resources on Demand (ROD), Open Room and EMS. Asure is too expense and ROD, a homegrown product from RWJMS, does not support Shibboleth or LDAP. EMS is used by RU visitor center and admissions office and Open Room is open source software. Open Room requires about 20 hours of initial staff time and then four hours per month. Recommendation: LSM will continue to use D!bs. Mei Ling will chair a committee to further investigate software for RUL system use with a projected date of implementation summer 2016. Committee members include Yu-Hung Lin, Michele Tokar, Janet Croft and Tibor Purger. Janet Croft will gather input from Access Services Committee. Kerry O'Rourke will check with Judy Cohn to see who from RBHS will participate.

5) Bobbie Tipton provided an ICOP update. The committee will be co-chaired by Leslin Charles and Roberta Bronson Fitzpatrick. Three issues will be addressed during the coming year 1) A common instruction database for statistics, 2) how ACRL Framework can be applied at RUL and 3) a web presence for RUL instruction.

6) Nominations, Representatives from Standing Committees, PlanCo Representative and Future Meetings: Yu-Hung Lin will represent USC on PlanCo until a new representative is being elected for 2015-2016. Two new members will join USC, Mei Ling Lo (Science) and Francesca Giannetti (Humanities). A representative from CSC to USC has yet to be named. The November and December meetings for USC will need to be adjusted because of University holidays falling on the fourth Thursday of those months.

7) Melissa Just report - A)Library closure update: the Physics Library is closing on June 30 and some of their materials will be moving into the Math Library, which will be renamed the Mathematical Sciences and Physics Library. The SERC reading room is closed, as usual, for the summer semesters. When it reopens for the fall semester it will no longer be administered by RUL. The Learning Centers have agreed to take over SERC starting this fall. They will continue to operate the center as a study hall. B) Media Team Update: Krista White will chair the media team. Kayo Denda will be responsible for the media LibGuide. Zara Wilkinson will be the Swank contact.

Grace Agnew report -- A) The PALCI Technical Advisory Group is investigating context friendly interface for EZ Borrow including an open source product (Umlaut) at Johns Hopkins and Illiad API. At the meeting, participants were also interested in exploring the feasibility of implementing OLE for a shared library management system to support universal borrowing. B) Push to digitize Institute of Jazz studies for the digital humanities lab. The iMac machines have been installed at the Lab and currently they are installing WordPress software on the test server.

8) Announcements: 1) Joseph Deodato -- Reminder about VuFind Training and request to provide feedback on beta version of catalog interface. 2) Yu-Hung Lin - ATS staff was working on the dark archive for the open access journals in RUL. All issues of the Electronic Journal of Boundary Elements (EJBE) are archived and he is working on the issues of the Programatic Case Studies in Psychotherapy. 3) Bobbie Tipton -- Events Assessment Task Force is compiling a comprehensive list of events. The task force will provide an update to USC in July or August.

9) Future agenda items: Krisellen Maloney will be invited to a future USC meeting.

10) Yu-Hung thanked Bobbie Tipton for her leadership on USC and wished her well on her upcoming sabbatical.



 
URL: http://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/rul/staff/groups/usr/minutes/usrmin_15_06_19.shtml
Website Feedback  |  Privacy Policy

© Copyright 1997-2017, Rutgers University Libraries